Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Block / disallow suggestions for certain content

The last 8 times I've opened Spotify I've been greeted by a big waiting Bible podcast recommendation sat there. I get the hint Spotify, but stop. It was cool the first time. It was boring the second. And it is in fact so annoying by the 8th time that I have to write this post to ask for this feature to be implemented.

I hope it's been made clear: I don't want to listen to the bible, much less on Spotify, and there is no way within the app to ask it to stop recommending me this, honestly, outrageously offensive content. I would very much appreciate this feature, thanks in advance. I'm sure the bible people would appreciate such a feature as well!

Updated on 2023-08-22

Hey there folks,

This suggestion got moved to the wrong place by mistake and we're setting it to live idea again. Thank you all for bringing your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We're keeping the previous Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
Kalastria

Every time I open Spotify I am greeted with a banner of podcasts under "Shows you may like" With such "lovely characters" as Joe Rogan, and Jordan Peterson and pictures of their faces which I "really enjoy" looking at.

There is no button I can click to tell Spotify to never, ever show me these people ever again.

Because I never listen to podcasts I assumed that Spotify doesn't know that I don't have ever desire to hear a word out of these "gleaming examples of men", So I assumed that if I listened to dnd and history podcasts, it might give the algorithm a hint that I really don't want to listen to far right hate preachers.

But no...

Please, Please add a "No, I will not like this" button for podcasts so I don't have to see their faces and be reminded of their existence.

That or a "F*** off" button, or a "Cancel spotify premium" under each of them.

takalol

So this is mainly towards podcasts.
I subscribe to some Game development, Art,  3D art and Vfx podcasts.
For some random reason I'm being suggested to listen the Jordan Peterson Podcast.
I, in no way, endorse or would remotely listen to Jordan Peterson for 65 minutes without an external reason to do so.
And today I opened spotify on my phone in my car and my friend who was with me was like:
"You're listening to Jordan Peterson?"
I had to awkwardly explain that I'm not, spotify suggests and there's nothing I can do about it.
This is totally insane, let me just remove this from my suggestions what the **bleep**

ibrahimogluselim

hi, please please please add an option to Spotify such as "don't recommend this channel/song" as it is in youtube. Sometimes, Spotify offers me some songs and podcast channels that I am never interested in and I even don't want to see. This makes trouble to me. I want to be able to block or at least hide these unwanted songs and podcasts from my main page of Spotify. 

RevolutionXenon

Every single time I open Spotify on either Android or Windows, the first category in my recommended is podcasts (either "Shows to try" or "Episodes for you") and its always three relatively normal/boring podcasts lumped in with one of the most detestable and infuriatingly awful shows I've ever seen. One of them which has consistently shown up to me for over six months has an utterly disgusting cover image that makes me detest visiting my Spotify home page. I'm awfully sick of seeing these on my recommended, I have never once used Spotify for podcasts and never plan to, especially considering whats on offer.

I understand that there's already a big submission to have the option to hide podcasts entirely, but if that's not on the table for whatever reason, then there ought to be an option on the context menu of a podcast to remove it from recommended. I don't mean a vague suggestions about what to recommend either, just a laser precision removal of a particular show a user might find objectionable, making it not show up in recommended either on the home page or in the extension of any given category.

I know I can't hit hide on everything under the sun I might dislike but I think something like this would trim down the negative experiences I have with Spotify substantially.

migueecb

A button that allow us to hide or not recommend certain kind of content, for example, if I dont like a podcast to show up on my feed, hopefully you guys can add it soon 🙂

lunareclipse

I've been desperate for such a feature, as I know many others are. I'm on Spotify for music, I pay for premium, why am I forced to have my whole start screen clogged with podcasts which I have NEVER listened to and NEVER will listen to.

paliente

I've been listening to Spotify for years and this suggestion is great. I'm sick of opening Spotify only to have Joe Rogan experience recommended to me. I have not once listened to any podcast and would love to "Turn off podcast recommendations". It's such a great idea that has been conveniently ignored and swept under the carpet because "It didn't get 180 votes in 6 months". It's not like the idea is ground-breaking or new in any way shape or form. Netflix has the thumbs down vote option for things you don't like so how hard is it to implement it here?

Lift your game Spotify but as i'm only 1 person paying a measly $13 per month you will ignore this and every other post about it because "it didn't get 180 votes in 6 months".

Luan
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2022-01-19

Hey! Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.
We've been keeping an eye on this submission for an extended period of time, and it doesn't seem this will reach the votes necessary to put it forward for prioritization.
As such, we're marking this case as closed. This includes any similar suggestions that are received.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More information about it can be found here.

darrenmonahan

Disappointing. At what threshold does it become something worthwhile to your team? If we get enough votes, will this be reopened?

SlyOne

How is a machine learning algo going to learn when it gets things wrong, if you do not give the user a mechanism to tell it you don't like it's suggestion?