Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Question of the Week: What's your favorite movie, and why?

Question of the Week: What's your favorite movie, and why?

Hey Community,

It's time again for the "Question of the Week". 🙂

This week's question:

*** What's your favorite movie, and why? ***

🎥 🎬 📺 🍿 🍬 🛋 🎵

If you are having trouble deciding on just 1 movie, then what are your favorite top 3 movies, and why?

Post your answer below to be part of the conversation.

(Bonus internet points if you post your favorite song from the movie soundtrack or playlist with songs from the movie. You can also post a podcast about the movie.)

You can let us know your "Favorite TV show" by going here

You can view the previous Question of the Week threads by going here

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
12 Replies

Nerve (2016) is my favorite movie 💙

It's got the Spotify app, a great soundtrack, neon colors, thrills, technology, and more.

Always a great rewatch!

Nerve: IMDb Link 

If you're a big movie fan, check out my Letterboxd profile, and my IMDb watched list

Here is a playlist with the music from the movie:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6DnB8lMPp6OPfrwN75dCqD 

MattSudaSpotify Star

*adds film to watch list*

I think that's an excellent Friday question @MattSuda - not only it's social time, but we get recommendations for films to watch in the weekend 😄 Your summary makes me want to watch the movie, I'll have a look at the catalogue of my online services 🤞

Mine, would have to be Stardust. Not only is there magic, beautiful names (I might have named my parrot after a character in this movie🙃) and scenery, but the plot is based on a book by none other than Neil Gaiman. As a book reader, I'll have to say the book was better in terms of the story but the movie won hands down with the visuals.

I have fond memories of it, I remember picking up the DVD as soon as it became available in the local DVD rent shop. 

Here's the soundtrack: spotify:album:0HBJxR0Sm2tUcrL5wGOPof 

KaterinaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Question too hard to be answered with only one movie... 😀

Talking about movies, I would start by naming Directors and I would say  : Everything by Tarantino, Everything by David Lynch, Everything by Sergio Leone and a lot by many others 😁

For limiting myself I am going to start by a 1979 movie, surely my all time favourite movie as well for the story as for the music : Apocalypse Now by Francis Ford Coppola (1979). It's Vietnam War, yes. But it's also a succession of dreamlike scenes, sometimes very rough, but always full of visual poetry.  I recommend to watch this movie on a strong home cinema system for being totally immersed in the beautiful soundtrack, including this song by The Doors :

spotify:track:5UgT7w6zVZjP3oyawMzbiK:small 

For not being too long, I would like to name also :

* Pulp Fiction by Tarantino (1994) / never conventional and it's all what I like

spotify:track:7p6ZGUXjUe0ctAu5RNnghu:small

* The Good, The Bad And The Ugly by Sergio Leone (1966) / One of the best music by Ennio Morricone

spotify:track:1JSIWsJfxOji0FrxFcxdCK:small

* Blue Velvet by David Lynch (1986) / One of the greatest mystery films ever made

spotify:track:0jF5G6LnVRX92gFTnKxIbx:small

twitter.com/soundofus

www.soundofus.com

SoundofusSpotify Star

Great question! I’d say that my favorite movie is probably “Waking Life,” which follows a series of animated scenes in which the main character is in a perpetual dream. Each time the protagonist “wakes up,” he finds himself in another dream where he meets different characters who talk about various topics, mainly relating to philosophy and dreams. I remembered that I enjoyed watching this movie during my 9th grade English class, so I watched it again today and I’m glad to say that I still enjoy this movie. I think that I like “Waking Life” because, while some of the conversations in the protagonist’s dreams are easier for me to follow than others, I find all the conversations to be somewhat thought-provoking, keeping my interest throughout the movie. Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star

Trey, I have never heard of this film and it sounds awesome!

I'll name two:

HAROLD & MAUDE

This quirky tragicomedy tells the story of teenage Harold, an oddball who enjoys attending funerals and staging fake suicide attempts for his mother's benefit, who meets 79 year old Maude at a funeral. Harold falls in love with Maude and hilarity ensues, until tragedy takes over. Stars Bud Cort and Ruth Gordon are perfectly cast, and the soundtrack, by Cat Stevens is one of the best ever. Having seen it a dozen times, I still cry at the end.

THE PERSECUTION AND ASSASSINATION OF JEAN PAUL MARAT, AS PERFORMED BY THE INMATES OF THE ASYLUM OF CHARENTON, UNDER THE DIRECTION OF THE MARQUIS DE SADE

Yes, that's the full title. Based on a stage play, this is a bit of a convoluted explanation: it's a movie of a play within a play. The story involves an insane asylum putting on a play about the assassination  of one of the leaders of the French Revolution, using inmates as the actors, and directed by the inmate's most famous inmate- the Marquis deSade. This was a real asylum, in France, that actually did perform plays for inmate therapy, and the Marquis deSade was imprisoned there, and in fact deSade did speak at Marat's funeral. The film features the Royal Shakespeare Company, with Patrick MaGee, Glenda Jackson and Iain Richardson. And it's a MUSICAL - as only inmates in an insane asylum could produce. The whole thing is a dialogue on revolution: both inner and outer. Film is available in only one place: you can find it on youtube.

I think that it would be too hard to classify which movie or movies would be my most favorite, so I will pick 3 favorite movies, in general. I will also lay aside what might seem like obvious choices, like the "Back To The Future" series.

I'll go with:

The Neverending Story (from my childhood)

Song: Bastian's Happy Flight (which I woke up to)

THEY LIVE (It's pretty relevant today, with what's going on (control, indoctrination))

Bicentennial Man ( it's worth the 3 hours)

This is still hard to narrow down to just 3.

Follow me

I can't pick favorites with movies—there are so many to love for such a wide variety of reasons.

That said, if I approach it musically, At Close Range is a favorite.  It came out in the '80's, but I hadn't seen it until a few years ago.  If you're familiar with Madonna's song "Live To Tell," you'll really appreciate the soundtrack—she and Patrick Leonard created something that goes with the movie so well; it really captures the tension.

spotify:track:095MMFhB9qxPx2VsmvjnUs:small 

My favorite movie is Shang Chi because there are the action, science fiction, combat, magie. the movie it is a MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) and the phase four.

The music favorite in the movie is Hotel California of Eagles. the hero sing the song during the movie in karaoké. 

Requiem for a Dream is not a movie I would want to watch again. It’s stuck with me though and really burrowed its way into my soul. It’s dark and twisted and it portrays addiction without pulling any punches. Website

I bought and loved watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. In fact... I should do it again. There were so many cultural references and things happening in parallel that I was sucked right in. Beautifully made with wonderful true-to-era soundtrack too.
I would watch it on TV, but fear my parents will be like "oh god why" at the couple of bloody scenes. There are only 2 of them but man do they excel at making my stomach ache tbh 💀

Another film I want to watch again is Kung Fu Hustle. A whole heckload of amazing physics compounded by rather curious humor and special capabilities. Again a lot going on. Soundtrack-wise.. I don't remember much about that. : )

SebastySpotify Star

The Fighter - Starring Mark Whalberg

I just love the modern-day and truly relatable and believable comeback story behind it all. It's like a modern day true version of the Rocky movies. 

Suggested posts