Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bon Iver 22, A Million

Bon Iver 22, A Million

For me, the most anticipated album of the year is Bon Iver's 22, A Million out Sept 30th. 

Bon Iver is in my top 10 of all time, yes all time. I've been listening to it again today, falling in love with it all over again. 

What do you all think of the two tracks we've heard so far of 22, a million?  You can watch them perform "8 (circle)" here. For me personally, I think it could be their best yet. 

spotify:track:1gil9V4XyCurI6DIwN0xrM:small

20 Replies

Didn't know they had a new album coming out! Think this track will be a grower, need to listen to it a few more times. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.

Since the self-titled debut, Bon Iver has been my #1 ^_^ so I definitely agree! i personally get into 22 more though (at least so far) so good though!!

It's here.

Going through my first listen now. This one took my breath away--much the same way "Holocene" immediately knocked me over with Bon Iver. 

spotify:track:7eRU0RltchvgOTSbX6vmdv:small

Headed to Berlin to see him this weekend here. Never been more excited.

@meahtenoha I'm loving this at the moment. Always passively enjoyed Bon Iver but really digging this quite actively! He's my kind of artist, like Frank Ocean really in that he can just release something and everyone will go wild. Beiber he is not.

Just listened to this album for the first time last night and at first I didn't know what to think of it. This is by far the most experimental Bon Iver record we've gotten thus far and after listening it a couple of times, I do think it's their most impressive. The music is beautiful. Vernon's falsetto also never disappoints. My favorite track is "29 #Strafford APTS" because of the haunting altered vocals. It's so good. But I also did want to know other's opinions as well so please share!

Too experimental to me

I just love that he does his own thing, not in the pursuit of fame but just because it's an outlet or a way to process thoughts. It kind of does what most of my favourite albums do, which is it puts me in a different state or takes me somewhere else, It makes me feel differently when I really soak in the music. 

I can't stand it. I'm all for experimental music and doing new and daring things, but I guess I couldn't get into it. Oh, well. I'll try it again later.

I love it so so so much, Bon Iver has had one of the biggest influences on my taste in music and For Emma, Forever Ago was like the Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars of Bowie's collection. Which is also why I understand why a lot of people don't like 22, A Million.

I think a lot of people were expecting another album of songs similar to FEFA and the self-titled album. Similar to when Black Star came out for Bowie, people said it was too experimental. People are saying the same for this album but - aaagh holy *bleep* am I the only one who can't get enough of it?

This album is just one of those perfectly rounded albums where each song tells a short story on its own but together make one beautiful tale. Very much like Dark Side Of The Moon.

Love it or leave it for another time when you'll learn to love it. 22, A Million is a beautiful record.

Heard it. It sounds like James Blake from 2011 with Kanye West adjusting the auto tune.
So I got back to James Blake. I like the guy, I'm just missing the point on this record.

OK

Very experimental and and at times not very focused but Vernon's falsetto is exceptional  . I like the change of style from the indie folk stuff in Bon Iver to a more electronic sound. The album contains loads of immersive, atmospheric buildups combined with chilling yet beautiful vocals.  My favourite song is 8(circle), the sax interlude around the three minute mark is quite moving and the layered vocals at the end provide an excellent climax. Another favourite is 29 #Stafford APTS whitch returns to Bon Iver's roots with an acousitc instrumental. 

spotify:track:47IklCMgkgWvI4jpkdrop0

I agree with one of the earlier commenters who mentioned the similarities to Bowie and therefore not everyone would resonate with this record. It is a very unqiue sound that appears glitchy and unpolished, it was a brave move to create a raw album that not everyone would enjoy

Does anyone else find 715-Creeks sounds a lot like James Blake's Fall Creek Boys Choir, which Vernon featured on himself?

I highly recommend reading the blog post about Justin Vernon's journey in writing this album, it really puts the emotions behind each song into perspective.

Hey @letterhavoc could you link to the article? Thanks!

I love it. Just saw them perform it live last week here in San Diego. Does anyone else have some glitchy sounds and drop-outs in the audio on this album? Is it just me or is it part of the production?

@4ChrisRyan Justin Vernon felt the sound was too polished on its first iteration so re-produced it to add quirkiness and individuality to the sound

This is probably the best song on the album for me aswell. 

Love the percussion in the whole song, but perticularly in the last 20 seconds, its awesome. 

Sadly the rets of the album didn't hit me like this song did at first, but it usually takes a couple listens!

Suggested posts