Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Let's Have A Genre Listening Party

Let's Have A Genre Listening Party

PLEASE READ THE FULL POST, BEFORE REPLYING, AND DO NOT POST PLAYLISTS OR SONGS, HERE.

I just found out the group session feature, and thought it would be cool to do that with people in the community. I have an idea for a similar party, as well, but I'll mention that, later.

What night is good for those that want to join?

Let's start off with one genre, right now, then go to another. Keep in mind that I only want to have genres that I like, but if anyone likes genres outside of what I like, I encourage you to take my idea and start parties for those genres as well. This might be good for artists, if they start their own, like mini concerts. They could join with other artists, inviting people to their concert parties. I don't want this to be an artist promotion party. Maybe, we will invite some artists, to play their songs, occasionally, at some point, but I just want to figure this out, first. Also, try to keep it as clean as possible (definitely no sexual language).

Here's what I like.

Rock (Today's, classic, and earlier)

Metal (Today's and classic)

Country (Any years, No Hip Hop or alternative style)

Some that I'm not as familiar with, like

Celtic and "New Age" (Ex., Enya, Kitaro, Yanni)

and

Electronic (Techno (Ex.,Robert Miles), Trance...)

I think it would be cool to play it on your TV., if you have one. This will be a chance for us to listen to music that we like, while discovering songs that we don't know that are of the same genres.

I understand that there are also people that are trying to get introduced to new genres.

While I don't want music played from outside genres, maybe people could be invited to for just the listening aspect. We don't want people taking advantage of invitations and putting in random genres, though. I put all these instructions, because sometimes people have misused my posts, and I want people to hear what they expect to.

Follow me

98 Replies

Hi @MadmanOnWheels,

This sounds like a great idea!

I haven’t used Group Session before (probably because my friends that I typically hang out with generally don’t prefer to listen to the same genres as I do); however, I would be interested in trying Group Session for this event if you don’t mind me joining.

I will probably be free in the evening on Friday and this weekend, as well as later dates if next week or later works better for everyone; and I might also be able to attend this Thursday evening. I don’t have a TV, so I would just be using my laptop or mobile device.  

From the genres that you like, I also enjoy listening to rock (usually stoner-, psychedelic-, and space-, but also some progressive- and classic rock), as well as metal (mostly modern stoner/doom, but also some classic metal bands); so I think we have some overlap.

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey,

I was wondering if you would invite some people, based on the times that you mentioned that you're available. I've invited some, but only one got back to me, so far. The ones that I invited this evening haven't got back to me, but even though they haven't, and there is a limit of 6 people per group session, it would be good to have a few more that are interested. I guess I would need to pick a specific gene and era, now. I guess that the easiest to start with would be 80s Rock (Regular and Hard). We can have a listening party just for 80s Metal, down the line, just like for any other specific genres.

Also, I was thinking, if you have time, that you and I could test the group session, tonight, or tomorrow night, depending on if we need to push the listening party to Saturday night. I haven't used this feature, either. We could pick some random tracks of a different genre that aren't ones that we'd play during the party.

Whatever you can use is cool, I just thought it would be cool, for whoever can. I wish there were things to incorporate into this listening party, to make it more fun. Maybe your computer can do some visual art (or whatever you call it), to the music, while you control it from a mobile device. The only other thing that I can think of is to cast it to an assistant, if you have one.

Yeah, we definitely have some overlap.

I think it would be a good idea for everyone that ends up joining to get on this post, before start, so we can figure out how to work it. Some might come just to listen, but for the rest, we should figure out an order for everyone to go in, how many songs per person, and how long we want it to last.

Follow me

Hi @MadmanOnWheels,

Sure, I can invite some people to see if they would be free to join this event; would you prefer if I mention them in a reply here, or send them a PM?

80s Rock sounds great for the first group session, and I could also probably join a test group session either later this evening or tomorrow evening. What time would work best for you to start the test group session?

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star

Hey,
I don't mind, either way. What do you think would work best? I know that I don't see notifications for private messages, on the site, but I do get e-mail about them. Maybe other people do, though. I'm good for a test session, now, but let me know if you need to wait. Either way, I'm good. If you can do one, in a bit, that'd be cool, though.
Follow me

Oh, I just remembered that I want to try something, for the invitation. I don't know if you're aware that you can take pictures of Spotify codes for playlists and albums, then upload them into the search bar, after hitting the camera in it, but I'm wondering if the same can be done, to lead to a group session, by uploading that group session code into the search bar.
I know that you can just use a link, to invite people, but I was curious, for situations where you don't have someone's phone number or social media information, so you could just send it, by bluetooth, or maybe that. other person could just hit the camera in the search bar, to scan it.
Whenever we start the test group session, I'll send a picture of the code and the link, too, just in case the code won't upload in the search bar.

Follow me

Hi @MadmanOnWheels,

Thanks for your reply!

I think I’ll invite some Spotify users within this thread, as well as mentioning it to the other Stars to see if they would like to join. You should be able to receive notifications for private messages within the Spotify Community, so I’ll ask about this and get back to you soon about how to enable these notifications.

I’m free for a test Group Session now as well. That’s a great idea about uploading the Group Session Spotify Code into the search bar; the support article about Group Sessions mentions that this is a way to invite friends to Group Sessions as well, so I think it should work. If you send me a PM with the Spotify Code from a Group Session that you start, I’ll scan it and join.

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star

Cool
Follow me

Hi @BenitoKCM, @driveflanger, @gcalcaterra, @Jpgchief, @Miselio, @musicorumgenius, @0rangeJuice, @rossi1911, @Spotywakeup, @StompingLlama,

I hope you’re having a nice weekend! I thought I’d invite you to this Group Session event (hosted by MadmanOnWheels). It will likely occur later today or tomorrow, depending on what time works best for everyone. Feel free to join, though of course no worries if not.

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star

Thanks for the invite, but unfortunately I can't commit to anything at the moment. I'll definitely eave-drop on the thread to see how things went, though!

What a great idea! I'm totally down to participate but I'm on vacation starting next  week. Gone camping no service :/But King Buffalo will be cranking. Please keep me posted for future session. Rock on Trey!

Hi, Stompingllama

You haven't missed it. It's actually this weekend, either tonight or tomorrow, that we have the first one planned for.
Follow me

I will try to join tonight. No promises though. Thanks Madman

I think 8:00 or 8:30 might be a good time to start. We could go for a couple hours or a few. It just depends on each person. People can head out as they need to. Also, we have a Google Hangouts chat room for anyone, joining.

Follow me

Cool. It's no problem, either way.
Follow me

Hi @MadmanOnWheels,

The test Group Session yesterday evening was fun, and I look forward to the one this evening as well; thanks for letting me join.

Unfortunately, there isn't an option to enable Private Message notifications in the Settings on the Spotify Community. However, I’ll pass your feedback on to the right folks, as Spotify always tries to improve.

I hope you’re having a good weekend!

AdamDamSpotify Star

So, how was it? I've never used the Group Session feature before.

osorniosSpotify Star

Hi @osornios,

I thought the Group Session on Friday evening was a lot of fun!

It was just @MadmanOnWheels and I listening, so we decided for it to be a “free,” un-themed session and to save the themes for when others can join. We communicated via a Google Hangouts chat, and took turns adding tracks to the queue based on our conversation.

If more people can attend in the future (perhaps next weekend or some other time), I think the plan would be to have a themed Group Session then; would you be interested or free to join in the future?

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star

Hey, this sounds cool. Definitely up for a group listening session in future. Rock/Metal isn't really my thing but if you down the country or electronic route I'm in!

I'm not familiar with this group session feature. Can anyone explain it, please?

Suggested posts