[Account] Don't force us to use Numbers as Usernames

Over the last few weeks more and more users are getting a random string of characters as usernames, even if they specified a normal one during sign up. No one on the community website is getting any info from Spotify as to what is going on.

During a chat with support I was told:

"As part of the long-term plans to remove the username from the sign-up flow, we started rolling out the new sign-up option, with display name instead of a username on the Web page."
This does not really answer why we are expected to give people gibberish if we want to connect to our friends, nor why this major change has been implemented without any information going to the public.

So my idea is:
Don't Do That.
Don't make us use gibberish to connect to people, don't make us use gibberish to sign in, don't ask us to choose a username then ignore our requests and replace them with gibberish, and don't make these kinds of changes without informing us as to what you are doing, why you are doing it, and what benifit it may have for us.

Updated on 2018-06-27

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community!

As we look to improve the overall Spotify experience, we’re now automatically generating usernames, hence the random numbers and letters. You don’t need to remember this to log in. You can log in with just your password and the email address associated with your account.

During sign up, you can personalize your account by creating a profile name that’s displayed in the app. There’s no limitations to a profile name, so you can choose any you like :)

It’s not possible to log in with a profile name however.

Rest assured you don't need to give your generated username out to friends for them to find you.
There's info on sharing your profile here.

Thanks!
/M

Related Ideas

Comments
4ey59l344nxn3sf

Update: I could vote on this post after leaving my comment above...

abbylicious0291

If you want to vote for this, you need to register your community account. In the top left of the page you click "Welcome", then "Newcomers and Contribution". All you really have to do is make a username..  😁

ashleeandchris

please please please let us make our own user names again. For the love of god and all those names you make when you're young dumb and stupid you're now saddled with 

Serynn

Gah, this is so annoying :( I'm a new spotify user and it's extremely frustrating that in some places in the UI it will show the username I put in during signup, and in other places in the UI it will show a string of gibberish. I don't want to be gibberish. I want to be my name. I'd like to sign up for Spotify Premium to get rid of the ads but there's no way I'm going to do that with an account that is a gibberish name :/

ThisISFort

Agree... this is supposed to be like instagram or Twitter that tou can change to available username.

that strange username is so painful to see.

gibfahn

+1

Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2017-11-01

Marked as new idea. You may also be interested in this idea.

EscapingBurger

I only recently joined Spotify, but I already submitted a support ticket on the gibberish username because I assumed it was a bug. It's definitely strange if this is intentional, especially if this is your only identifier on the social side of the service if you don't have a Facebook account. I moved over here from Groove, but may have to see how this thread goes before commiting to a paid account.

DrewDT

I totally agree with this. I have never signed up for a service that gave me a random 25 character username which is basically unusable.  I want to share playlists with others and having them search this random username is not an option.  Thankfully I am on the premium trial period and this could be a deal breaker to an otherwise solid product.

keruxdunord

Will not be buying Premium or supporting this software until this idea is implemented. It is totally ridiculous that a contemporary media product does not allow users to customize their own individual username so as to better facilitate social media usage and other social networking.