Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Cloud Files

Today we have 'Local files' that allow us to include, well, local files in our playlists etc. And this works well on my local machine. But as I have a home machine, work machine, my phone and my wife's phone these files are not available across them all. So I would love to see a 'Cloud files' feature. 

Cloud files would allow me to upload/sync my local music online (either to Spotifys own servers or using a 'hook' to Apple/Google/others) and then those files would be equaled to music provided by Spotify.

I would clearly pay extra for this option (30 NOK pr. month?). 

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we aren't able to prioritize it and don't have any immediate plans to implement this. We will let you know if this changes in the future.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.

Comments
chrisserger

So disappointing. And it conflicts with the whole idea of a cloud-based streaming service. Google Play Music offers this and they've already confirmed YouTube Music will, too. Guess I'm sticking with Google.

n2it

Thanks for the update.  I really do appreciate it.  Just not the news I was looking for.

I have been enjoying Apple Music with all of my unmatched music in the cloud for quite some time.  It is getting better with more platforms - they actually support Android Auto now.  Spotify still has much better support with Amazon (echos and firetv) then Apple - but this one issue is still the deal breaker.  

Adding this would probably be the only thing that would get me to switch back.   I don't mind paying a little extra money for it. Or I don't mind if you partner with someone to provide.  

alecwh22
This is terrible news and a fantastically short sighted and narrow minded move that hamstrings Spotify Vs it's competition. I hope you reconsider the backward decision.
hootchietoad

Paid for a year last December and will decide soon if I will re-up or switch to Apple Music.

PhilipSmithJ

Google Music allows it. So does Groove...and plex. Spotify should partner with onedrive to make this a thing.

ardacebi

I switched from Apple Music back to Spotify and this is the only option I want, I have local files which Spotify doesn’t have and want to listen and store them on Spotify.

xenokira

This is the only missing Spotify feature that prevents me from switching from Google Play Music. I have some music that just isn't available on any streaming service (local artists, mostly) and considering I use Google Cast very often for listening to music around my home, Spotify's "local files on the device" solution just does not work for me. Ideally, music from my uploaded private collection could be mixed in the same playlists as music from Spotify, making a seamless experience, regardless of where the music orginated.

ma7mgte

Technically, Spotify already has a releationship with Microsoft (Groove), would think OneDrive (or Google Cloud) integration would be a no brainer.  It's 2019 guys...

chandwki

All spotify needs to do is let me point to a drop box with my personal music and stream it! That's it!

This is the reason I'm switching back to google play music as much as I don't want to. It's so frustrating when you guys are missing my favorite song from an artist and, with all the devices I have, keeping local copies is NOT an option.

When was the last time spotify even released a new feature? Do you have any engineers or are you just coasting over there? There are a bunch of fantastic requests on the community board and they all get a, "I dunno lol maybe" response from spotify.

This is why I hate closed source software! I could just implement this feature instead of waiting for it to never happen. Google Play figured it out why can't Spotify!

dansebr

This is the ONLY thing that’s keeping me from getting a Family Premium account with Spotify and I keep coming back to see if they’re changed their minds. It is a real deal breaker for me not being able to add my own personal music to my library and Local files are in no way a replacement for this, Google and Apple provide this service but I would prefer Spotify many times over. I’ll keep waiting until maybe one day they do.