Cult albums

Cult albums

Soundofus
Rock Star 20
Rock Star 20

If you really are a music collector or a music addict, you must have  some cult albums.  Depending your age, it can be just a few albums or sometimes many of them.

What is a cult album ?

- First of all, it's an album that you listen regularly with the same pleasure whatever the year of release.

- A cult album can be also an album without any success when it went out, but which gained notoriety through the years.

- A cult album can be also an album which, for some reason, got a special importance in your personal life.

- A cult album can be an album which let an indelible mark in popular music history.

All that said and waiting to hear about yours, here are some of mine.

Let It Bleed by The Rolling Stones (1969)

spotify:album:4l4u9e9jSbotSXNjYfOugy:small

With 3 "giant" songs bringing you to heaven when they are played live : Gimmie Shelter, Midnight Rambler, You Can't Always Get What You Want.

In Rock by Deep Purple (1970)

spotify:album:2bjTVISSsvwia7uxrrEsuQ:small

A "monument" of Hard Rock with a genius cover art and some memorable tracks : Speed King, Child in Time.

Only one regret is that the version on Spotify is not exactly the original one, but an anniversary edition. I have nothing against extended edition, but it needs also the original version as it has been released.

London Calling by The Clash (1979)

spotify:album:6FCzvataOZh68j8OKzOt9a:small

THE DOUBLE ALBUM of the Punk generation. From the beginning to the end a collection of great songs with a generational anthem : London Calling.

OK Computer by Radiohead (1997)

spotify:album:7dxKtc08dYeRVHt3p9CZJn:small

Another "monument" with unforgettable tracks like : Paranoid Android, Karma Police, Exit Music (For a Film). Chills guaranteed when you hear that live.

I have limited this post to 4 albums but I could add many more.

Now, I am curious to hear from you.

twitter.com/soundofus

www.soundofus.com

SoundofusRock Star 20
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
7 Replies

Sebasty
Rock Star 18
Rock Star 18

That's a bit of a question I've been pondering for a few hours now :')

Going by the definition of "album that you enjoy listening to on a regular basis", I have one cult album: ISAM

spotify:album:6JiPQzrQs9VTk0cRW9kyS2:small

Interesting Sounds Amon Made (no, the true meaning is Invented Sounds Applied to Music) is actually the only album in my library with rather insane number of plays.
I am not quite sure why I love that album so much. Could be partly that it's live set completely blew my mind on a scale I have never experienced before.

Other than that...

I had an Empire of the Sun cult back when Amon came out with ISAM. A huge obsession. . .

I have a lot of songs that are important to me and there are other albums that make me fly, but ISAM would still be the only cult album for me 🙂

Edit: I spoke worlds about ISAM, but failed to give a play button. I have included a play button now. :')

SebastyRock Star 18

Jpgchief
Rock Star 14
Rock Star 14

Nice thread Gerard @Soundofus and inmediately came to me this album 

spotify:album:6P7vL4vGgyrD7q9VR9BcnV:small

I always love to listent to this album, an conceptual album, and in 2017 I write down this threa Steven Wilson Hand Cannot Erase, makes me feel the shivers every time I listen to it.

Anothe album that I can call a cult album not for me but for a entire generation is this one

spotify:album:5Dbax7G8SWrP9xyzkOvy2F:small

I still remember the day that I saw that film for the first time ( although really he should say that it should try to see it) it was hard for  me,   it shocks me too much, I was very young.

I'm a big Pink Floy fan and also love the work as a solo artist by Roger Waters, and this albums is one of my favorites definitely

spotify:album:2XhQwji1ixgjca0XzkiTek:small

Finally another album that gives me the shivers every time

spotify:album:64fSxAoj1irluNrZzkdaAt:small

It is enough to me to say that this is "the album" that enjoys very much with my elder son and  for this motive will always have a special place in my heart. But do get me wrong, love every song in this album.

JpgchiefRock Star 14

rossi1911
Community Legend

My first cult album is Morning Glory. It never ceases to amaze me and I listen to it regularly at least once a week.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1VW1MFNstaJuygaoTPkdCk?si=RxY5d8nSRRGuK0zDGfi4_g

The second one is American Idiot because I'm a fan of Green Day.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5Qhn2FpGWmTjCuntF09j7g?si=eZYNFqlqT3KxuyG7lZAjwQ

Soundofus
Rock Star 20
Rock Star 20

Two other of my Cult Albums that it's not possible to forget as much as they lit up Pop History.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles (1967)

spotify:album:6QaVfG1pHYl1z15ZxkvVDW:small

Tommy by The Who (1969) / One of the first Rock Opera

spotify:album:1n69DLN2ztnuzmwPgcb1fr:small

twitter.com/soundofus

www.soundofus.com

SoundofusRock Star 20

Soundofus
Rock Star 20
Rock Star 20

Two others of my cult albums...

Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd (1970) : First monument from PInk Floyd with the suite of over 23 minutes filling a full side of a vinyl.

spotify:album:5c1ZTzT4oSkiiFS4wmEuOe:small

The self-titled debut album by Dire Straits (1978) : the first listening was like receive a punch in the face with this so fresh guitar sound of Mark Knopfler...

spotify:album:2rCS6Xwx32V27pvgFzLzlT:small

twitter.com/soundofus

www.soundofus.com

SoundofusRock Star 20

Soundofus
Rock Star 20
Rock Star 20

Another of my cult album...

When 80s was turning into the beginning of computer music, ZZ Top and their heavy Blues-Rock was there to maintain the flame...

spotify:album:5LMGAYhn2ywaxGZdtmXGpw

twitter.com/soundofus

www.soundofus.com

SoundofusRock Star 20

Soundofus
Rock Star 20
Rock Star 20

In Pop Culture History, the album Parklife by Blur (1994) will keep to be a monument of what has been called : Britpop.

spotify:album:0YS25Dr3hMtMFlVTfuvzl4

twitter.com/soundofus

www.soundofus.com

SoundofusRock Star 20
SUGGESTED POSTS