Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Connect] Listen to local files on all platforms

This isn't a new idea, in fact many other users have previously voiced their interest in having the ability to play their whole music collection (including local files) on their favourite platforms.

You see; Spotify isn't just a collection of tracks, it's many people's preferred service for not only finding great music, but also getting the most out of the listening experience.

Spotify's Connect technology already allows us to listen on a vast array of devices, and encourages developers to build functionality into their products.

I love that such technology exists, it makes listening to my favourite music through my TV/AV receiver possible, but I feel that this could be improved by allowing local file streaming in addition.

Updated on 2023-09-11

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and showing your support for this idea.

We're setting this idea to Not Right Now as we don't have any immediate plans to implement it. If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Take care.

Comments
TheIgster

Just came back to Spotify from YouTube Music.  This is a HUGE missing feature as my wife and I have many tracks that we can't find on Spotify but have added locally to our playlists.  In fact, this may make us simply leave Spotify again for another service.

mikm27

I finally gave up on Spotify because it doesn't have this feature. In fairness, it looks like there are no music streaming services that provide the ability to store and play music that you own. So now I'm using the less expensive Pandora for streaming and then for my own music I use:

- "AutoSync for Android" to sync music to my phone 

- "Hi-Fi Cast" to play music stored on my phone (I'm sure there are other great music players)

So far so good.

5uperpants

From a marketing perspective here's what I would do....have a premium service for between £13-£15 a month and include higher than 320 kbps and additional cloud storage to allow for local file streaming. I'm considering moving from Spotify to an audiophile streaming service such as tidal or even Amazon HD, this move might make me stay.

pseudomexicano

TrapMusicLondon said: "For this idea to work Spotify would have to create a cloud where they store all the local data."

Not true.

We stream our entire local music library with Plex. The Plex app allows for some sort of "VPN" type connection that provides access to my local library at home as long as I am logged into the same account - from anywhere in the world. Plex is not hosting my music on their servers like Google Music did... Plex streams those files directly from your PC or NAS (wherever you have Plex server installed). This isn't new technology.

This seems like a no brainer that would capture more market share from services like Plex and YouTube (Google) Music... Services that have this exact thing... their own licensed music and the ability to access private audio files from anywhere.

I have resisted Spotify for a long time because I prefer my own music collection to Spotify's curated music (I have thousands of songs you can't find on Spotify). However, I would jump to Spotify in an instant if it allowed me to ditch Plex (which is not great - YouTube Music = even worse). The ability to access my own music as well as Spotify's curated music would be the holy grail for me.

KFahey

I am surprised this issue doesn't have more attention.  I listen to the majority of my music through my TV/Speaker setup!!

pfurse

Just allow the console apps to download content like any other device in the local Spotify database. No cloud needed.... Storage is on me.

inetbas

I have a reasonable amount of local purchased music which is simply not available in the Spotify library.  Of course Spotify is  as all the other streaming services focusing on English language based music and English mainstream artists.  So music from less knowing languages like Dutch/Flemish is very limited available on most of these platforms. Being able to stream from the same application your local songlist to chromecast connected av-receivers would be key. I am disappointed by this lacking functionality. I.e. I need to use another app like Synology DS audio to play these songs. But that doesn’t allow to make a great mixed playlist.

jan34lol

Hören der lokalen Dateien auf der Amazon Alexa

Jacob
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2021-05-20

Thank you for bringing your feedback to the Spotify Community!

Your suggestion didn’t quite reach 500 votes in 18 months. You can read more about the idea process here.

Kiwicoso

This isn't a new idea, in fact many other users have previously voiced their interest in having the ability to play their whole music collection (including local files) on their favourite platforms.

You see; Spotify isn't just a collection of tracks, it's many people's preferred service for not only finding great music, but also getting the most out of the listening experience.

Spotify's Connect technology already allows us to listen on a vast array of devices, and encourages developers to build functionality into their products.

I love that such technology exists, it makes listening to my favourite music through my TV/AV receiver possible, but I feel that this could be improved by allowing local file streaming in addition.