REMASTERING

REMASTERING

morebt
Casual Listener

Am I the only person who finds the remastered version of songs that I know well an irritation to the point where they are just not worth listening to?

Who decides that the original version needs improvement - is it the record company or who? If its and additional version that the record company puts out why does Spotify seemingly always choose the remastered version over the well-known original. With George Martin just dying  I decided to listen to some old Beatles tracks only to find that they were all remastered to the point where they sounded like a tribute band. Some of the tracks were actually flat. 

The whole point of putting something like Sgt Peppers on Spotify is that people want to be reminded of what it sounded like at the time. Does the remasterer think they can do a better job than Geo Martin?

47 Replies

Ludadave

I can't stand remasters and it seems every single rock classic on spotify is a remasterd version and they are HORRIBLE. There must be some legal reason they do this and not offer the original versions. It's so bad I am considering canceling my subscription.

_3izu5-a2nx1o
Casual Listener

Simple reason...money they are changing the lyrics to make them more politically correct.  None of these bands have any **bleep** anymore to say this is rock this is who we are.  If you dont like it simply Don't listen to it how hard is it to understand?  All these record producers see dollar signs thats all that mayters to them!  I do not now or in the future want to listen to this remastered **bleep**!  Just give me the original.  They edit a song or lyric they change the whole song!  Come on music makers! 

Barnesypoo
Regular

As a professional recording engineer/producer, I am pretty appalled by the lack of original mixes on Spotify. I just won't listen to most of the remastered versions because they simply ARE NOT THE ORIGINAL MIX OF THE SONG. They are different. It is fine that you have them, but a well-designed normalizer would make the original mixes as loud as possible without actually changing the mixes. Please show the original artists, producers and engineers the respect they deserve by hosting the real versions of all their material.

_3izu5-a2nx1o
Casual Listener

Simple reason...money they are changing the lyrics to make them more politically correct.  None of these bands have any **bleep** anymore to say this is rock this is who we are.  If you dont like it simply Don't listen to it how hard is it to understand?  All these record producers see dollar signs thats all that mayters to them!  I do not now or in the future want to listen to this remastered **bleep**!  Just give me the original.  They edit a song or lyric they change the whole song!  Come on music makers! 

vaniusmarques

I hate the remasters of Spotify. They are made in automatic processes and does not keep the dynamics of the original disks. Listen pink floyd on Spotify is horrible.
Why everything has to have more volume ??

dspinder

As a new Spotify listener the "remaster" tag has piqued my interest.  I am all for offering official remasters; that is, albums that have been released formally by the artist, record company or others (MFSL, etc.).  These are great to listen to on analog equipment.  I am curious; however, how a Dramarama release (VINYL) could have a "remastered LP version" tag when it was never released as an LP, and has not had a remaster release on any format.  Who did the remastering?  Original analog tape, digital file, what?  Not sure what Spotify is implying here.

Dave

SUGGESTED POSTS