Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Return of the Trojan Man!

Return of the Trojan Man!

What happened? I thought they were gone...I THOUGHT. Oh well. If they are back for a while, sorry, but I'll have to leave Spotify again. Unless NSFW becomes an option. 

24 Replies

This morning at approximately 9 am I was listening to music (Christian, no less, songs like Amazing Grace and All I Have is Christ) and was appalled when the next ad that came on was for Trojan condoms. 

This is in really bad taste, Spotify. You've gotten multiple complaints in the past over these ads and while this new ad was not as offensive as past ones, it was still definitely not something I wanted to hear blaring through my house. I commonly listen to music with my sister who is a minor and this is not something I want to be dealing with in this way. 

If a permanent solution is not offered to this I'm going to regrettably stop using your service. I would switch to just a paid subscription but I will not support a company that thinks this advertising is appropriate, especially considering the genre I was listening to. 

Very disappointed. 

Just had the same issue. I was listening to Christian genre music no less. If there's no permanent solution offered then I too will regrettably leave Spotify. 

I do not want to hear trojan, and now con-rev sex shop comercials when I am listening to music. Highly inappropriate! How can I stop it? And has spotify responded to this..?

@j420 They've had this problem twice before, it recently stopped about a month ago after several weeks of happening. Unfortunately they haven't listened to us!! Absolutely ridiculous. 

whats offensive about those ads, cheapo, buy the product then

Anyone who wishes they could filter which ads they receive should add thier kudos and comments to this topic.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Does someone offer a solution in there? I looked through it a little bit but did not see anything. Did a spotify rep ever respond?

@j420 wrote:

Does someone offer a solution in there? I looked through it a little bit but did not see anything. Did a spotify rep ever respond?

The last time these adverts where on, the only response was when they where removed from the service and everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

Peter

Peter

Whats the deal with the trojan and sex shop ads? I have posted in this forum and I have emailed Spotify. No response. I would love an answer!

Can we shut them off? Why not just get more appropriate companies to advertise with you?

Please reply. 

You will recieve those adverts if you are old enough, they don't play if the age set in your profile is under 18. 

This is a hot topic, the main "suggestion" is Spotify implement filters for adverts which you can add your kudos and comments to here.

Peter

Peter

j420 - I've just moved your post over here, as it's the same topic.

We're sorry to hear that you guys been offended or made to feel uncomfortable by this commercial. It's really not our intention.

Just to clarify, the ad is aimed at Spotify accounts owned by users who are 18 or older. The commercial will never be played when the user is below this age, according to the date of birth given in their Spotify account profile.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

how can i change my age to under 18? Will this produce any consequences- such as making all my music edited or something? 

Just because the account holder is over 18, does not mean that people under 18 cannot hear the tracks. So maybe as well age limiting these ads you might consider also applying a watershed (like the UK TV) and only play them after 9 or 10pm (user local time).

Regardless of whether we are over 18, there are many times that content is not appropriate for professional settings. Condom ads don't bother me personally, but I am an administrative assistant in an office where families and minors create a lot of waiting-room traffic. Please, please, please, Spotify, create some kind of toggle setting where NSFW ads can be blocked when we are in professional, public, and/or family-oriented environments. This is unacceptable, and as some others have commented, I will not pay for a service to a company that implements shoddy practices like these.

I am a free user that might actually subscribe if I like Spotify.  Tonight I'm not liking Spotify.  I have made several personal stations using my favorite Christian music artists.  I'm listening to my Tenth Avenue North station singing uplifting songs praising God and ... Viola!!  Trojan condom commercial!!  EWWWWW!  And not just a plain old commercial.  A suggestive, disgusting commercial.

Come on!  REALLY??

Now I'm really loving Pandora.

Get a clue.

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

I don't think anyone is a fan of the condom commercials, we had ones from another brand in the UK a while back. It is worth pointing out you will only receive those adverts if your registered age on your Spotify account makes you over 18. 

The idea of allowing users to filter adverts is one of the hottest topics over on the Ideas Exchange here if you want to add your support. 

Peter

Peter

Really?

I dealt with it the first time, but ugh. Now it's back?
I've heard the Trojan ad twice in the past 30 minutes and it's getting bad.

Might have to load up my Pandora client at this point.

Yeah, I've not particularly cared for the advertising on Spotify, especially some of the movie adds (such as murder movies, and other R ads).  However, I've never had the condom ads until now.  I will stop using Spotify for some time, or at least finding a way around the ads.  Just because I'm over 18 doesn't mean I want to hear the ad, or feel it is in taste.  

With the top 100 list containing 25-50 explicit songs, another part being subtly or directly sexual, and many of the ads containing sexuality, with also some gore related movies, it would be hard for me to ever say that Spotifiy is a 'clean' application.  If I had a family, I'd definitely have reservations about letting my kids them use Spotify or having their own account, as it doesn't really provide any way to filter this content.  Mind you, the ads don't play to under 18's, the rest I'm sure does.

Now, the application outside of all that, I am thankful for.  It's well made, has great features, and a great way to listen to or discover new music, and overall, I love it.  Unfortunately, it is stained with bad advertisements and lack of content controls that could be easily corrected.

Dear Spotify,

I just want to say first that I love Spotify and listen every day. I hate to complain but once again those inappropriate and offensive Trojan Condom ads have started running...after "Sam" the admin/moderator from a previous thread, said the ad had stopped running and apologized for any offense caused (see below).

I don't believe anyone using Spotify has any issue with ads running. This is a free service and it's FANTASTIC that the artists are being compensated. That being said, even those of us over 18 DO NOT want to have to endure not only these highly inappropriate ads but even those Victoria's Secret ads with half naked women and "R" rated horror movie ads. Many of us listen while we're at work, surrounded by co-workers, bosses and guests - and many of us have already expressed how embarrasing it is when a condom ad starts playing loud and proud in an office setting OR when children are around.

The fact that you continue to run these types of ads after MULTIPLE consumer complaints leads me to believe that a) you are hoping we just suck it up and stop complaining and/or b) you don't really care very much about your consumers.

I really hope neither of these are true as I love and don't want to have to discontinue my Spotify account. Again, I have no problem with ads overall but PLEASE desist with the "adult" themed ads...or at least give us the option to select the type of ads we receive.

Thank You.

07-01-2013 07:05 AM

Right, as this advert has stopped running, I'm going to close the thread.

Thank you very much for all for the feedback. Again, we're sorry if any offence was caused.

If you come across any other ads that you dislike, don't hesitate to open up another thread.

Suggested posts