Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

100 songs challenge

100 songs challenge

Hey guys, 

A friend of my challenged me to make a playlist with 100 songs by 100 different artists a couple years ago.

And it turns out it's actually quite a difficult challenge. It's tough to pick which are your 100 favorite artists and then select your favorite song by each, I have to say mine is still a work in progress. I'll post my latest update of the list here this week. 

It would be interesting if we all did this and shared our playlists here. It's a great way to get a quick sense of each other's music taste. 

168 Replies

Ok here we go, I've chopped and changed tracks, almost cried about leaving particular artists out but I got there in the end. This was a really refreshing experience for me and took me back to some albums I hadn't listened to in some cases for decades. I hope you enjoy it and I'm looking forward to listening to all your playlists now I'm finished (well kind of anyway)!

@Gidyin Good one ๐Ÿ™‚

Many artists in common and some others that I would have included in mine if the limit was not 100 ๐Ÿ˜„

Only one thing, Even if I like the version starting your playlist,  for me the only version of Apache will keep to be the original by The Shadows. In my very young time all the wannabe guitarists were trying to play that and also the intro of What I Say. ๐Ÿ™‚

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Sorry @Soundofus but I have to disagree with you there. It may not be the original but it's the best and is also far more important in terms of the evolution of music, as it was one of the first tracks to be used as a sample in the early days of hip-hop from the likes of Grand Master Flash. The bongo drum beat is still sampled in tracks to this day.

@Gidyin

In fact we don't talk about the same thing ๐Ÿ™‚

The 1960 version by The Shadows is the original one, made the British charts and was the most influential rock 45s for guitarist in the pre-Beatles aera.

The 1973 version by the Incredible Bongo Band didn't reach any success when it went out BUT the percussion break part they added in the middle is effectivly the one which somewhere originated Hip-Hop and has been sampled a lot. But what has been sampled is not really the "Apache" theme but just the drums/percussions part.

btw, the song is not in my 100 best artists/songs but for me, definately, Apache = The Shadows ๐Ÿ™‚ It's surely a question of generation D

SoundofusSpotify Star

Definitely a generational thing @gerard, now you are really showing me your age!

@Gidyin : Great list, i can see we have a similar taste, only mine is more jazzy.

My Spotify Profile: Jazzwhatever

Cheers @Jazzwhatever , enjoyed your too. I liked the Roni Size track, it took me back to my misspent teenage years! Also the Kruder & Dorfmeister, Lamb remix. The K&D Sessions is one of my all time favourite albums but isn't on here ๐Ÿ˜ž

That was actually a lot harder than I expected ๐Ÿ˜›

Here is how I organized it, with the artists ranked from most to least favorite:

• Hum through James Blake: My absolute favorite artists. The order here is pretty much set in stone.
  • Gin Blossoms through Dinosaur Jr.: I listen to these bands all of the time, and I generally refer to them as some of my favorites.
  • Unwound through Sunny Day Real Estate: Bands that I listen to often, but sit on the line between favorites and bands that I really like. Order gets fuzzier here.
  • Drop Nineteens through The Smiths: Bands that I keep in constant rotation, although they aren't necessarily my favorites. Order continues to get more vague.
  • Superdrag through Catherine Wheel: The general "I like these bands more than average" zone. From here down, order reaches its most vague
  • Fountains Of Wayne to Two Gallants: Although I haven't heard much from these bands, I like what I've heard so far and listen to them more than others that aren't on the list.

spotify:user:wahoo650:playlist:6d22BRqloqZJ1oH0fQIU7d

@wahoo650

Very great taste ๐Ÿ™‚

SoundofusSpotify Star

Hey guys!

Some months ago I create a playlist with 100 songs (similar to @meahtenoha says on the first post) called "Imprescindibles Diestro". I know that the playlist needs to update with recently songs that I listen (like Dreams of Beck, Guilty of Racoon...) ,but most of the songs are the soundtrack of my life.

spotify:user:diestro:playlist:7FuTySNIcEc6xxUwL4KaRr

Spotify Profile

Last.fm Profile

@wahoo650 love that you put Sunny Day Real Estate track. It feels like no one really knows them.

@JESquare don't worry, i know them too ๐Ÿ˜›

My Spotify Profile: Jazzwhatever

@JESquare I know! Considering the fact that they laid the blueprint for most 90's emo, it's a shame that so few people have heard of them outside of In Circles and Seven.

My top 100 artist/song playlist.  This is based on my last.fm stats for the last nine years.

spotify:user:1223921467:playlist:2j8bqlAdgtZpK8YrV50HQN

@finance5

Hello and thanks to post your 100 challenge. Great selection ๐Ÿ™‚

SoundofusSpotify Star

So I decided, insted of doing my current top 100, I'd choose the 100 artist that were my favourite at some point in my life. Even though some of these artist aren't "still" in my top 100 I still listen to them and remember the days when they were.

I had intended to put them in order of when I like them but decided just to go random.  Also if song wasn't available I picked the next best track I liked.

100 SONGS

I'd say that rule is pretty representative of my list too @JESquare 

Finally finished, here it is:

spotify:user:merehumphrey:playlist:1BrnNaFKaYAaRGQlwzaVap

Hi Everyone!

I like this challenge and will also join it. But I haven't started yet;P

Stay Awesome!

Q

Hi again everyone, I started yesterday doing the playlist for the challenge and I had a "flow" ๐Ÿ˜œ

The order of the tracks in the playlist is irrelevant...

Q

I am nearly done with mine... but instead of doing this with *All-Time* faves I am doing it with currently random faves which is going to be super interesting. I can't wait to have it done and post it here ๐Ÿ˜„

Slip
Into the bath
Into the grey
Hating yourself so much it hurts
Wake
Up from a nap
Wish you were brave
But you're not that kind of person

My last.fm profile page: http://last.fm/user/Sekhmet9

Suggested posts