Offline music while online. Does it switch automatically?

Solved!

Offline music while online. Does it switch automatically?

InstaCool
Casual Listener

Do I need to go offline to play my offline music or will it automatically switch streaming to downloaded songs? I have been switching offline to play my downloaded music but would like to go from a song that's not dowloaded to a a downloaded song. 

I'm wondering will it stream a downloaded song.

Anyone else curious or know the answer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Carina
Community Legend

Hey @InstaCool and welcome to the community!

Once you synced a track in an offline playlist, it stays downloaded in all of your playlists. So it won't be streamed. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Solution!

Carina
Community Legend

Hey @InstaCool and welcome to the community!

Once you synced a track in an offline playlist, it stays downloaded in all of your playlists. So it won't be streamed. 

View solution in original post

InstaCool
Casual Listener

Thanks! Glad I don't have to switch to offline mode anymore! That was a pain. 

MichaelW
Community Legend

Hi there,
Welcome at the Spotify Community!

I've just checked it out. When I enable my mobile data connection and start a downloaded track, I don't see the arrows blinking (which means it doesn't download anything). Of course you can always enable offline mode if you'd like to be sure. 

InstaCool
Casual Listener

Thanks! I believe when you're online though there are no arrows. That's why it's hard to tell. I don' think there's actually an idicator for that? /it would make sense to hop over to non streaming automatically....

So far I've been switch to offline mode an listening to my offline playlist but I have a few play list that are a mixture of off and online. I'd like to think it knows better....Wish i had unlimited data.

Does Spotify actually review these boards? Would be nice to have a customer service rep confirn.

Carina
Community Legend

There are plenty of Spotify staff members active in the community, but unfortunately it's weekend and they just work monday to friday.

But I can tell you FOR SURE that it doesn't stream anything. Because once I accidentally removed the offline setting for a playlist and was listening on the road to my music.. After an hour or something my traffic was fully exhausted. Usually I listen couple of hours outdoors every day and if the songs are downloaded it isn't streaming anything. Plus, I've never used offline mode (only on plane with in-phone-settings and not in-app).

thiagooliv
Regular
I know this is an old topic. But I'm having trouble related to this. When I play my donwloaded songs, the app will still stream them from the server, and this is getting me crazy because I suffer from pauses and my data pack ends in the middle of the month. This behabior began a month ago, I'm using latest Spotify app on Android 4.4 (LG G3).

toddallen50
Casual Listener
So this is good so you don't have to use your data plan while in the car etc since it's downloaded and doesn't stream right?

Switchbl4d3

Same problem here. Everytime i drive through a tunnel and im listening to downloaded songs they just stop and/or lag as the connection fades. But when my internet connection is completely gone they seem to switch to offline mode and start playing normally.

SUGGESTED POSTS