Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Cloud Files

Today we have 'Local files' that allow us to include, well, local files in our playlists etc. And this works well on my local machine. But as I have a home machine, work machine, my phone and my wife's phone these files are not available across them all. So I would love to see a 'Cloud files' feature. 

Cloud files would allow me to upload/sync my local music online (either to Spotifys own servers or using a 'hook' to Apple/Google/others) and then those files would be equaled to music provided by Spotify.

I would clearly pay extra for this option (30 NOK pr. month?). 

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we aren't able to prioritize it and don't have any immediate plans to implement this. We will let you know if this changes in the future.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.

Comments
bbaldovin

Would love to see this feature still. Like a lot of other people here, I have a lot of local music I have collected over the years and might need to switch services to google music to play them remotely without having to download my entire music library to my phone when I want to play it.

senordustin

This is another potential deal breaker as Google provides this feature.

alecwh22

The lack of this feature is stopping me from moving over to you from Google play music which lets me store music in the cloud and have it appear along side music from their library.

jacobbuckles

This feature needs to happen. 

nick-lucas

Please reconsider this feature! I'm considering a switch to Google Play, because I'm stuck halfway between my iTunes library and Spotify. If I could get all the obscure music I've collected over the years into Spotify then I could make the jump.

YvDelx

We are in 2018. Today we have all files in the cloud (whatever the supplier : Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Dropbox, ...).

We use it without realizing it. Spotify needs to take the train, the cloud is not an option today.

A cache system can done the job, a "good" streaming service from the cloud supplier is not necessary.

MadmanOnWheels

No, we would not clearly pay extra for this feature. Spotify and Google already work together to play Spotify on their products, and they both have cloud technology. Let them figure it out. We pay enough.

If we uploaded our local files to something, like Google Drive (but a special Spotify or general music service cloud), that Google has set up, then Spotify could make a way for us to select that cloud to pull those local files from, making those songs recognized by both parties. Then, Google Assistants, like Google Home could play local files in our playlists.

LadaSoukup

Ok... I switched today from Spotify to Apple Music just so I can upload my rare music to cloud and have it INTEGRATED with other music in one place... I should have switched a long time ago!

bye bye... Spotify...

Melody
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2018-10-04

Hey everyone.

We're back to update this idea, and confirm that right now we still don't have plans to offer local files in the cloud as part of our service. 

For the time being, you need to have local files available on the device on which you want to listen to music.

We'll update this thread if we have an update in the future. For more information on how to listen to local files, check out our guide here.

Thanks!

xalimar

@Melody Thanks for the update.  Sad to see the feature is not on your roadmap still.  I'll continue to send my business elsewhere, but I'm always watching this thread for updates if you ever change your mind.  Spotify is completely unusable on IoT devices without access to "local" music.