Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What genre of music helps you to focus on working?

What genre of music helps you to focus on working?

I’ve found that if I listen to music that I’m already familiar with, then I’m able to focus more easily than if I listen to music that I haven’t heard before (and I’m also less prone to distractions such as reading about the artists, trying to find similar ones, etc.). However, I haven’t yet found a specific genre that facilitates concentration more so than other genres.

So, I was curious to hear if anyone has found a genre of music (or artist) that helps you to focus on working at home. Feel free to share!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
10 Replies

Instrumental and atmospheric rock/metal is generally my go to for working at home most days. Explosions in the Sky, Toundra, This Will Destroy You, If These Trees Could Talk, Russian Circles, etc. I can’t listen to anything with lyrics (especially new music) without getting distracted. I either think about the lyrics too much, or I wanna move and sing along. Those little karaoke breaks add up after awhile unfortunately. XD If it’s too loud, it’s also distracting. If it’s too calm or quiet, I get bored of working. The only exception to the no lyrics thing is Nordic folk with vocals, but that’s probably because the language is foreign to me and usually complements the atmospheric elements quite well.

Thanks for sharing, @Miselio!

I’m going to try listening to instrumental music while working at home, based on your reply. I also find that I sometimes start singing along with songs that I’m familiar with, too; I hope that my neighbors can’t hear me, since my vocal skills are lacking, haha. Also, I like the bands If These Trees Could Talk and Russian Circles as well! I don’t typically listen to post-rock/metal as frequently as other genres, however the bands that I listen to in these genres are for the most part instrumental, so I might put on my “post-rock/post-metal/shoegaze/drone” playlist today while I’m working on my Materials and Methods writeup.

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star

For me, either lofi/pop instrumental beats or jazz instrumentals. This is the playlist I've been really into when studying or just trying to focus more on something 😊 https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DX3SiCzCxMDOH?si=PQmjcaYESduUtl1Wbi_rLg

Lyse

https://linktr.ee/lysemusic

if found that some heavy metal helps. drowns out all other noise. from thoughts to actual distractions. 

Progressive House, hands down. I listen to it when I'm working on everything. It's atmospheric and doesn't distract too much, probably because it's mostly instrumental. The way the longer songs slowly change over time is perfect for stimulating creativity. 

I find music without words is always better for focus as it isn't as distracting and blends into the background. Here is my ‘String Textures’ playlist which I use for relaxation, focus and reading!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5VSd5qzerL36xHkqrwnCMr?si=8SrFWgyNS0mhpOHwA_HHFw

I usually listen to soft pop music, or some indie/rock/pop playlists.

I also found out two guys on spotify. They are Teddy Sims and Jake Scott... they've got preety nice songs... You guys should check 'em out. 

Mattzenero_0-1595435139092.png

Mattzenero_1-1595435161214.png

I am a mono-tasking guy so when I work I generally work in silence. But when I am browsing the internet or doing something not important I'll mostly fire up a recommended playlist, the bookmarked songs or ambient music.

Hey everyone, 

To focus on my work I usually play something without lyrics so that there's no plot to distract me from what I'm doing. Lyrics require your attention, so I'd rather go with jazzy or classical instrumentals. Maybe sometimes retro hits. 

spotify:track:0vDG38HtNESs6UBx1kvdlw:small 

spotify:track:3KtsRijwp8KunCRYlOdWEi:small 

spotify:track:4oGTdOClZUxcM2H3UmXlwL:small 

Bollywood soundtracks. At least it made working on the project more fun 😄

(just.. anything but Shalimar, this one will attract my attention to itself just because how glorious it is!)

I also listen to some psyche/drone folk in such occasions. Usually just everynoise.com playlists.

SebastySpotify Star

Suggested posts