Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Discover Weekly Algorithm

Discover Weekly Algorithm

So my friend and I have recently noticed something interesting about the Discover Weekly playlists.

We have similar tastes in music and we share a lot of songs with each other. Every time I discover new songs I collect them in a playlist that I later share with my friend. I've recently realized that he started to listen to the songs I was gathering in my playlists in his Discover Weekly. Every week, there are at least 4-5 songs that I actively listen to or have already put in a playlist I'm making for him in his Discover Weekly. He told me that he noticed the exact same thing with mine.  I literally have to remove half of the songs from my playlists because my friend has already discovered them haha. Spotify, please stop cheating from us lol

Jokes aside, I think that gives a hint about how the algorithm for Spotify's song recommendations works. Has anyone else come across something like this?

2 Replies

Hey!
I have been trying to get answers like this from here (from Spotify) little over one year now.

Discover Weekly algorithm works so that it suggests the songs what the listeners of the songs you already listen listens. Thats it.

It creates a bubble where after one year you and your friend, who listens the same music since you share them, get the same songs over and over. Its not a "Discovery Weekly" Its more like "Get more songs from your bubble" even tho you press "dislike" to the songs they will be there. Algorithm also gets so few "Discovery" samples from outside of the bubble that your own searching wont even matter.

Only solution to this from the support was to delete your account and create a new one. (Will also start suggesting the same songs after one year.)

Thank you and see you next year when I get mad about this again.

Thank you for your comment, I think this makes a lot of sense. I also feel like Spotify has put us in a little bubble with Discover Weekly, it’s really hard to discover new songs anymore.

Suggested posts