Release: Rock In Rio

232 Replies

Artist: Dope
Release: Blood Money
Year: October 28, 2016
Labels: Entertainment One
Style of Music: Nu Metal / Alternative Metal / Industrial Metal
Origins: Villa Park, Illinois, U.S.

1st part of a two part album release dropped this Friday the 28th of October. The 6th album release of the Industrial Alternative Metal band. The band pushes with a few tracks on this release farther into the Industrial music direction, but the band stays true to it's Metal / Hard Rock roots very well. Well worth a few listens, looking to be a great fall with some great Alternative Metal bands out on the road this year. Take her for a couple of spins, the new release grows on you. 🙂

I'm listening my playlist:

https://play.spotify.com/user/joacmanoel/playlist/3K0919GVPyzJw4puQcKKI5

Follow me and i'll follow you

Artist: Helmet
Release: Dead To The World
Year: October 28th, 2016
Labels: earMUSIC Edel Germany GmbH
Style of Music: Alternative Metal / Alternative Rock
Origins: New York City, New York (early); Los Angeles, California (later), U.S.

Well the 8th full length release is here, led by vocal / guitar player Page Hamilton. This release swings a bit more into the Alternative Metal / Rock direction. Fans of the Foo Fighters and Smashing Pumpkins will be able to easily get into this one, music and song direction is a bit more on the moody side of things. So do not hold onto preconceptions based on the bands past output, this release is a tab bit different from what the band has done before. But I like what has been done here, after several listens to this release the music has a nice feel, and I can still hear the subtle hints of the bands past music direction, but I am also able to notice the band is heading into a new direction musically as this release is that obvious. Take this one for a few spins.

Artist: My Dying Bride
Release: Meisterwerk III
Labels: Peaceville Records
Style of Music: Death / Doom / Gothic Metal
Origins: Halifax, England, U.K.

A compilation release containing demos, remixes, and studio tracks. Very good introduction for fans into the work of the band which highlights the varying changes in the bands music direction over the years. Very well worth some listening time of the release.

Artist: Testament
Release: Brotherhood of the Snake
Labels: Nuclear Blase
Style of Music: Thrash Metal
Origins: Oakland, California, U.S.

Testament's new release has arrived, and boy-o is it a scorcher, blistering Thrash Metal from start to finish. The release has a nice classic throw back feel to the early glory days of Testament's sound of The New Order, Practice What You Preach, Souls of Black, and The Ritual. Well worth many repeat listens, going to be one of my top ten Thrash Metal releases this year for sure.

Just some new releases this week from New Music Friday November 4th, 2016 to highlight, music releases that I have been listening to over the last few days.

First up

Artist: HammerFall
Release: Built To Last
Year: November 4th, 2016
Labels: Napalm Records Handels GmbH
Style of Music: Melodic Metal / Power Metal
Origins: Gothenburg, Sweden

Tenth album release by the Swedish based Power Metal outfit HammerFall. With a somewhat set recipe of what the band does best with music developing, the band never disappoints in this direction of Metal music. All the right elements are there on this release and there is no weak or dull song here, as this band has a precise way for their musical output. The new release is for fans of Melodic / Power Metal. Worth a few spins.

Artist: Sick Of It All
Release: When The Smoke Clears E.P.
Labels: Century Media Records
Style of Music: Hardcore / Crossover Metal
Origins: Queens, New York, U.S.

30th Anniversary for the band with this E.P. release of new content, some very well developed Hardcore music here on this five track release. For fans of Hardcore, Crossover, Metalcore, and similar types of music directions.

Artist: Vader
Release: The Empire
Labels: Nuclear Blast
Style of Music: Death / Thrash Metal
Origins: Olsztyn, Poland

13th full album release by the Polish based band, one does have to wonder after 20 years at this thing if they will ever release a dull album release? That was of course poking a bit of fun at the band. The Death Metal music here on this release is as strong as it was for when the band came out with their debut release The Ultimate Incantation in 92'. Well this release also goes along with the Iron Times E.P. that was released back in August 12th of 2016. That E.P. highlighted two singles off this full length release here, along with two b-side cover tracks, a version of Motörhead's Overkill and a Panzer X cover of Pięść I Stal done Vader style. Check it out the new release is worth many spins, the great Vader.

jay, do you know some brazilian metal bands?

can i share it? https://open.spotify.com/artist/2gJg5hd7klzdDT4YboVft9

@abissall

Currently the Progressive / Folk Metal band Angra I like allot, which is from Brazil. I still like Sepultura and am awaiting the band's new release set for an early 2017 January date. I still follow and listen to the various music projects that Max Cavalera - original lead singer of Sepultura is involved with mainly the Soulfly output, both Brazilian based bands / artist's.

Yep you can post and share here any style of Metal music you have been listening to lately in this thread. I just started the thread, I do not own it personally. 🙂 Anyone is free to post to it.

This is the top bands from here! Krisiun too, others bands like
claustrofobia, nervosa, are great. My band Thrashall is like little yet...
Listen, and if you like tell me about

Tks

Just some new Metal releases to highlight, music that I have been listening to from New Music Friday November 11th, 2016 over this past weekend.

Artist: Аркона or Arkona

Release: Возрождение or Vozrozhdenie
Year: November 11th, 2016
Labels: Napalm Records Handels GmbH
Style of Music: Pagan / Folk Metal 
Origins: Moscow, Russia

Eight studio release by the Russian Pagan Folk Metal band, very well developed Folk Metal this time around, everything is in it's proper place on this release, well worth a few spins.

Artist: Enslaved
Release: The Sleeping Gods - Thorn
Labels: Enslavedunion DA
Style of Music: Extreme / Blackened Progressive Metal
Origins: Haugesund (early), Bergen (later), Norway

Compilation release that brings content from the 2011 E.P. releases titled as such. Some very intense Extreme / Blackened Progressive Metal, also highlights more of the bands experimentation here from these two E.P.'s. Well worth many listens.

Artist: In Flames
Release: Battles
Labels: Eleven Seven Music

Style of Music: Melodic Metal / Alternative Metal 
Origins: Gothenburg, Sweden

Twelfth studio of the release of the band, and like allot of the bands work they move forward into the direction they have been heading into musically for a very long time, when the band left the Melodic Death Metal scene behind years ago. The music on this release sadly can not be compared with the bands earlier work, and it would be a mistake to do so. No band who has been around this long, and also developing in a progressive fashion musical is going to sound or be the same as when starting out. But all that aside this is a very good, decent, and well developed Metal album that blends Melodic and Alternative Metal influences, and a slight touch of their old school beginnings on a few songs here and there. This release is well worth a few listens as long as fans of the band drop all preconceived ideas of the new release first. With that aside here it is:

Artist: Sepultura
Release: I Am The Enemy - Single
Year: November 10th, 2016
Style of Music: Trash Metal / with touches of Deathcore
Origins: Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais (early) / São Paulo, São Paulo (later), Brazil

Woah, this new single caught me by surprise, I was really not expecting the band to go this direction and this hard of Metal music styles, but this new single blazes, and makes me itchy for the rest of the new release, which sadly won't be available until early January next year. Check it out, the new single release below, but it does seem to be a return to form for the band maybe?

Just a post to highlight some new releases and also added re-releases from this past New Music Fridays, November 18th, 2016.

Artist: Lamb Of God
Release: The Duke E.P.
Year: November 18th, 2016
Style of Music: Metalcore
Origins: Richmond, Virginia, U.S.

E.P. with two new studio tracks, and three live tracks, one live track recorded in 2015 from the Rock am Ring festival in Mendig, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, and two live tracks recorded in 2016 at the Bonnaroo music festival in Manchester, Tennessee, United States.

I like the two new studio tracks even if the lead vocals has toned down some of it's Metalcore growl, but the vocal style in still there just tone down a tab bit which fits the music direction. Worth checking it a few times.

Artist: Metallica
Release: Hardwired...To Self-Destruct (Deluxe)
Labels: Self Released through Metallica's indie label - Blackened Recordings
Style of Music: Metal / Hard Rock / Thrash Metal
Origins: Los Angeles/San Francisco, California, U.S.

And it is here, the completion of the big four Thrash Metal releases, which fans should probable look forward to a Summer Big 4 music tour next Spring eh? Anyway this is a fantastic release. As any Metallica fan knows since the tours that supported Master of Puppets /...And Justice For All, Metallica has been in the stadium Hard Rock / Thrash Metal direction for a long long while now. This is the release Metallica should have released during the Grunge / Alternative Hard Rock - Metal hey day explosion back during the 90's, and Load - Reload should have been secondary offshoot music projects to bring music fans into the commercial Hard Rock / Metal music styles of music fans hanging around the fringes of Grunge / Alternative Rock - Metal music scenes. 

This is the three disc version being highlighted here, first two discs is the standard 12 track release. The third disc contains an official rerecorded release version of Lords of Summer, plus cover tracks of classic Rainbow as a medley of famous songs as Ronnie Rising Medley, a Deep Purple cover of When A Blind Man Cries, and Iron Maiden's classic Remember Tomorrow. Third disc also contains 10 live recorded tracks, nine of the tracks are Metallica classics recorded in April 2016, as well as a live version of Hardwired recorded in August 2016. This release is worth many spins, allot of things going on here with this release. A nice return to form for the band for long timed song development going back to Master Of Puppets or ...And Justice For All days.

Artist: Sixx: A.M.
Release: Prayers for the Blessed, Vol 2
Year: November 18, 2016

Labels: Eleven Seven Music
Style of Music: Hard Rock / Alternative Metal
Origins: Los Angeles, California, U.S.

Second volume in a two disc set released separately in 2016, this release is just as strong musically as the first volume that was released early in 2016. Kind of nice seeing this kind of release structure again, old classic Rock bands would do this, several big names like Sabbath, Purple, and Kiss have done this and a few other classic hard rock bands releasing two full releases in the same year, usually one release early in the year and another release late in the same year. Anyway this release is worth checking out.

Artist: Soulburn
Release: Earthless Pagan Spirit
Labels: Century Media Recording
Style of Music: Death/Black/Doom Metal
Origins: Oldenzaal, Twente, Overijssel, Netherlands

Very solid strong release here, seems to be the same lineup here that was around for the 2014 release of The Suffocating Darkness. This release is well worth many listens for fans of Death/Black/Doom Metal.

Artist: Soundgarden
Release: Badmotorfinger (Super Deluxe Edition)
Labels: A&M Records
Style of Music: Hard Rock / Grunge Rock
Origins: Seattle, Washington, U.S.

Just a very nice, and well put together four disc Super Deluxe set release of Badmotorfinger. Contains the original 12 tracks, a second disc of studio outtakes from the recording session, and two discs containing live tracks from a 1992 concert at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle, this re-release is well worth some listening time.

Artist: Excel
Release: The Jokes On You
Year: Original release date 1989
Labels: Southern Lord Recordings
Style of Music: Skate Punk / Crossover Thrash
Origins: Venice, California, U.S.

This is just a re-added release to the Spotify service, seems to be just the CD version of the release that came out somewhere in the 90's? This release here does not contain any of the demo tracks from the 2001 CD re-released version. Anyway for those of you old enough to have been around during the Skate Punk / Crossover Thrash music scene here it is.

Artist: My Enemies & I

Album: Sick World

U.FO. Strangers In The Night.
DB4L!!!!

Mercyful Fate, Don't Break The Oath (1984)

spotify:album:76qLOTDutH2qCoP0imlhXw

I See Stars and The Wise Man's Fear are my top two right now!  Check them if you haven't already.

I See Stars - Calm Snow

The Wise Man's Fear - The Sea at Storm

Hey all! 

I've been a long time reader of this thread for ages - surprised? Don't be. I'm a big metal-head just like you all.

Recently, I've been diving deep into female-fronted bands and have rediscovered my love for Delain, In This Moment and Arch Enemy.

All 3 of them are pretty spot on in describing my taste. However, I love discovering new music.

Based on these 3 bands, can you make me a playlist of at least 10 tracks of some awesomely melodic female-fronted metal?

I can't wait to see what you come up with 😉

@Jim great bands WOW! 

I`m not a big listener to rock bands with female singers, but I think I`ll become a fan 🙂 

The first dutch fellas, pretty much reminds me of Rammstein, it`s like Rammstein with a female vocals haha!  

spotify:track:4p3fcPG5W9I8wAEelIB3k2:small

But the second band, grab my attention, the song is awesome, this girl just blow me! 

spotify:track:0QB98b4YFxtW4NQ9narHQM:small

MartinStoichkovSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@MartinStoichkov That's awesome. I'm glad I've introduced you to the heavier side of a powerful female voice. 

Seriously, one of my favourite genres 😄 

Totally agree with you with Delain sounding like Rammstein though, I'd never thought of them like that before! 

Check out;

spotify:user:spotify:playlist:73bxqxq6HMkNAUFLCMEEHc

What are you listening to at the moment?

@Jim I`m jumping into many different styles and genres in general, but I have momments when I`m listening only to Rock/Metal for days, especially when I`m at home with a few beers for company xD

Well these are few of my favorite bands outhere, that I like playing:

All Them Withces, Mashine Head, Puddle of Mud, Stone Sour and Slipknot  (as I`m big fan of Corey), Black label Society, Paradise Lost, Shinedown, Kreator and etc.. 

And some of the old giants like: Megadeth, Judas Priest, Alice in Chains, Alice Cooper, Rammstein, Pearl Jam and etc.. 

Awesome playlist, didn`t know of it! 

Here is my personal playlist, if you have one, you can share it as well! 

spotify:user:11135969204:playlist:6LTmbMj3svbLBBTBUuT0i5

MartinStoichkovSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@MartinStoichkov Dude! That's a killer playlist. You sir, have just gained yourself a follower 😉

I was just listening to Machine Head not too long ago and Halo is one of my fave tracks to just block out everything around me.

I - like you - treat music very much as a mood thing and switch from different genre to genre every day. It keeps my mind active. I always find myself coming back to Rock/Metal though especially the giants like Rammstein. There's no feeling like the massive punch they give you when turned up to the full!

Suggested posts