Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Connect] Listen to local files on all platforms

This isn't a new idea, in fact many other users have previously voiced their interest in having the ability to play their whole music collection (including local files) on their favourite platforms.

You see; Spotify isn't just a collection of tracks, it's many people's preferred service for not only finding great music, but also getting the most out of the listening experience.

Spotify's Connect technology already allows us to listen on a vast array of devices, and encourages developers to build functionality into their products.

I love that such technology exists, it makes listening to my favourite music through my TV/AV receiver possible, but I feel that this could be improved by allowing local file streaming in addition.

Updated on 2023-09-11

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and showing your support for this idea.

We're setting this idea to Not Right Now as we don't have any immediate plans to implement it. If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Take care.

Comments
yeltommo

The inability to upload files is really a terrible limitation, as there's so much obscure and semi-obscure music that Spotify does not have. Why don't you folks take away that key advantage of competitors. Apple Music and YouTube Music subscribers would flock to you in droves.

inetbas

I agree again... not fortunate the idea is put in the bin by Spotify.

hideousman

Are we supposed to keep liking/commenting on this even though it's closed? Or create a new idea that's exactly the same? 

inetbas

I posted idea’s. They get binned quickly, Spotify on the majority doesn’t care.  If Spotify can’t figure out what their user base likes and wants… you are on a dead end submitting, resubmitting ideas or suggestions.  I gave up on doing that after my last try.  The moment I have sorted out the big tech interlock issue. Hence between Apple devices we have and Chromecast, android TV. For which I need a simple nontechnical savvy solution. So my family members can handle it too. Then I am gone…. I am for the rest done with Spotify. Also I want a music centric platform/App and  not something for podcast’s. I am totally not into podcasting . Apple uses i.e. separate apps, a better approach.

abjecttestament

Should be re-opened. Really wild that I can't have local files on a device (Nvidia Shield) that never leaves my living room.

Benjaminuski

Why can’t this idea be resubmitted/reopened? It’s clear a lot of people would agree with it - surely more than when this was submitted over 2,5 years ago.

Novy
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2022-09-15

Hey folks! Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've been keeping an eye on this submission for an extended period of time, and it doesn't seem this will reach the votes necessary to put it forward for prioritization. As such, we're marking this case as closed. This includes any similar suggestions that are received.

This doesn't mean that you idea has been declined by Spotify. If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More information about it can be found here

Thanks for your understanding. 

neco222

I think this is a much needed idea.
Who wouldn't want this feature?
more people are happy

neco222

It would be nice to be able to upload high-resolution files such as LDAC and FLAC.
Do not cap file size.
Always the highest quality sound quality

neco222

How many supporters must there be?

How many people do we need to reopen?

Also, isn't it still being considered?