Adding Family Subscriptions to Student Discounted Plan

I'm currently a Master's student continuing on with a PhD program starting next fall, so I currently am able to take advantage of the 50% student discount. Unfortunately, I won't be able to add on the new Family Sharing plans to my account for my wife and two children unless I give up my discount. While it seems negligent, an extra $60/year in addition to the extra $180/year for the new 3 separate Family Sharing accounts in addition to the $60/year I'm already paying seems like a little overkill. I understand Spotify would like to increase their revenue, but throwing a bone to those working professional students and allowing Family Sharing additions on discounted accounts would be great.

(This idea has been reposted here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Subscription-Combine-Student-Discount-with-Family-Subscr...)

Updated: 2015-10-20

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Related Ideas

Comments
cda555

I agree!  I understand that there will be people taking advantage of a double discount by inviting their friends and family to use their student discount, but it would be a negligible disadvantage to Spotify.  For example, if a student invites his friends on his account, chances are they are probably students too and don't really need to use their friends.  This business model has a huge profit margin, even if you factor in customer acquisition and what they pay the artists.  I believe it would be a good business decision to allow the students to use the family discount because there are more of the honest users than the dishonest ones.  Plus, the people willing to scam Spotify were probably not paying money in the first place so Spotify actually gains by taking their money.  

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

Marked as new idea.

This idea requests that when you want to use the new Spotify Family plan, you're able to keep your student discount for Spotify (half price for Spotify Premium in certain countries).

kbrooksc
Community Legend

Kudos given. Not sure of the business case on Spotify's end, but very well written! I too hope this gets implemented! I'll have to give up my discount as well for my wife to come on.

TrevorCasey

I totally agree, I am in high school and my brother is in college. My brother has the student discount on premium and i have no premium yet, but i really want it to discover more awesome music without paying for each song or killing my data through soundcloud. I would really love a plan that i could join on with my brother, (the family plan with 2 members for $14.99) but with the student discount on ONE of the accounts because i am not a student yet, reducing the price to $10.00, would that be possible? I know it's kind of taking advantage of the system, but if you can get 50% off for adding another account into a family plan and have 50% off on a student plan, it should be a possibility. I know it's only $5 a month, but it does add up, especially for a family with a member in college. :)

haugenjay

I have a family account, with one other person on it. I'm also a student, and would like to get the student discount, and add my wife to the plan. Can someone help me get this done? 

user-removed
Not applicable

There isn't going to happen because then that would be like giving everyone the student discount.

Someone is always going to have pay 10 dollars for their subscription unless everyone is a student.

manc555
Casual Listener

I agree,

I have a Student Spotify account for £5 per month.  It would be good if I could add my wife also for £5.  At the moment she uses Deezer (discount through Orange mobile).. but we  both prefer spotify.

txlolz
+1 for this idea.
leroneb

Love this idea, and i'm sure they can find a way to make it worth their while, perhaps 9.99 for 2 family members on student plan.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

(This idea has been reposted here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Subscription-Combine-Student-Discount-with-Family-Subscr...)

Updated: 2015-10-20

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! ;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!