Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Time of day and genre/artist preference

Time of day and genre/artist preference

Do you prefer to listen to different genres or artists depending on the time of day? For example, do you listen to more energetic music in the morning to help wake up, and more calming music in the evening to facilitate sleeping; or does the time of day not generally impact your choice of what music to listen to? Feel free to share!

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
5 Replies

Good question!

I generally don't try to govern the feeling or attributes of music depending on the time of day, so I am not trying to lull myself to sleep with calm sounds by Kelpe or jumpstart with.. breakcore 😄

What usually happens is during the daytime I am open to music discoveries, and by the time it's midnight, sometimes later, sometimes earlier, I get tired from unfamiliar content and go back to music I love listening to. I will also listen to new discoveries I might have found prior at that time.

I do avoid very highly energetic tracks when I am tired though. Mostly because I can't handle them when I'm tired.

SebastySpotify Star

Really good question to think about.

The time of day doesn't impact my choice of listening. My choice in Artists / Genres depends more on my moods.

Thanks for sharing, @Sebasty and @Heythatsme!

I also tend to listen to my favorite genres of music independently of the time of day. However, I think that there’s a trend in the time of day regarding whether the music I listen to is familiar to me or not; I tend to listen to music that I’ve already saved to my library earlier in the day, and then after I’ve listened to some of my favorites, I often try to find new artists or tracks that I haven’t listened to before in the afternoon or evening. And while browsing new music, I usually use Private Session, since I tend to only want to scrobble music to Last.fm that I already know that I like. There are many exceptions to this trend, though. For example, I tend to check out my Discover Weekly and Release Radar playlists as soon as I’ve noticed that they’ve updated each week, which oftentimes is in the morning, so sometimes I listen to music that I haven’t saved to my library then; and I also oftentimes listen to music that I have saved to my library later in the day as well.

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star

I can’t say that I have a listening preference that depends on the time of day. The genres I listen to are all over the place, and they do not seem to follow a pattern.  The only exception is when I’m feeling particularly emotional. I do, however, listen to my Release Radar as soon as I can after its weekly update.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1wwNz6IoyapkJFqYqIjDtd?si=9hrl12gYRs2r4bCxxB-Frw

Yes definitely! Especially when I'm in different moods. This is one of my favorites for if I'm listening in the middle of the night. 

Suggested posts