Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Post a track sharing a genre with the track above

Post a track sharing a genre with the track above

Here’s how I propose this track-sharing thread will go:

1. Listen to the track posted most recently in the thread

2. Identify another track that represents a same genre of music as the track that you just listened to; the shared genre could be general (as in “rock”) or more specific (as in “psychedelic rock”).

3. Post the track you’ve chosen, along with the genres that you believe it represents

In this way, at the same time that any two adjacent songs in this thread are to be linked by at least one genre, it’s possible that the first song in the thread and the last song posted could end up sounding quite different!

Here’s a track to start:

https://open.spotify.com/track/2ytXq1bTu0ewU7hB7GngpK?si=LRj-cXfzRie0E4-rxxuZbw

Genres of this track: psychedelic rock, space rock, progressive rock

I hope you enjoy this thread; cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
2 Replies

Love the idea! I usually dont even try to figure what genre a song is because there are too many nuances and subgenres for a simpleton like me to reckon with. I take this thread as a challenge and a learning experience - indeed, songs of the same "basic genre" can lead into seemingly unrelated others and that excites me. That said, pardon if my suggestions aren't quite correctly labeled.

That's a great song, new to me. Cool throughout but the conclusion really put me at ease. 

The difference in rock and metal (imo) is the speed of play and pitch of voice. Death Therapy is a self-proclaimed metal band that is "anything but conventional" (therefore is "progressive") but this song sounds more like rock to me, and i get a spacey vibe from it.

https://open.spotify.com/track/1MuqpMwtC2S0mQvjaR6haM?si=EmXSWu7qT7magBCTG7IkRg&utm_source=copy-link

Cheers!

Hi @tynon_1221, I’m glad you like this idea for a thread, and thanks for sharing this track! I appreciate how in addition to the similarities that you’ve mentioned, there is also a noticeable electronic aspect in both of these tracks.

Also, no worries about using a particular resource to identify genres of tracks. I like to use Last.fm for this purpose, which seems to usually be accurate; however, you can also read about the artist on other websites, or even interpret the genres of the track yourself. Also, genre and mood filters for Liked Songs (on the mobile app) are currently rolling out in some countries, which you can read about here.

https://open.spotify.com/track/7tvuLLroI0n6uYBWuFig5d?si=X5rDkWVZRTqmW67hs99d5g

Genres of this track: progressive rock, progressive metal, alternative metal

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts