Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Custom Avatar for Spotify App

Custom Avatar for Spotify App

That Spotify pulls my avatar from FB is a nice start.  But my musical identity is a subset of my total personality, and for that reason I'd like to be able to have a unique and custom avatar specific to Spotify.  I doubt I'm much different from the average spotify user in that respect; I find a lot of music enthusiasts here.  After all, I can do this pretty much everywhere to include this forum!

The idea of a custom avatar for the spotify app has been proposed previously, but has been relegated to inactive status due to lack of kudos.  So if you support a custom avatar for the spotify app, give kudos to this post!  What do you say spotify community?!

10 Replies

There is already a pretty large Ideas topic suggesting this change:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Picture-on-Profile/idi-p/11523

Unfortunately it has been marked as "Not Right Now" meaning it won't be added in the near future.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Have you guys considered that many of us have jobs or other such situations where we don't want everyone being all in our business about what music we choose to listen to?  

Does Facebook secretly own Spotify?  Why is such an awesome app as Spotify slave to such an ancient behemoth like Facebook just for a simple avatar??  It's 2014, guys!!

I'm sure 50% of your users these days could code it for you, just sayin'.

Makes no sense at all - there's got to be some sinister explanation...

Personally I think it is down to moderation of content, if Spotify only allow images from Facebook then Facebook are ultimately responsible for moderating the content and removing anything obscene - if you could upload avatars etc, someone at Spotify would have to do it.

Just a thought!

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@Samaudily wrote:

Have you guys considered that many of us have jobs or other such situations where we don't want everyone being all in our business about what music we choose to listen to?  

Does Facebook secretly own Spotify?  Why is such an awesome app as Spotify slave to such an ancient behemoth like Facebook just for a simple avatar??  It's 2014, guys!!

I'm sure 50% of your users these days could code it for you, just sayin'.

Makes no sense at all - there's got to be some sinister explanation...

LOL yeah, spotify probly angling to curry favor from FB - hoping for that $15 billion buyout offer!

Lindytunes1 - I think you're on the right track! 😉

Peter - "moderation of content"? Seriously? That's REALLY weak. That's scraping the bottom of the barrel weak. That's down inside the barrel on your hands and knees with a tiny spoon scraping weak. Maybe even lowered down into the barrel with an electron microscope and a lillipudlian ice pick searching the bottom of the barrel for the slightest trace of a reason that might have a whiff of a chance of not making people laugh out loud when they read it.. weak.

Except that it IS making people laugh out loud when they read it.

@Samaudily If you can't think of a real argument to counter someone else's it's sometimes better to be silent than to turn to insults.

Feel free to discuss, but try to do so in a polite manner.

Community Ergo Sum

As to the general topic here. I can only imagine the manpower we would need to manually check all the individual graphics being uploaded for user's avatars.

It could take just one slightly disturbed individual to upload something, shall we say, inappropriate, and upset many other people, parents, children.

Being Dutch, I can only say you don't build below sea level until you have a proper dam in place.

Community Ergo Sum

I agree i personally hate all their default default avatars 

I am using Spotify on desktop

Would appreciate knowing if there is a way to 

upload my own photo as an avatar

Updating the one on Spotify app on cell

has already been done.

Trying to do it for the forum.

Any assistance appreciated.

Suggested posts