Spotify's Flaws

Spotify's Flaws

skeuomorph
Gig Goer

1. Spotify is slow and loathe to implement user suggestions, or even consider them.  Reference this 3 **bleep**ing year old conversation about something that should have been implemented at the beginning 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Search-for-Public-Playlists-that-Contain-Song-Artist/idi...

2. Spotify is geared toward the singles listener, not the music lover. Reference this ridiculously ignored (because the majority doesn't care) idea

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Increase-maximum-songs-allowed-in-quot-Your-Music-quot/i...

3. Spotify is not rdio.  What a freaking shame.

It's a good thing that spotify has a marginally better player than deezer.  However, I think spotify will be losing my subscription in the near future if deezer makes any effort to implement the rdio-emigre suggestions.  If Deezer chooses to ignore users the way that Spotify does, I think the only solution will be google play, apple sucks, maybe pandora if the rdio guys can change their paradigm.

14 Replies

const04

As a Spotify user, I am wondering how Spotify's intellectual property strategy differs from other apps for example, Apple Music?

xenon82
Roadie

Great! I'm glad that this has been resolved. Thanks for your patience.

Sincerely,
Me

skeuomorph
Gig Goer

Nothing is resolved.  Spotify purchased a company that suggests they might be solving what I consider to be the social flaw of the service.  Seeing as how they hadn't implemented any of the usability suggestions I've looked at and consider important (some over 3 years old),  I won't hold my breath that Spotify will suddenly become what I want. 

Spotify hates music lovers. They love casual listeners who want to hear the newest single.  Until they stop disrespecting those of us who love music, I won't give them any more money.  They'll get the same amount from me as every other **bleep**ty freeloader that they cater to, and I won't care that they suck.

I want Spotify to get better, but based on history, I don't see it.  I'm holding out hope that Deezer or Pandora will utilize recently acquired intellectual property and personel to make a true Music Lovers service.

xenon82
Roadie

I'm sorry you feel that way. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Sincerely,
Me

skeuomorph
Gig Goer

Well, well, Spotify just bought up Soundwave, so maybe one of my complaints (lack of integrated social discovery) is on board to be fixed:

http://storyboard.me/soundwave

xenon82
Roadie

Spotify takes this kind of complaint seriously. I'd suggest emailing them at contact form so they can look into this and decide what action to take

Sincerely,
Me

xenon82
Roadie

Hello,

I'm sorry that you feel that you are being ignored. However, the Spotify community takes the opinions of everyone into concern. I've seen the posts you've made, and I agree with many of the things you're saying, especially the song limit. Let me know if there's anything I or another can do to remedy your grievances.

Sincerely,
Me

skeuomorph
Gig Goer

I appreciate that.  This community is a wealth of information and I quite enjoy perusing it. However that brings up my biggest gripe about Spotify:  Why is the social aspect separate from the music?  When I go to a gig, I don't want to go home and log into Facebook to talk about what I've enjoyed.  I want to talk to the guy who's listening with me.

so, nothing you can do.  I've decided that I won't be giving spotify any more of my money because:

1) Spotify treats hardcore music lovers and listeners as an outside third party and ignores any requests for a removal of the 10,000 song cap because they're only 1% of their user base (probably the only paying part, but hey).

2) Spotify's "play button" and "queue management" are ludicrous (there's a 3 year old series of posts about this) and they refuse to fix it.

3) Spotify has responded to entreaties to include playlist content in song searches with "great idea" "give it kudos" for a number of years but has done nothing.

and finally

4) Spotify treats the social aspect of a music addiction as an afterthought, a backroom action.  Whereas I believe music is meant to be listened to, and discussed, among friends in the same room.

xenon82
Roadie

Sounds good! I would definitely agree with most of that. If you'd like, I can get in touch with somebody who will deal with your requests.

Sincerely,
Me

skeuomorph
Gig Goer

Man, spotify is older than rdio was.  If they haven't bothered to listen to any of the other users, they aren't gonna bother listening to me.  You might tell spotify that they should look at how responsive rdio was to user suggestions.  But I think spotify is geared toward the single, not the listener, so they're not gonna change.  Good luck to you! Enjoy your mediocre music experience here at spotify... I'm sure it's okay for 99% of the users.  Terrible, horrible, worthless experience for me.

skeuomorph
Gig Goer

I was kinda keen on the "Rising Star" thing, but now

I'm thinking bot?  what say ye?

skeuomorph
Gig Goer

A definition of insanity is asking the same question over and over and expecting a different answer. 

xenon82
Roadie

Oh, I'm sorry, just saw this. To be honest I'm really new here so unfortunately I'm not qualified to answer your questions. I can put you in touch with someone more experienced. Again, sorry, forgot to check this.

Sincerely,
Me
SUGGESTED POSTS