How to buy songs?

Solved!

How to buy songs?

Flipp
Casual Listener

Hey there,

this may sound like a real stupid question, but how do I buy songs? I have Spotify Premium and according to the FAQ it is possible to buy songs and get them as MP3. Now I just can't figure out how to Download them (and yes, I tried right clicking on them , but in the Pop-Up menu there is no such point.)

However, I am able to make songs available Offline (since I have Premium) , but I guess this is not the same as buying songs, because I want them as MP3.

Maybe anyone can clarify this for me?

Best Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

Peter__
Community Legend

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

The FAQs are in need of updating, it is no longer possible to purchase tracks through Spotify as mp3's as the downloads store has been recently removed from all countries (it was never available everywhere) whilst they focus on new streaming features and improving the service. 

I would suggest you have a read at this FAQ about the downloads store as well as the main topic on this issue here.

At present, Spotify have not ruled out the return of the downloads store in the future, but there are no current plans to restore it. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

50 Replies

redbird1946

Surprised that no one has submitted any updated questions about this in 4 1/2 years.

freedoomusic
Casual Listener

Was easier to accept the fact that this won't happen again.

Mialga
it would be nice to purchase from the artist through spotify. like you can in Pandora, iTunes, Google Play, DatPiff or any other music apps...apps that I can't find local artists on like I can with Spotify.

owen_m

I just wanted to add my two cents here and say that I recently allowed my premium subscription to lapse because of the inability to purchase downloads for offline play. As a DJ I really want the ability to buy songs from my favorites list so I can spin them at the club on my DJ software. Google Play allows this so I switched to them.

In addition, the Google Play UI has a few advantages over Spotify, one of them being that the radio player shows you a long, simple list of previously played songs, so if you like a song from many songs ago on the radio, it's easy to go back and find it. Doesnt seem possible with Spotify's cover-flow style radio UI.

The only big advantage that Spotify has over Google Play is that, for now, GP is only available as a web app on the desktop. If GP ever launches a native desktop app, I will probably never give Spotify a second look. 

Thanks for creating such a great music app that I've used for the last few years, but for now I am moving on.

Chillm0de
Casual Listener
I would love if you brought it back, focus on high quality electronic music. Its very hard to find mixes/tunes from rather unknown djs elsewhere in high quality.

user-removed
Not applicable

Hey there.

@Chillm0de wrote:
I would love if you brought it back, focus on high quality electronic music. Its very hard to find mixes/tunes from rather unknown djs elsewhere in high quality.

There was option to do that inside Spotify, but it's removed year ago. Spotify want to be leader of streaming. Also if you have Premium, you can download these tracks offline and no need for internet connection. Want a party? Open up the dancefloor, connect your phone to your sound system using AUX and start your motherSwearing party. Yes, start it now! Big smile

Btw electronic is crazy music!

Chillm0de
Casual Listener

That has ofc been done alot of times. But im talkning about being able to buy songs so you can use them for dj ing. An application for beeing able to access spotify playlists from Traktor or a similar program would be great otherwise.

user-removed
Not applicable

This is not possible anymore to buy Songs from Spotify.

I suggest to try Beatport, it's popular at least in handsup (harddance and hardstyle music).

deezbear

An impressive list of songs to choose from.  No matter how you hype it up, I'm still paying  $120 a year for glorified jukebox.  You have a very impressive set up, but your elevator just doesn't quite make it to the top floor. 

Peter__
Community Legend
$120 a year for unlimited streamed music sounds like the bargain of the century to me. I guess it comes down to if you like to own your music or not, and I'm perfectly happy just to pay to stream it from Spotify.

Peter

islandhopper50

I am wondering why it's not easier to purchase the music off Spotify?   I love to use Spotify to find new music but when I really like something, I'd rather support the artist by buying the music than just streaming it forever.  I've read about some really negative feelings by artists toward Spotify because they are not making profit.   But they also feel the need to be on here to get their music out so it's kind of a catch 22.  Anyway - it seems that Spotify could make it much simpler for the listener to buy the music they like (and also give more benefit to the artists).   I've made whole playlists of songs I love but going back and forth between spotify and itunes to buy them is not ideal.....

Peter__
Community Legend

@islandhopper50 wrote:

I am wondering why it's not easier to purchase the music off Spotify?   I love to use Spotify to find new music but when I really like something, I'd rather support the artist by buying the music than just streaming it forever.  I've read about some really negative feelings by artists toward Spotify because they are not making profit.   But they also feel the need to be on here to get their music out so it's kind of a catch 22.  Anyway - it seems that Spotify could make it much simpler for the listener to buy the music they like (and also give more benefit to the artists).   I've made whole playlists of songs I love but going back and forth between spotify and itunes to buy them is not ideal.....

We did used to have this functionality in certain markets, but it was removed. 

More details over on this ideas topic.

Peter

Peter

1karin2micke
Casual Listener

How do I do to buy songs?

How do I ad a tag?

It was easier before, why not now?

Mikael Sylwan

Joe
Community Legend

You can't buy songs from Spotify. Music in the Spotify database is tagged by the publishers so there is no option to change the tags.

Zimmy

That is a pain...when do you intend to re-establish buying? I don't want to pay a premium subscription. Spotify was great when you could listen to a whole album and then buy...all in the one site - perfect. Now that means I have to go to Amazon, or, god-forbid, i-tunes to purchase what I have just listened to...doesn't make sense to me. Plus you are losing revenue! Explain please.

Peter__
Community Legend

@Zimmy wrote:

That is a pain...when do you intend to re-establish buying? I don't want to pay a premium subscription. Spotify was great when you could listen to a whole album and then buy...all in the one site - perfect. Now that means I have to go to Amazon, or, god-forbid, i-tunes to purchase what I have just listened to...doesn't make sense to me. Plus you are losing revenue! Explain please.

Spotify currently have no plans to bring back the downloads store. 

There is a full staff response to my feature request topic here if you fancy a read. 

Peter

Peter

moga

What can we do to persuade Spotify to bring this feature back?  Even if only for premium members?  it used to work really well - buying in batches and the songs were already on our playlists.

Peter__
Community Legend

@moga wrote:

What can we do to persuade Spotify to bring this feature back?  Even if only for premium members?  it used to work really well - buying in batches and the songs were already on our playlists.

Add you kudos and comments of support to this ideas topic

Peter

Peter

Solution!

Peter__
Community Legend

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

The FAQs are in need of updating, it is no longer possible to purchase tracks through Spotify as mp3's as the downloads store has been recently removed from all countries (it was never available everywhere) whilst they focus on new streaming features and improving the service. 

I would suggest you have a read at this FAQ about the downloads store as well as the main topic on this issue here.

At present, Spotify have not ruled out the return of the downloads store in the future, but there are no current plans to restore it. 

Peter

Peter

View solution in original post

DrSquiggly
Visitor

That is extremely stupid...

SUGGESTED POSTS