Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Connect] Listen to local files on all platforms

This isn't a new idea, in fact many other users have previously voiced their interest in having the ability to play their whole music collection (including local files) on their favourite platforms.

You see; Spotify isn't just a collection of tracks, it's many people's preferred service for not only finding great music, but also getting the most out of the listening experience.

Spotify's Connect technology already allows us to listen on a vast array of devices, and encourages developers to build functionality into their products.

I love that such technology exists, it makes listening to my favourite music through my TV/AV receiver possible, but I feel that this could be improved by allowing local file streaming in addition.

Updated on 2023-09-11

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and showing your support for this idea.

We're setting this idea to Not Right Now as we don't have any immediate plans to implement it. If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Take care.

Comments
limpstar

This idea has been brought up at least twice (here and here). Unfortunately cases closed without resolution.

It would be so nice to be able to stream local files to wifi speakers, please guys help bring this feature to life :))))

csimi

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be technically possible to add the ability to cast local files. The fact that the song is not uploaded to Spotify servers shouldn't necessarily mean that a local file cannot be casted to another device.

Thank you

Plazmex8

At this point, Spotify doesn't care about their loyal customers... We've been asking for this for at least 10 years, but this get binned because the developers simply don't want to implement it, they think podcasts and books are more important to us 🤦 

neco222

Should open again. Hard to find when closed. This is groundbreaking. There is absolutely no one who has trouble implementing it.

neco222

This should spread on sns.

Yordan
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2023-09-11

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and showing your support for this idea.

We're setting this idea to Not Right Now as we don't have any immediate plans to implement it. If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Take care.

GDL232

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Macbook Pro 2020, LG smart TV

Operating System

MacOS Ventura

My Question or Issue

When I set up my spotify account years ago I imported my old playlists from iTunes and I can still play them on my Macbook, no problem. I've recently got a new LG TV and use spotify on it, no problem. On the TV, I can play the playlists I created in spotify, no problem. I can see my old iTunes playlists sitting there (within spotify on the TV) but when I open them they're empty. Problem! Can anyone help?

tahoewake

I fully appreciate that there is a prioritization framework that keeps this functionality buried in the backlog, but what may not show up as a direct correlation in your churn reporting is that this feature gap is a "gateway" issue.  I hate Apple Music, but for a collection of local files that I'm unable to stream to my Sonos speakers throughout the house, I've started using Apple Music more and more.  I have a free subscription as part of my Verizon plan so I've noticed I'm not about 50/50 in terms of my defection-from-Spotify transition.  I LOVE Spotify, but this issue drives me toward adopting Apple Music more and more b/c it's playing nicer with my wifi streaming of ANYTHING I want to listen to.  3+ years in the backlog tells me it'll never get done