Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Indie/Alternative] Recommend a band with <500 followers

[Indie/Alternative] Recommend a band with <500 followers

Spotify has a lot of great, undiscovered indie and alternative artists. Some of them just need a push into the spotlight. 

In this thread you can recommend your favorite indie artists with less than 500 Spotify followers. 

Adult Mom has just 398 followers, but they're a promising all-female indie band from New York. I'd recommend for fans of Rilo KileyFrankie Cosmos. 

Label: Tiny Engines

spotify:track:0JUd8BsFKe78p9Jq0LWBZB

To add a Spotify Play Button:

1. Right click on the desired song. 

2. Click 'Copy Spotify URI'. 

3. Go to your Community post.  

4. Click 'Insert/edit link button'

5. Paste URI. 

6. Click Post.     

We'll collect all the tracks in this playlist:

spotify:user:spotifycommunity:playlist:6WBcjapsLGoIWXx5Qq0bZO

85 Replies

The Hot Toddies are an all girl band from Oakland, California.

With album titles like "Smell the Mitten" and "Get Your Heart On" - i think you can get the gist of their sense of humor.

Great summer listening!

spotify:track:6ncru4BKqcuAhJfqjHiXo5

I found Rathborne (495 followers) through Spotify UK's Hot New Bands playlist. 

'Last Forgiven' is fast becoming my favorite go-to catchy song for this summer. 

spotify:track:5qrcvTNkPrEpJuAslImtE6

It seems he's made a playlist of the songs that inspired his new album 'Soft' as well:

spotify:user:deckerluke:playlist:3SbNeNumxmVaApOWhe0MBp

spotify:track:2Y30jV9uFIDbFlwlubvGK4 Not sure why they don't have a larger following..

Follow me

These guys are just shy of 500 followers. Heard them on the Simon Raymonde Amazing Radio show that airs each Monday 2pm eastern. spotify:track:1iLVxsbAyuDj5x4KjCQTZk

Follow me

Total Babes released Heydays just last week. They're a bit undiscovered on Spotify (271 followers) but their "Heydays" single caught my attention. I highly recommend for fans of Girls and Cloud Nothings (drummer Jayson Gerycz is in the band).

spotify:track:21fxWT0O0sL4GJ8391av9R

Hello !

The Hotel Alexis  ( 48 Followers )

Sidney Lindner was a reliable sideman with Josh Ritter and Torrez until 2004. Playing with Josh Ritter made Lindner want to see what he could do with his own songs, and after a particularly harrowing radio show in Philadelphia, Lindner left to form The Hotel Alexis.
( http://rebelyellpr.com/ )

""

Wild Moth is pretty awesome post-hardcore group from the San Francisco Bay Area with only 387 followers at the moment.

Recommended for fans of: Dinosaur Jr., Title FightSonic Youth

spotify:track:1OX0jhmmnPLFN2VipHlj6k

Hello !

Mr Pine ( 2 Followers )

Mr. Pine are a Canadian psych folk band formed in 2003 from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
The band's music combines elements of acid folk, classical music, pop, and several kinds of roots music, especially British folk music. The band was formed in 2003 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, by Matt McLennan and Kevin Scott.
Matt, coming from a background of punk, noise, pop and folk, and Kevin, coming from a background of college rock, traditional folk and especially classical music (he has a Grade X Royal Conservatory diploma for piano), had many discussions about a kind of music that they could create, containing several disparate elements. The desire was to write in a unique, diverse style, employing everything from minimal accompaniments to lush and expansive ones, utilizing a wide array of instruments such as dulcimers and harpsichords in addition to conventional instrumentation. The idea was that each song would be treated as an individual entity without concern about how the songs would "blend" on the album - the more disjointed in fact, the better.
The resulting debut album, The Gift of Wolves, was released in April, 2006 on their independent label Whiskey Lad Recordings, to great acclaim from the Winnipeg Sun and the Winnipeg Free Press who hailed the album as a "mini-masterpiece". It charted extensively on college stations across Canada through the spring and summer of 2006, reaching the No. 1 position at UMFM for a couple weeks. ( Wikipedia )

""

Shopping (the UK trio)

New record released in the US just last week: Smiley Happy

spotify:album:0eVKYwIoCZFlayq63XoomV

Hello !

Brando ( 160 Followers )

Their first release after a move to a larger indie rock label, Brando clears away a little more of the lo-fi fuzz from their criminally obscure earlier releases, but generally keeps with their previous indie rock aesthetic. Still forced to work with bandmates who are spread over a large geographic area, from his home state of Indiana to Brazil, primary songwriter Derek Richey seems to be entirely comfortable with coordinating both his and his collaborators' muses in less-than-ideal conditions ( Allmusic )

""

Loving Regal Degal, indie psych-pop trio from Brooklyn. For fans of Grizzly Bear, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti:

spotify:track:1pt4aw2DnebKNOUadXfT7H

Just got a tip from a co-worker about these guys. Just 70 followers but they sound promising. Playing at Rough Trade in Brooklyn soon I believe. @Adam you should definitely go if you're in NYC on the 8th. 

spotify:track:7kK76itpUk7tcWLq7rdt5I

Hello !

Minus Story ( 117 Followers )

Minus Story is an indie rock based in Lawrence, Kansas. The core members of the band met growing up in Boonville, Missouri and are known for their off-kilter, sunny melodies and quirky instrumentation that forms the "wall of crap" sound. They are signed to the Jagjaguwar/Secretly Canadian label.

My Selection:

""

3D Friends (447 followers). Related artists include Tanlines and Gemini Club

spotify:track:7wHasiFqMlaFiCACxkgo9X

Hello !

Mountaineer - 1974 ( 145 Followers )

4 Albums between 2003 and 2011
The last, the New "1974" in 2015

Mountaineer is Marcel Hulst, a songwriter based in Amsterdam, Holland. 1974 is an album full of hushed vocals and warm layers of acoustic guitars. Analog synths, subtle percussion, upright bass and even tribal drums emerge throughout the album, but just as easily evaporate. With a quiet, almost silvery voice, Mountaineer tries to walk the line between indie, folk and Americana.

""

Suggested posts