Announcements

2019 update has ruined my music listening experience

I've got some criticism I'd like to share on the the recent update.

No list for saved songs by artist:

When I want to listen to a specfic artist, 90% of the time I want to listen to their catalogue I'm familiar with. Previously, I would land on my saved songs by them which would be all their singles and albums I've decided I want to listen to more by saving them - simple, right? Landing on their public page may look appealing, but if I don't feel like listening to a specific album there's a good chance I don't feel like listening to their entire discography, unless I've already familiarised myself with all of it. I don't want to make individual playlists for my personal selection of favourite albums by my favourite artists because this is generally something I want to do quickly. A lot of the time I want to listen to a specific artist because when they come on one of my playlists I'll decide I want to listen to more of something I'm familiar with. I'm not going to make a playlist every time that happens. It's not user friendly.

This feature may help the confusion of when albums disappear as they change labels/distributors (if I only ever used artist pages and not playlists or albums), but a much simpler fix would be having the ISRC carry over when reuploaded so users don't find themselves saving albums twice (get good, guys. it's incredibly simple and been an issue for way too long). And realistically, this will actually make it worse because I'll only be able to see my saved albums if I've done this if I go into the "albums" tab before saving an album I've already saved, and I can't browse my saved albums via artist (not even through search). Let's say an artist changed the hands of 3 of their albums, I'd have to look up each release to make sure I'm not duplicating an already chaotic library.

Albums not saving songs; the assumed push for using "Liked songs":

The reasons this is bad are similar to the artist page issue, but it's almost more of a mess. Credit's due that without this artist feature, saving songs is a bit trivial and this "liked song" list could be used as a nice list of my favourite songs from these albums. Good in theory (kinda). HOWEVER - my list has over 5000 songs. Have you lost your mind, Spotify? I've been a premium user for 2 years and I get rewarded by nullifying the convenience of my library? Whatever positives this may have for a new user are a complete negative for a loyal user. 

Sure, the power of streaming has changed my listening habits for better and worse since I signed up, and it has made it harder to familiarise myself with things when so much is right at my fingertips. But this update has undoubtedly made it harder for me to keep listening to the artists/albums I like (special mention to the extra clicks to get to repeat and queue on the phone apps). If Spotify is going to roll out something this detrimental to my library, could they at least use their algorithms to make the "liked songs" ones they know I flog, and the more popular songs from the albums I like (or something?? anything??). 

If Spotify is going to push me to only listen to playlists I make and ones made for me, I may as well listen to music on YouTube or something and sit back like a mindless neanderthall while the algorithm chooses the most clickworthy songs in the genre. I won't cancel my subscription just yet, but I've signed up to Apple Music and this is a much better experience already, and it'll be much easier to get my library together here even though I haven't used iTunes in over 2 years - that's pretty sad. I'll miss the culture of Spotify but I can't do this unless it's fixed. 

EDIT:

After a few months I've decided the liked song feature is improving my experience (but I still need to sort out those 5000 songs), however the lack of an artist list of saved albums/songs is still very annoying. 

Updated on 2019-07-11

We’re closing this idea as it doesn’t follow one or more of the following Idea Exchange requirements:

• One change request per Idea. If you have more than one idea please make a new Idea submission for each.
    • Ideas should be posted in English.
    • Asking for a complete roll back will be closed--we need specific feedback on exactly what you are liking/ disliking about the latest update (but again one idea per thread).
    • Idea posts must follow the Spotify Community Guidelines.

Please post a detailed explanation of the change you’d like to see, with one idea per thread again in the Idea Submissions board.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
Valdameer

No idea why spotify would change the behaviour of the artists page this way without providing "view by artist" or "view by album" on your saved songs tab. Such a nightmare to manage my listening now

billycox2321
Regular

Well said. Couldn't agree more. I'm gonna switch too. BTW, how difficult is it to transfer a library of say 2500 songs from Spotify to Apple? Asking for a friend.

sponkulusnodge
Casual Listener
I used Tune My Music, takes a little while but makes things a bit easier
Danaragona
Casual Listener

Have their been any solutions at all to get browsing saved music by Artist back? I’ve been dealing with this for months and it’s infuriating.

billycox2321
Regular
Go to their chat help and just keep bugging them about it. Last chat help
guy I talked to said he hated it too.
Katerina
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2019-07-11

We’re closing this idea as it doesn’t follow one or more of the following Idea Exchange requirements:

• One change request per Idea. If you have more than one idea please make a new Idea submission for each.
    • Ideas should be posted in English.
    • Asking for a complete roll back will be closed--we need specific feedback on exactly what you are liking/ disliking about the latest update (but again one idea per thread).
    • Idea posts must follow the Spotify Community Guidelines.

Please post a detailed explanation of the change you’d like to see, with one idea per thread again in the Idea Submissions board.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Related Ideas