[Account] Don't force us to use Numbers as Usernames

Over the last few weeks more and more users are getting a random string of characters as usernames, even if they specified a normal one during sign up. No one on the community website is getting any info from Spotify as to what is going on.

During a chat with support I was told:

"As part of the long-term plans to remove the username from the sign-up flow, we started rolling out the new sign-up option, with display name instead of a username on the Web page."
This does not really answer why we are expected to give people gibberish if we want to connect to our friends, nor why this major change has been implemented without any information going to the public.

So my idea is:
Don't Do That.
Don't make us use gibberish to connect to people, don't make us use gibberish to sign in, don't ask us to choose a username then ignore our requests and replace them with gibberish, and don't make these kinds of changes without informing us as to what you are doing, why you are doing it, and what benifit it may have for us.

Updated on 2018-06-27

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community!

As we look to improve the overall Spotify experience, we’re now automatically generating usernames, hence the random numbers and letters. You don’t need to remember this to log in. You can log in with just your password and the email address associated with your account.

During sign up, you can personalize your account by creating a profile name that’s displayed in the app. There’s no limitations to a profile name, so you can choose any you like :)

It’s not possible to log in with a profile name however.

Rest assured you don't need to give your generated username out to friends for them to find you.
There's info on sharing your profile here.

Thanks!
/M

Related Ideas

Comments
MarixpressMusic

I agree. I am finding this extremely frustrating. Why is my display name anything other than the user name I've chosen?? I linked my account to facebook hoping at least the display name would change to my real name used with Facebook but no such luck. This is a premium service we are paying for. We aren't asking for much.

0fgmvk1udhhicyy

I have the same problem! Very annoying1

hal9000wm

this is such bull**bleep** if u actually sign in and get a stupid garbeld name

im tryign to set up a artist accoun ti have no idea how to get it to work almost like ur trying tp push people away from ur site

if its not easy to sign up for  a artist account after u spend countless hrs maken music then get roadblcoekd at spotifys **bleep** site with no help to find a way to get a artist page going to finally get released streamed make two pennies off a song

then u cant adn get a **bleep** username

how is this even a service

how do u get a artist page and a name u actually use probly not gonan use spotify or tell anyone to use it

user-removed
Not applicable

I would really like to change my username. A long string of random letters and numbers is not a username. Why should I have to delete my account and start over to do this?

unfazed

Yes please! Make it quick.

user-removed
Not applicable

I'd also like to point out that no one can find me on Spotify unless they have Facebook, and a lot of my friends do not use Facebook! I also don't want my account linked to Facebook. If the username can't change, can we at least have a display name that we can edit and that is searchable? Please.

hajincho

YES PLEASE! My username is a string of random numbers and I hate seeing it. I signed up through my Facebook but now my Facebook is deactivated and my username was changed from my name to this string of numbers, making it harder to connect with my friends on Spotify. Spotify PLEASE fix this issue!

Schwimmnixe04

they cannot be serious. What is the use of a display name? As far as I remember I was asked to type in a username. What I got was a random word with numbers and characters. How am I supposed to login to Spotify. Does Spotify want to me to use my email as the only option?

would like to get a clarification.

thanks

Juliamannning33
Casual Listener

Very true 

jdhw3283849

Not sure how to get my comment posted, but I agree! I just signed up last night and got some crazy username of numbers and letters. I contacted customer service and was told that people can't search for me using my name and I have to provide them with the username I was given (I have no idea what that is because it's way too many letters and numbers). This is a really poor business move. My account should be personalized. I'm planning to make playlists, listen to music that I like, and share it with others. Music is very personal, so I'm not sure who decided this was a good move, but I would strongly encourage you to change it ASAP!