Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Poll: I wonder how many users have cancelled their Spotify Premium subscription

Poll: I wonder how many users have cancelled their Spotify Premium subscription

Sure, chances may be low that people who moved away from Spotify are still monitoring this forum, willing to share their experience and opinion.

I myself quit when the search functionality in our own library got clipped away,  imho for no good reason, and especially w/o reasonable explanation.

So I voted with my wallet.

I had been more or less happy with Apple Music, using it in iTunes on a Windows 7 PC, but as Win7 support is running out, and iTunes has become unusable, I have been looking back at Spotify, hoping things might tip the right way again.

However, organisation of the own library seems to have become more and more forced by Spotify trying to push suggestions and following/fan behaviour. If I get the underlying tone right from hundreds of comments I have read through, I am not the only one who wishes for Spotify to give full search and control functionality back to their subscribers.

As far as I can see, many ideas were submitted, with many upvotes, lots of critique was articulated clearly and understandable. But Spotify won't explain, the mods in this forum seem to avoid the question of WHY it should be harder to find out what we saved. Some mods even seem to be unwilling or unable to see the evidence for how having "Universal Search" instead of specific search sabotages finding saved songs in our playlists, how the taking away of the artist tab barred ways of finding content many subscribers had gotten used to.

So I'm doing a little poll-experiment here:

Below I'll add comments, hoping you put a like on the one best describing your premium subscription.

If enough people participate, perhaps Spotify could see whether it's worth minding their customers input and wishes?

13 Replies

Please like this comment if you have
CANCELLED or consider cancelling your premium subscription because you don't like how Spotify changed the UI

Please like this comment if you
Did NOT CANCEL your subscription
or do not consider to

Please like this comment if you think if
OTHER ANSWER applies
(please specify in a comment)

Hey @öäüß,

I really like the idea of making a poll to get an idea of where (current/former) users in the Community stand on this 🙂

Taking my former-Community Moderator hat off for a second here to share my two cents:

Your Library and how it's changed/evolved over the years hasn't been a deal-breaker for me as a user personally. Anecdotally (mostly from reading comments in the Community) I know that there are people who are passionate about building their music collection but who really aren't big fans of YL, and I can generally understand where they're coming from in terms of their individual preferences.

Now, this is just a feeling, not an informed opinion, but I have a feeling that it's quite hard to get it right with YL as a designer/engineer, since people (in Spotify's case, upwards of 350 million MAU) have many different ideas of what a virtual collection should be/look like based on their personal preferences.

With a stack of physical CDs/vinyl, you have total control over how you order them, where/how you store and display them, etc. In theory, you could give users the same free reign in the app, but in practice, that's not very... practical, or at least in terms of what an app can and is expected to do, it wouldn't make a lot of sense (e.g. to be able to drag and drop albums onto a virtual shelf, much like in real life).

I feel I've already ventured into unfamiliar territory and risk talking about things I don't understand, but I think my point is that it's generally hard to find a consensus among users about what Your Library should do/look like once you accept that there are intrinsic limitations to a virtual collection vis-à-vis a physical one.

Since you're more familiar with the use case and the context behind it, perhaps you could share links to previous discussions, e.g. in some of the closed ideas you mentioned. That way I could educate myself and learn more about the history of the debate, since I'm curious to know.

Thanks for posting!

Hi @Peter

Thank you for asking!

I wouldn't want to impose my ideas of how to organise my library on anyone else. But there is just no excuse of taking features away, which in no way affect implementation of a new feature. The most terrible decisions of Spotify imho were taking away the list/tab of artists, where you could see all artists you had a saved song from, and the taking away of the "Songs" list, where you had ALL saved songs, liked or not.

There is really no way that just keeping those two views would have taken anything away from any of the new features that were introduced . 

The thing which really, really, really hurts me (and obviously countless other users) , is that Spotify seems to deliberately ignore basic common sense and logic, that you have to be able to find saved songs and artists in your library, without having to search all of Spotify's 50 million odd songs, and that it's super frustrating having to explain this.

This forum would have been a good place for Spotify to communicate WHY we now first have to like each and every song, and have to follow each and every artists in order to making them visible in our library (not in particular lists, where it works ok).

There is quite a lot to say about the frustration, about how issues seem to be ignored, avoided - perhaps misunderstood, though it's hard to believe? - but rading through previous posts and comments I got the feeling more than enough has been said, enough screenshots presented, that the underlying problem should be crystal clear: Organising your library, finding tracks, artists, duplicates and different versions has been complicated by Spotify, in a way that implies there's purpose behind it.

As I am sick of repeating my explanations, I'll paste my email to the Spotify support in my next comment. It's super lengthy, and might not reflect the current UI's, but some of the links to angry threads are in there.

I havent received an answer to any of the questions yet. 

Here's my lengthy email rant to Spotify support sent 04/11/2021:

"Hi Raphael,

Thanks for getting back to me.
Let's try to get ahead with things:

"I'll tackle your concerns based on how they were listed on your last chat interaction. First, just to make sure that we're on the same page, kindly clarify what specific Library function you're not seeing. That way, I can check if it disappearing is part of a Spotify update or if we need to do some further troubleshooting."

First off, if you'd kindly have a glance at these threads, so you can see that there's an ongoing issue infuriating a LOT of Spotify users:
(7 pages)

Here Mihail (Moderator) suggests a clean reinstall, a waste of time which doesn't solve the problem that there just is no library search function across saved songs.
Screenshots by Pwg56 clearly illustrate the issue.
At least moderator Novy has the decency to admit: "Currently, this search will only show playlists, artists, albums and podcasts, not songs. "

Here's a very elaborate post on the issue:

Here an idea submission with 5,323 votes.
If it was still up for voting, guess how many more it would get?
Please note, there are 71 pages of comments. I've read through a lot of them, and would yet have to find a single positive comment about the destruction of the search.

I asked myself the same question as amlaluddite:
Following the link provided by friendly Roadie SergioDavid, there's this pretty useless guide: https://support.spotify.com/au/article/sort-and-filter/
The information provided does NOT resemble the current mobile UI, and regarding the desktop guide, think about the wording of this 'helpful' suggestion: To filter your collection, click  [Magnifying Glass] at the top of THE LIST and enter a search term.
And this is exactly the point: You have to find THE LIST first to be able to SEARCH what you're looking for. SERIOUSLY???

Here's another one, status set to 'Implemented', though 'Ignored' would be the better word:
2,336 votes. Thread spanning over two years, 45 pages of comments, at least 99% between very and extremely angry.

Here's something I just found, with some of the first comments describing my feelings pretty accurately:
Quote: "The new universal search can be accessed by tapping the search icon at the top right corner. The new search allows you to quickly search through your entire library for playlists, playlist folders, artists, albums, and podcasts without having to go to a specific content section."
It allows to search for a lot, while making it IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND A SONG in your library! Great!! The specific search is dead, long live the universal search! Hooray!!!
Who want's search results, when you can get suggestions instead?

My most recent two cents, screenshots provided, fresh install, was the latest version yesterday:
Please take note of the venerable link I posted to a suggestion from the year 2012, which, if it had been ever heeded by Spotify, would solve most of the problems and trouble the sabotaged search functionality causes.

If you haven't been able to grasp by now why the taking away of the library search for songs would be troublesome, I'll try to outline again what countless users have tried to make Spotify understand:
1. Having to like a song in order to be able to find it later in the library is an extra step. Spotify can't be serious about implementing extra, totally unnecessary steps for one of the most basic actions.
2. If you haven't liked all of your songs yet, you'll need to go through your whole library, and do that now. Seriously?
3. What if you don't really like some songs, but want to save them to a playlist for other family members, for guests, etc.?
Sure, there's workarounds like adding each and every song to an 'all saved songs' playlist. But this is another extra step. And that had been an automatic feature of Spotify before they took it away. Why???
4. Even if liked, songs can't be found in playlists on the Android app. You have to click 'edit playlist', and then scroll until you find the song - in a list that is sorted by random criteria. C'mon, is this the stone age again?
5. Trying the workaround to just use the add song feature will lead to duplicates if you don't get exactly the right version. Do you like duplicates?
6. What if you forget to like a song, when you add it to a playlist? With the missing library search function, it becomes kind of invisible. You'd only find it when trying to add it to a playlist for a second time, or when looking in the right playlist. This is extra painful when not exactly remembering the spelling of the title or artist.
7. There is no way to see the total number of how many songs you have saved now, unless you went through each and every playlist and liked each and every song.
8. In the desktop app, where there's at least a search in each playlist provided, the results are pretty random, see the screenshot provided where I looked for "Them". The search returning title results first when the filter is set to artist is a bad joke. So even if you DO bow to Spotify imposing the liking of all songs, the search is lousy.
These are NOT EVEN ALL of the problems arising from the lack of a comprehensive library search function. I've left out the mess with the deliberately broken artist page (following artists, as suggested, helps in no way - rather the opposite), which had been one of my favourite ways of discovering music and avoiding fragmentation of playlists over different albums.
I am really completely fed up by now with having to explain issues that shouldn't even exist if Spotify (or their support) used a little bit of common sense and universal logic.
All off that mess is based on exactly the same issue: Spotify's removal of the most basic search functionality.

"I'll also would like a link to the Community page that you mentioned so I can see which page is denying you any further access. That way, I can make sure that it's forwarded to the right team managing the said page."

Here's an example: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Archived-Ongoing-Issues/Songs-saved-under-Artists-has-disappeared/i...
For me it says Access Denied. I've tried Chrome (+ incognito mode), Opera, Firefox, Edge, Internet Explorer. What else should I try?

"We'll also be reviewing your past chat interactions to see what areas we as Customer Support can improve on. If we or the Quality team sees something, we'll make sure to make some notes and provide some extra training to our advisors. I really do appreciate your patience in dealing with us, though. It truly means a lot."

The last chat was ok (the one before that a nightmare), at least you have been getting back to me, so this is my first positive experience with Spotify's support.
If only it would lead to making Spotify a viable alternative again!
The taking away of standard features has led me to cancel my premium membership and move to Apple Music. Using it with iTunes on my Windows 7 and 10 computers I hadn't been looking back for quite a while. The search, filter and sorting functionality was waaaaaaay better than Spotify's even before Spotify deliberately sabotaged their own product. I wouldn't even put up with Spotify any more, but sadly Apple has stopped supporting iTunes, which is getting buggier and buggier.
But I still have no idea how Spotify could restore my trust enough to make me give it another try. It is not about the money, and anyways, with the free subscription for a month I could test it - but what about the time and love I put into creating my playlists?
You know how painful it is, having to move to another service? How many tracks get lost or replaced by unwanted versions?
When Spotify pulled the cord on letting me and countless other users manage our library in a halfway logical, remotely efficient way (there were always desirable, yet simple features missing), it felt like treason on people who - on top of paying - contributed their own time and effort to the product. Do you understand that Spotify without a manageable, personal library is just a glorified kind of yet another online radio? A pretty costly one if you don't want adds all the time, btw!

"That's all for now. I know that my email only asks for some additional information about all of these but this should help me better pinpoint what's going on so it can lead to a better resolution. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to include them on your reply."

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions .... except - please - the ones which are already answered in length, width, depth and screenshot by your communities' members, and about the issues which are easily replicable if you just open the app and try to find something in your library yourself.

Thanks, and kind regards,
Peter Falkenberg

(Some random screenshots attached)"

Here's examples I had sent with that email, me searching for the band "Them" or the track "the dream" in my manually consolidated playlist of all the songs I have in Spotify. If I don't know in which playlist I saved a song, how much more would this be a pita. Not only is it necessary to pile up everything into one playlist by yourself over and over again, if you want to be able to find things again later - to make things worse the search seems to go across the criteria randomly, the results not bringing the simple search phrase up on top.

filter artist.JPG
thumbnail_filter title.jpg
thumbnail_search results not sorted and find only if playlist known.jpg

I picked this "OTHER ANSWER"-option, as I am thinking of cancelling my subscription, but not because of UI issues. My reason is Spotify's lack of commitment to broaden family experience.

I am currently trying out Deezer and Tidal. Both Deezer and Tidal have the possibility to add accounts/profiles for children. My kids are still too young to have a legit Spotify account and it seems that Spotify for Kids is a dead project now: I haven't seen any news regarding new markets opened and Finland is one of those who - apparently - are not going to get Spotify for Kids.

I was stupid enough to subscribe to Spotify Family right after I saw the news and press back in 2019. Shame on me.

I've submitted an Idea to these forums where I have described this need. And as usual, idea was closed immediately by moderator, as "it would require changing a subscription tier". End of discussion there. While I understand that not everyone's wishes can be granted, it's still quite blunt user experience. to be honest.

I'm personally on the verge of cancelling. I just need to figure out what I want to move to. Spotify cares about one thing -- profit. That has become crystal clear over the past couple of years. Now, there's nothing wrong with a business making profit, that's the point of running a business, but they obviously don't care about their customers. Removal of features with no explanation, forcing features without the ability to opt out, ignoring complaints, ignoring highly upvoted community ideas, etc. What's the point of letting people upvote ideas or accepting feedback if Spotify is going to do whatever they want anyway? It's all a facade. It's to show a portrayal that they care about what their customers want, but in reality they really don't. They've proven this time and time again. 

I have no plans to cancel. The few artists who left and 80% of the top artists, I'd not miss a second.

I listen only underground music. The Joe Rogan shows does not affect me in any way. You don't like a show? Don't listen.

I'd like to take a moment and talk about item #5 on that list - "5. Trying the workaround to just use the add song feature will lead to duplicates if you don't get exactly the right version." I've been reading this and other posts and nodding to myself the whole time because everyone is right - Spotify's search "functionality" is complete **bleep** and barely deserving of the word. I think I'm going to spend more time reading those sort of posts, because it's extremely satisfying to know that there are people out there who share my frustration! But you know what would be even more satisfying? If I didn't have to deal with duplicates in my playlists and Liked Songs!

Spotify's little "Already added" pop-up is a BS excuse for a deduplicating feature. I have playlists containing hundreds of songs that I've been using for a year or longer - I'm not going to magically remember what's in them! I would leave it at that if the "Already added" pop-up actually prevented duplicates from popping up in my playlists, but if it's been a long enough interval of time, Spotify does not recognize that the song is in the playlist already and lets me add it. One of the most frustrating instances of this issue for me was when I was on holiday with my family last fall. I made a playlist of songs everyone had recommended we listen to on our 10-hour drive, and I must have accidentally added the same song multiple times, because I had to hear Changing Tides by The Fray twice within fifteen minutes. My family members recommended over 200 songs for the playlist, and I can't be expected to remember every song that's already in the playlist; however, I don't think it's a ridiculous request to make of an app that can perform vastly more complicated tasks.

( - A side note on the above is that I made the playlist over the course of five or six days, and apparently this was long enough for Spotify to forget that I'd already added the song. I've looked it over now and it was the exact same version of the song to boot - not a rerelease or a remix or what have you. It's frankly obnoxious that Spotify can't even handle that.)

And what about duplicates within my Liked Songs? Spotify also seems to forget that I've already liked tracks. As you might understand, the number of duplicates makes it hard to guess, but I would say I have probably 4,000 unique tracks in my Liked Songs, and I don't think I should be expected to remember every track I've liked, either. Sometimes I'll look at an album and notice that I apparently haven't liked all the tracks that I wish to have saved in my Liked Songs, so I hit Like again. Reading these posts prompted me to check for duplicates in my Liked Songs, and there are easily hundreds, with no good way to remove them! 

Wanting to remove the duplicate tracks from my Liked Songs caused me first to try third-party apps, none of which appeared to make any change at all, and then to sort ALL of my Liked Songs by title and attempt to remove the duplicates that way! Oh, joy! And if that wasn't fun enough, when I click on a track to "Remove from your Liked Songs," it not only deletes the duplicate, but every instance of the song from my Library! Thanks, Spotify! That's exactly what I wanted!

I voted that I did not cancel my subscription because I decided against doing so in the end, but reading all these posts made me consider it. Currently, I don't have a better alternative, but were the circumstances different, I would most likely cancel my subscription.

I haven't cancelled my premium, but only because it's paid up for the rest of the year with a gift card. I'm horrified to learn that Spotify would pay any podcaster so much more than the musicians. And Rogan's podcast is offensive. 

Lately, I'm not using my account...it no longer brings joy.

The latest thing the app did was do away with the Song detail page, so there is now way to toggle shuffle on and off or fast forward or rewind an in session song with the app.  Also, no explanation.   Results in terrible app experience w android.   I am dropping my premium subscription if not fixed soon.

How about MY answer: NEVER considered even GETTING a premium subscription because the company can't even figure out why their app keeps randomly launching for NO REASON in the middle of a meeting, halfway through a conversation, while putting the baby to sleep,......just ANYWHERE, ANY TIME, NO REASON.
The phone can be sitting on my night table.....in my pocket....on the dash......then ALL OF A SUDDEN.......BLASTING!!!
And the recommendation from Spotify is that......
I uninstall every app and evert extension from my phone.....one by one.....until and in case I can find what's causing the problem.
That's a big wth in my book.
Yours?
I'm even considering cancelling my FREE subscription.....that's how bad I think this app is.
Galaxy S10+, Android up to date. No extraordinary extensions or weirdness on or in my phone........except for Spotify.

Suggested posts