Advanced Library

Could you please reconcider the following idea below? 

I know the case has been closed. But let's be honest. The "You Music" function isn't an adequate alternative at all. Nowhere near enough.
@blau wrote:

The Library is a really confusing and endless list of songs, especaly on the mobile apps. You can't just click around and just listen to music without knowing what you want to hear.

It would be awesome if there was a possibility to Split the Screen when you're in the library an show a list with Artists, Album and Genre. Like we all know it from iTunes, Winamp, WMP. So you could click on an artist an all titles, albums and genres that aren't realated to him disappear. Just like a predefined Filters for all the artists, genres and albums in your library.

So it would be much easier to search to search for music in your library without knowing exactly what you are searching for.

This is also why a search function can't replace such filters.

Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-22 um 10.03.06.png

There should also be a possibility to edit which details are shown in the library. Things like "year of release", "track number on the album" or just "number on the playlist" are hardly missing.

2014-04-09 Hey guys, we’re going to mark this Ideas as “Case closed”.

That’s because this week we introduced “Your Music”. Now you can save, organize and browse your favorite music. All in one place, across all platforms.

As users will now be able to view all their favorite artists, albums, and songs “Your Music” rather than a “Library” this idea is now closed. For a glimpse of “Your Music” and our new design changes click here.

These changes have rolled out to iPhone, desktop and web users this week, and will soon be available across all platforms. Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Updated: 2016-02-19

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Roadie

The "Your Music" function is completely useless up to  February 19, 2015  12:03:58 ET.  In fact, the Spotify User Interface would be 100% more useful if the Preferences had a CheckBox to  HideThatDetested_YourMusic  hog of screen real-estate.

What @MaxRoutine is recommending here is a "slice and dice" query function across a selected set from whatever raw data elements exist in the Spotify database-- and That would be useful.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

Marked as new idea.
This idea requests a better way to navigate the Your Music feature based on this closed idea.

Roadie

I would like to see the following in "Your Music":

• Being able to add more than 10 000 songs, cmon this limit is ridiculous for the music collectors or with other words the "actual" users of "Your Music"
  • Add filter search box in each section not only in "Songs". I am talking about the Ctrl+F in the desktop version of Spotify.
  • Add "Genre" section in "Your Music". This is supposed to be our collection but limiting its functionality to only songs, albums and artists feels like I am looking at a playlist with some predefined mostly useless filters. The real reason to have a collection of a lot songs is to be able to check for example what is the "Rock" music I have in my collection.
  • I know this is a long shot but having personal listening stats on songs, albums and artists would be a killer feature, one which competitors like Google have in their service. This missing feature is the one that is constantly making be go back and forth between Spotify and Google.

I hope someone from Spotify sees this and passes it to the team and let them know that "Your Music" can be the one feature which would make anyone in the world go with Spotify and forget all the other competition.

Roadie

PERFECT IDEA!  We need an actual User Interface to the vast Spotify music archives.  I can see many different designs for an actual User Interface to Spotify-- including the one you recommend as a redesign of "Your Music" to make it functional.

.....  >> Being able to add more than 10,000 songs.

Absolutely!  This a basic requirement for any useful actual User Interface to Spotify.  From my "proof of concept" prototypes, I would say that you have to have at least 50,000 minimum DeDuplicated tracks based on removing duplicates of "Song Name"-- after correcting the Spotify typos and junk jammed into the "Song Name" such as "remaster" and "Live".  If you want particular covers, you should add these in a separate "Playlist" that you DeDuplicate only based on Artist-TrackName.

.....  >> I hope someone from Spotify sees this and passes it to the team . . . .

Sadly no.  The "team" must concentrate on what 80% of the paying users require-- namely small playlists and mobile devices that cannot handle anything over 10,000 songs-- hardly even 100 songs.

I bet you cannot find any user playlists that are over 5000 tracks.  Even if you make a special polite request that you want to see playlists over 5000 tracks, you will find none, zero, none.  (Of course, it would not be fair to check the Playlists of SubzeroSC or of Rednblu-- which playlists are all as close as feasible to 10,000 tracks as possible-- taking into consideration, for example, that you want playlists to be easily editable-- you may want your core music to be alphabetical so that you can find by exact TrackName every single GodDamned Christmas song to delete each and every forever from your "library"-- make sense?)

That is, since less than 1% of the paying Spotify customers would use anything that SubzeroSC and I, Rednblu, assert are "starting and basic requirements" for a User Interface to Spotify, it would be disastrous business for Spotify to tempt the "team" with the ideas of SubseroSC and Rednblu to do any of the following:

* Raise the track maximum on each playlist by a factor of ten to at least 100,000 tracks

* Make a functional Filter Ctrl-F across "Artists" and "Albums" and "Music Genres"

* Collect listening stats by time buckets.  (last.fm imitates only about 5% of this functionality-- for example, last.fm cannot tell you when any particular track, album, artist, or genre was last played.)

What is required is that the Spotify User Community design and develop "tools" completely outside Spotify to do what is required to actually hear the incredible depth in the Spotify music collection.

All of the Spotify access routes such as Discover, Radio, YourMusic, Shuffle, Folders, and teeny-tiny Playlists less than 10,000 tracks-- give you only repeats, repeats, duplicates, and repeats.  Try any Spotify access route, such as Discover, Radio, . . . .  Repeat repeat repeat.

Using Excel outside Spotify, however, you can put together adequate playlists in folders that will give you no SameSong within 6 months of continuous 24X7 play.  When the repeats and duplicates and TypoRepeats have been removed, then the Spotify Shuffle function will actually dig into the wonderful depth of the Spotify music collection-- instead of playing the repeats that you don't want.

But 80% of the paying Spotify customers want only repeats and duplicates and TypoRepeats that they can play on their mobile devices.  So here we are-- suggesting WorkArounds-- giving 100% of the Spotify User Interface entirely outside Spotify.  For example, you Randomize your 100,000 track playlist in Excel outside of Spotify-- and then copy the top 9,000 tracks directly into your "Play Queue"; the added tracks are highlighted in yellow.  That will give you great and wide and deep listening into the enormous Spotify music collection without a repeat for a whole month.  And also this way, when you restart your desktop Spotify, you will start playing where you quit the last time-- with no repeats for a whole and blessed month.  Try it.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea
Updated: 2016-02-19

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!