Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Too Many Ads!

Too Many Ads!

I just want to mention that the ads for free accounts occur much too often. I can't even get through five tracks before I get a sequence of four or five ads. I know we are free users, but it is just ruining the experience to the point it is intolerable, and I am personaly considering finding other means of listening to music. Just wanted to get that out there. So annoying and frustating, and the ads are too long!

59 Replies

ArthurMore... I am also a profesional marketer and I also hate it when I am working with classical music and suddenly this solo-boy artist pushes his album on me when I am listening to Bach. In the age of AdChoices and GoogleAds (which sometimes can get too creepy) it is imperative to tailor your ads to different markets.

In a nutshell: "I couldn't have explained it better."

To the rest of y'all and to Spotify employees lurking here... Read his post. THAT is the answer.

Since 9 days, I can't even get through 1 song without spotify pausing and showing an ad to upgrade to premium. When I press "later" the ad pops up again 3 or 4 times before I can resume playing my playlist.
After 45 secs. to a min. the same ad pops up again.
It's become completely impossible to listen to spotify.

My question about far too many ads.

My daughter's spotify account plays advertisments constantly, like every 1-2 songs, she will get three ads in a row. I understand the service is free, but there are so many ads on her account it makes listening to music aggrivating, its 90 percent ads!

Now heres the problem, I also have a free account, and I only get ads like once or twice an hour. In fact I just listened to 15 songs in a row before I got one brief advertisment and then played another 6 songs with no ads, which has been normal for my account for the past two years.

Why is her account getting a ridiculous amount of ads  that she is begging me to pay 9.99 a month now (because the 4.99 a month pacakge which I would gladly pay is no longer there)

IS there anything that can be done to her account to make it more normal. I am not saying no ads, I am saying stop pushing so many!

Thank you!

Todd Jumper

i know nobody is going to read this or do anything about it.

I remember a time were they would only play ADS once every 4 tracks.

NOW THEY BLAST YOU WITH 3 OR 4 IN A ROW AFTER 4 SONGS ITS **bleep**ING RETARDED AS **bleep**.

WHY ARE YOU ***** MAKING YOUR SERVICE INTOLERABLE FOR FREE USERS, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US REALISES YOU WANT US TO PAY FOR PREMIUM BUT IF YOURE GONNA BE **bleep**ING ***HOLES AND PLAY 4 ADS IN A ROW EVERY **bleep**ING TIME I PASS THROUGH 4 SONGS.....

WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY FOR PREMIUM WHEN THEY SPAM ADS AT YOU SO HARD, and the worst thing about is those ads are so **bleep**ing cheesy... they make me so mad.

I CANT STAND HEARING THAT GUYS **bleep**ING ANNOYINCE VOICE AND THAT SPOTIFY WOMEN **bleep** THEM BOTH.

**bleep** spotify in general.

i refuse to pay for premium just to remove ads from my tracks, im not gonna let them win. they are ***** the way they blast you with ads now.

**bleep** spotify.

Lets just go back to torrenting songs and playing with out any **bleep**ing retarded people interupting your session between songs to tell you about how *** the premium service is.

@xedilian0070 wrote:
i know nobody is going to read this or do anything about it.

I remember a time were they would only play ADS once every 4 tracks.

NOW THEY BLAST YOU WITH 3 OR 4 IN A ROW AFTER 4 SONGS ITS **bleep**ING RETARDED AS **bleep**.

WHY ARE YOU CUNTS MAKING YOUR SERVICE INTOLERABLE FOR FREE USERS, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US REALISES YOU WANT US TO PAY FOR PREMIUM BUT IF YOURE GONNA BE **bleep**ING ASSHOLES AND PLAY 4 ADS IN A ROW EVERY **bleep**ING TIME I PASS THROUGH 4 SONGS.....

WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY FOR PREMIUM WHEN THEY SPAM ADS AT YOU SO HARD, and the worst thing about is those ads are so **bleep**ing cheesy... they make me so mad.

I CANT STAND HEARING THAT GUYS **bleep**ING ANNOYINCE VOICE AND THAT SPOTIFY WOMEN **bleep** THEM BOTH.

**bleep** spotify in general.

i refuse to pay for premium just to remove ads from my tracks, im not gonna let them win. they are cunts the way they blast you with ads now.

**bleep** spotify.

Lets just go back to torrenting songs and playing with out any **bleep**ing retarded people interupting your session between songs to tell you about how gay the premium service is.

Hey there.

It's the same in Rdio, I have free account with them. Often ads, even after one or two skip, ad. Annoying AD. It is how it all works...

Calm down and enjoy free music.

Happy Spotifying!

spotify:track:4vnJmo2efVS9yhQdvgppv1

A simple solution might be to pay a mere £10 . Blimey, you're getting it for free and complaining about ads GET OUTTA HERE.  It obviously can't be bothering you too much. 

If you don't like the ads, switch to Spotify Premium. Simple.

I can speak to you in English, Español, Français, Italiano, 日本, 普通话, 廣東話, 한국어, Tiếng Việt

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
I'm not a Spotify official! Just here to help!

As for the guy that appears to be suffering with severe tourettes (xedilian0070?) perhaps that ten pounds subscription might be better invested in medication. If you're not a tourettes sufferer I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise to all sufferers linking you to their awful condition - perhaps a strong dose of Passion flower might alleviate your symptoms and calm your mind. **im no qualified doctor so please seek qualified medical advice before pursuing my suggestion. **

If you don't like ads than go premium. No offense but you're using a free product so you can expect some ads. No need to complain.

MauriceMVRock Star 7
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

It's the kind of people the Internet has created...the 'we want it all for free as we are entitled and have an over blown sense of self worth' people. Oh and if they don't like it, they put on their keyboard warriow hat and hit caps lock to vent their world view all over the place...

I agree with you, if you don't want ads, pay the premium sub fee. If you don't want to pay, use another service...that will probably have ads as well.

(c)1972 Sinclair Research Ltd

This is what Spotify premium is for 🙂 I'm planning on getting it soon too, cause the ads are getting quite annoying. And it's quite affordable too.

after the latest update i play one song, then 2-3 ads... is this intended?

the same **bleep**in adds every **bleep**ing time and at a totally different sound level than the spotify volume

i might go trought the hassle of downloading every single song manually if the adds stay this frequent and stop using spotify.

@lazybastard1192

It's not like Spotify is working for free. They are doing this as a legal business, this isn't a pirating program.

Either 

a) keep using Spotify Free

listen to advertisements and support the artists

or

b) pay for Spotify Premium

which is a miniscule amount of money to pay for all your songs, ad-free and available offline.

or

c) buy your songs

which will cost much much more than paying for Spotify Premium but will support your artists even further

or

d) pirate your songs

which will cost your artist hundreds of dollars and will not support the artist and might leave the artist bankrupt.

Pick your choice, poison or antidote?

I honestly don't get why people are complaining, it's literally free and supports the artist at the same time.

When the service is free, you are the product, not the consumer.

I can speak to you in English, Español, Français, Italiano, 日本, 普通话, 廣東話, 한국어, Tiếng Việt

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
I'm not a Spotify official! Just here to help!

My solution to Spotify is to quit using it.  If all of the "free" users quit listening to it their ads would be worthless.  Even my favorite FM radio station doesn't have that many ads.  

I totally agree!!! I just started listening to Spotify again, and I made it through 1 song then 3 ads, then 3 more songs and 4 ads. Ridiculous! There are many other options with far fewer ads, and I am going back until this is fixed. By the way, the "Say it with a song" ad is really annoying.

I really don't bother with it anymore. I can count the times I've used it since I originally posted this note here.

Just to point out that this is NOT a matter of going premium or have "free" music.

Premium accounts DOES NOT produce enough money to sustain spotify. That's a fact.

The real core business of such a service is related to ADs. And having ADs sustaining spotify and letting us listen to free music is a very good thing. On the other hand ADs will be provided only as long as the advertising agencies will repute that a good deal.

Bombming the users with 3-4 ads each song (far more than a traditional FM radio station) will only have the effect of making them upset and quit. In this scenario I see only one possible outcome: the advertising agencies will discontinue their deals with Spotify due to the lack of audience and related convenience.

At such a point the premium subscriptions will certainly not suffice to mantain Spotify up and running, therefore the project will be closed eventually.

So that's not a matter of paying for music or pretending a free service. This is about making the most wise and reasonable choice since while advertising is a necessary aspect of a free internet services there is also a threshold of consequence.

Well said!

Total rubbish. The ads are so excessive that they literally interrupt the middle of my songs to shout at me with an advertisements-only volume boost of maybe two decibels. Utterly absurd and entirely unacceptable. As it currently stands, your Windows 8 desktop client is intolerable to the point of being unusable as far as I'm concerned.  

If you guys don't fix this issue before I finish cracking your application, then I'll fix it for you. If I have to do it, I will disable, mute, or otherwise bypass 100% of the advertisements. That would gut Spotify's potential revenue pretty significantly, I imagine, but I'll bet if I release my modified Spotify client into the wild that they'll push an update patch virtually overnight.

Anyone want to start taking odds?

-Zen

Let us all keep in mind a few things:

1. Spotify received quite some pressure to "cut down on freeloaders" simply put. 

2. Or else you opt into Premium or you deal with limited functionality and ads. As to whether or not Spotify uses this to recup losses, thats a different question.

With that being said, I can understand the inconvenience this causes for free users, no doubt about that.  But the harsh reality is: theres no such thing as a free lunch. I can guarantee that other music streaming services such as Deezer also come with their fair share of compromises if you arent a paying customer.

One cant have their cake and eat it too at the same time.

Suggested posts