Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Question] What is music for you?

[Question] What is music for you?

Hey 🙂

Just a simple question - what is music for you?
or even better question: what makes music enjoyable for you?

I know there are universal truths on what defines music, but I think this varies per person too.

Why I ask this question, I often see debates on beatless songs "lacking beats and thus rhythm", and therefore some listeners don't view them as (conventional) songs or music, but some sort of arty sound project.

Similar debates go on metal genres, electronic music (again missing the fact it's not just edm, god!) and weirder subgenres. I've also seen a few people preferring lyrical content over instrumental

Looking forward to your opinions and input 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
7 Replies

Hey @Sebasty,

I always have music playing actually. Hanging with friends, to pass some time, as a coping mechanism, while cleaning and much more... 🙂

What is Music ? That's a very simple question but when you start to think about an answer, you find out how complex it is.

So, for answering this question I have chosen to give multiple examples for trying to define what is music for me.

First of all, I would say : Music is something I can't live without.

Music is feeling, music is emotion, music is a weapon, music is a bridge between generations.

You can feel music through your body, through your mind, through your heart, through your nerves.

As far as I remember, I have always been surrounded by music. I am sure that music was around me as soon as I have been conceived inside my mom, and until now it never left me.

So, for me :

Music is tribal, in the sense of African tribes feel it with all their body, and make me dance.

spotify:track:67ncFJWaIbJdqZl1bpEppz:small

Music is emotional through perfect vocals harmonies :

spotify:track:5t9KYe0Fhd5cW6UYT4qP8f:small

Music is emotional through a perfect melody :

spotify:track:6l8EbYRtQMgKOyc1gcDHF9:small

Music is a weapon through strong lyrics :

spotify:track:1Zi2ezNOqt9y9irC11xYpN:small

Music brings tears through a tone of voice :

spotify:track:5yjWQWPLGUXwmreEPGF5JD:small

Music is a collective orgasm through a live guitar solo :

spotify:track:1ugnhCLRCM9VYfg8A1m9Ok:small

Music is talking to your feelings through the memory of your life :

spotify:track:7tJQ4Ekp2vN3NlI3vJJW3v:small

Music is a bridge between generations through a classical piece :

spotify:track:2nnXe7n3Vivs7OfQKRsfWD:small

Music is a bridge bewteen different cultures :

spotify:track:4yQw7FR9lcvL6RHtegbJBh:small

Music is a bridge between different technologies :

spotify:track:3kwql90R2gmkK12R8uGHCs:small

And finally, music is an obsession :

spotify:track:2nTsKOXIVGDf2iPeVQO2Gm:small

twitter.com/soundofus

www.soundofus.com

SoundofusSpotify Star

I think you might have given an answer for everyone here @Soundofus .... 🙂

I also take tracks without any sort of clear rhythmic features as music, even if it's unconventional. It just seems that without applied beats more attention is given to sounds and how they're working together, and done properly it's a beautiful listen.

Just saying, I've seen people call them soundtracks or worse, not music.

I also like to reply to people with song titles. 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Music (being the representation and personification of the songwriter and singer) is something that understands; it's like a friend that gets it. It's can also a personification and representation of you, the listener. It's my motivator, my stress reliever, my metaphorical middle finger, my way to show love, my way to relate, my way to escape and to quote a book (which I have a playlist for) that I haven't read in a few years (so I had to look up the exact quote),  it could also be a shout into the wind--how we live. How we go. And how we stand before we fall. --Karnus Au Bellona” ― Pierce Brown, Morning Star.

Full quote, here.

“All that we have is that shout into the wind--how we live. How we go. And how we stand before we fall.

--Karnus Au Bellona”

― Pierce Brown, Morning Star.

I like songs that have lyrics (silly ones, but more so deep ones), as well as the ones that let the music (from just the instruments) do the talking.

Oh, yeah. It's also for having a good time; it's for setting the mood.

Follow me

Hey @Sebasy,

thanks for this question. Music is a spiritual experience to me. It connects me to things I only understand intuitively. I think that's the crux of what music means to me. It connects me with the world and allows me to interact with ideas that are impossible to convey through mere language. I don't know. It's wonderful, isn't it?

Oh it is, @user-removed 🙂

I often find it very hard to describe how a song makes me feel. The feelings and thoughts provoked by something within the track, what that layered wavy low-end of some certain tracks do to me, why I absolutely live the symbiosis between a specific synth sound and the atmosphere of a song. The bold sounds the Buchla does

(in that song:)

spotify:track:79zTLYnOgjhEWJETt1Lg5y:small 

that resembles a certain weird smoky brush in my head with its texture. The energy brought in by percussion in some tracks. Some amazing lyrics..

SebastySpotify Star

Suggested posts