[Account] Don't force us to use Numbers as Usernames

Over the last few weeks more and more users are getting a random string of characters as usernames, even if they specified a normal one during sign up. No one on the community website is getting any info from Spotify as to what is going on.

During a chat with support I was told:

"As part of the long-term plans to remove the username from the sign-up flow, we started rolling out the new sign-up option, with display name instead of a username on the Web page."
This does not really answer why we are expected to give people gibberish if we want to connect to our friends, nor why this major change has been implemented without any information going to the public.

So my idea is:
Don't Do That.
Don't make us use gibberish to connect to people, don't make us use gibberish to sign in, don't ask us to choose a username then ignore our requests and replace them with gibberish, and don't make these kinds of changes without informing us as to what you are doing, why you are doing it, and what benifit it may have for us.

Updated on 2018-06-27

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community!

As we look to improve the overall Spotify experience, we’re now automatically generating usernames, hence the random numbers and letters. You don’t need to remember this to log in. You can log in with just your password and the email address associated with your account.

During sign up, you can personalize your account by creating a profile name that’s displayed in the app. There’s no limitations to a profile name, so you can choose any you like :)

It’s not possible to log in with a profile name however.

Rest assured you don't need to give your generated username out to friends for them to find you.
There's info on sharing your profile here.

Thanks!
/M

Related Ideas

Comments
user-removed
Not applicable

I have this problem. Only just signed up a few minutes ago. I set my username but Spotify didn’t take it for some reason and replaced it with these random numbers and letters. 

I have to say I am very disappointed as I was looking forward to use this to upload Music. I do hope Spotify can fix this. 

VARAMODE
Casual Listener

This is literally the dumbest**bleep** ever. Seriously. Either don't display the "username" to us so we don't have to look at the random string of characters everytime we visit our account page, or let us change it to whatever we want. This is pissing me off and makes me want to cancel my subscription.

Zambiblasian1
Casual Listener

Woah, wt??? Long term plan to remove usernames? What kind of shiт-tier meth are these guys scoring??? Spotify seems to really enjoy fetishising self-harm.

P.S.: Spotify, when I type "wtꬵ", I MEAN TO TYPE wtꬵ; do not change it to "wth"! Especially when you took your time to create an explicit filter for songs whilst advertising a "Family Plan". You hypocritical wаnkstains

qq8-8ct_cs4lk
Regular

I can vote for it, and have done so. (even though I fully embrace my username above)

z_0-3qna8htp

@VARAMODE wrote:

This is literally the dumbest**bleep** ever. Seriously. Either don't display the "username" to us so we don't have to look at the random string of characters everytime we visit our account page, or let us change it to whatever we want. This is pissing me off and makes me want to cancel my subscription.

This is so dumb. this should be something internally used; like, support and moderation teams can see our "real" account usernames, but we shouldn't have to rely on it. Vanity usernames, ffs.

Davekelly20181
There must be a way my friends **bleep**ing name on mine need to change it like how can I do it
user-removed
Not applicable

True it looks ugly and many people signed up with facebook so you can surely use the facebook name instead of the number

Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2018-06-27

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community!

As we look to improve the overall Spotify experience, we’re now automatically generating usernames, hence the random numbers and letters. You don’t need to remember this to log in. You can log in with just your password and the email address associated with your account.

During sign up, you can personalize your account by creating a profile name that’s displayed in the app. There’s no limitations to a profile name, so you can choose any you like :)

It’s not possible to log in with a profile name however.

Rest assured you don't need to give your generated username out to friends for them to find you.
There's info on sharing your profile here.

Thanks!
/M