3G bitrate?

Does Spotify stream at a lower bitrate when it is on 3G?  Back when the highest available was 160kbps I didn't care, but now that it can go up to 320kbps it'd be nice if we could select a lower bitrate when on 3G.  I'd like to listen to the higher quality when I'm around wifi but not waste my limited 3G data on it.  And it'd be nice to not have to change the quality switch constantly if it doesn't already do this.  Thanks.

Although this idea has been suggested first, I'd like to point you to a similar, more popular idea here:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Spotify-Mobile-Auto-quality-streaming/idi-p/85675

Add your kudos there please - the existing kudos here will be added soon! ;)
Comments
David
Spotify Legend
Hey!

There's just the one setting for stream quality at the moment. That idea does make a lot of sense, though.

I'm moving this to the ideas board so people can add Kudos and comment on this idea - This way, we can see what's a popular request more easily!
SteveBrammer
Community Legend

This strikes me as a luxury problem relevant only to the chosen ones running iOS. The rest of us, running other mobile platforms, would love to be even given the choice to stream or sync-offline at 320kbps.

IrrelevantD

I love this idea and wish more services would offer it.  I used to spend hours at a time on my bike (3-5+) and turn off 3G to save battery life on my phone while streaming.  I haven't done this in a while due to not having time to get out on the bike, but I found that Pandora was one of the few services that didn't have issues on AT&T's EDGE. 

I think EDGE would probably max out at 128-160Kbps realistically, so having the app coded to adjust bitrate based on connection speed or better yet, be able to manually set the bitrate would be a huge plus for me.  Throwing in some buffering (if not already there) would be a great addition as well. In my case, this would be a limiting factor in any decision to upgrade to the paid service. 

I'm not as concerned with data usage (thank you grandfathered Unlimited plan), but I can definitely see the benefit on data usage in being able to switch to a lower bitrate.  Especially for those of us who really can't tell the difference, or don't have the equipment to be able to tell the difference in anything above 192kbps. 

tjb
Roadie

Steve-  IOS has only had the 320kbps feature for a few months, and it doesn't even work properly.  I understand your frustration, but I don't think this thread is the place to vent it.  I was merely asking a question and making a suggestion.  Since I am an IOS user (or "chosen one"), obviously my question will reflect that.  Thanks.

SteveBrammer
Community Legend

tjb - Where do you suggest I vent my frustration? Spotify don't appear to be taking much of an active interest in the Android forum (http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/The-Android-Forum-Deserves-More-Attention/td-p/31081) so we Android users have to take every opportunity we get to make our voices heard.

crispae

Just putting my +1 in for this idea too. A pretty universal need that would be especially useful in the outer colonies (Australia, NZ) where people are still being charged through the nose for mobile data.

sonka
This would be one of the only areas in which your already excellent app would improve. I listen to Spotify via my Airplay speakers under wifi at home, and stream over 3g in my car. I have to adjust this setting nearly every day.
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Duplicate

Although this idea has been suggested first, I'd like to point you to a similar, more popular idea here:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Spotify-Mobile-Auto-quality-streaming/idi-p/85675

Add your kudos there please - the existing kudos here will be added soon! ;)
damonsalter

I just now realized spotify hasn't completed this configuration for two years.  Uggg.  Just because Pandora doesn't have this feature doesn't mean you can step up your game spotify.