[Account] Don't force us to use Numbers as Usernames

Over the last few weeks more and more users are getting a random string of characters as usernames, even if they specified a normal one during sign up. No one on the community website is getting any info from Spotify as to what is going on.

During a chat with support I was told:

"As part of the long-term plans to remove the username from the sign-up flow, we started rolling out the new sign-up option, with display name instead of a username on the Web page."
This does not really answer why we are expected to give people gibberish if we want to connect to our friends, nor why this major change has been implemented without any information going to the public.

So my idea is:
Don't Do That.
Don't make us use gibberish to connect to people, don't make us use gibberish to sign in, don't ask us to choose a username then ignore our requests and replace them with gibberish, and don't make these kinds of changes without informing us as to what you are doing, why you are doing it, and what benifit it may have for us.

Updated on 2018-06-27

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community!

As we look to improve the overall Spotify experience, we’re now automatically generating usernames, hence the random numbers and letters. You don’t need to remember this to log in. You can log in with just your password and the email address associated with your account.

During sign up, you can personalize your account by creating a profile name that’s displayed in the app. There’s no limitations to a profile name, so you can choose any you like :)

It’s not possible to log in with a profile name however.

Rest assured you don't need to give your generated username out to friends for them to find you.
There's info on sharing your profile here.

Thanks!
/M

Related Ideas

Comments
Niccibicci31

Yes! If I could work out how, I would vote for you!

sbmir
Casual Listener

I agree!!! This is ridiculous!! I'm thinking of leaving Spotify

colincbn
Gig Goer

Please vote if you agree! According to the help-desk rep I talked to Getting votes on this Idea is the best way to get Spotify to change their stance.

sbmir
Casual Listener

Just did! Thanks

LinhMy1

This!!!!  But I can't vote on this! It won't let me vote!

morelove

Same as LinhMy1! I can't seem to vote! But yes! Once I figure out how to I will!

UPDATE: It seems that I just had some connectivity issues! I have voted!

Barthelmei
Casual Listener

When I chatted with them they said:

"I can see that you've just created the account. As it was just created, it takes some time for the display name instead of the random strings of numbers and letters to appear on your end. The same thing when you link a Facebook account to your Spotify account wherein it'll not immediately show up your Facebook name."

Has anyone seen it change?

Shayne55434

My friend just signed up for premium and is having this issue, too. Apparently she can login to the website with this garbage username but cannot login to the app on her phone. She has reset her password and tried her email address she used when she signed up. Nothing. This is an awful 'feature' and needs to be corrected. 

user-removed
Not applicable

Yes, please! My username has been "22sn52pfi734ghlcrawastjy" since I upgraded from free to preium student Spotify. I can't seem to vote for some reason, but will come back alter and try to do so.

4ey59l344nxn3sf

I also can't vote for some reason. Have they closed this?