Announcements

[All Platforms][Browse] Remove "Remastered" tags from song titles

Not exactly an urgent issue, but please give us the option to remove the Remastered tags in song titles, there's no good reason to have it on every single song when the whole album is remastered. Either just put it in the album title or create an option to disable it altogether, whether it be for all users or just for premium. Thank you 🙂

Updated on 2021-01-11

Hey folks,

Thanks for writing about this and your detailed feedback so far 🙂 

After carefully looking into this, we confirmed that songs' titles are not under Spotify control (they are decided by the music/content's right holders). For this reason, we won't be able to look into this any further at the moment.

Feel free to submit an Idea again and make sure sure you follow the guidelines.

Cheers!

Comments
Status changed to: Need more information

Updated on 2021-01-04

Hey there,

Thanks for writing here in the Community 🙂

Would you mind sharing an example? Just to double-check the nature of the tags you're referring to. 

Asking since, if the tags are part of the song/album title, there are very high chances the same tags were included as part of the title when the song/album were uploaded to the platform. In this case, whether or not the tag is there would depend on the music's right-holders.

We'll look out for you reply. Keep us posted!

Regular

Here's an example: https://open.spotify.com/album/2WT1pbYjLJciAR26yMebkH?si=60P9yOhyS1-PDnAFa3HFRg

Not only every song has " - 2011 Remastered Version" appended to the title, the album title itself says "Remastered" twice.

Admittedly that is the right-holder's sloppy work but maybe some clean-up action might be advisable.

Status changed to: Need more information

Updated on 2021-01-05

Thanks for the comment @AdSR!

Would you and @jackriley1 say that this idea covers what you're suggesting?

If so, just let us know and feel free to add your +Vote to it. 

Looking forward to your reply.

Regular

Hi @Elena, that idea you linked looks like an extension to this one. It proposes adding the release year to the title after removing the "remastered" additions. Personally I'd prefer as little "title pollution" as possible but I upvoted it because it would still be less irritating.

Regular

Perhaps a remastered tag could be added to songs instead (keeping the year in the title). So you could just tell visually by a 'Remastered' graphic or something that would be shown in the detail. Many songs will continue to be remastered as time goes on so a tidy way to take care of this would be a good idea.

Casual Listener

I agree, I would prefer to see when the song was  released originally 

I share the sentiment that track titles become increasingly polluted. However, I think that completely removing "remastered" is a really bad idea – I often use this information to search tracks that have not been remastered. A tag / icon wouldn't help much either, as it wouldn't show the date of remastering.

Background information: I won't go into this, but as an audio engineer I find that many re-masters (especially between the late 1990s and 2015) sound much worse than the original masters. Google "loudness wars" for a gentle intro on that.

Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2021-01-11

Hey folks,

Thanks for writing about this and your detailed feedback so far 🙂 

After carefully looking into this, we confirmed that songs' titles are not under Spotify control (they are decided by the music/content's right holders). For this reason, we won't be able to look into this any further at the moment.

Feel free to submit an Idea again and make sure sure you follow the guidelines.

Cheers!