Announcements

[All Platforms] DLNA Support

I would be so great to have DLNA support in Spotify, both in the desktop and mobile versions.

There should be a simple "Play To" feature so music can be played on the living room stereo and controlled from a mobile device without the use of a combination of desktop computer, JamCast, 2Player, WD TV live box ect.

It could be combined with AirPlay support, but I'm using a Windows/Android setup myself.

Hope people (and Spotify) will support this feature soon - it would really take Spotify to the next level at home!

Updated on 2017-11-02

Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this thread. We really appreciate it. In the interest of full disclosure, we’d like to share with you the status of this request.

We don’t have any plans to implement DLNA support in Spotify. Instead, we’re going to develop and improve our current Spotify Connect feature, which allows you to play Spotify through your speakers, laptop, or TV using the Spotify app as a remote. For more information, check out Spotify Connect.

For this reason we’re going to mark this idea as ‘Case Closed’ We really appreciate your feedback on this.

Comments

Okay, so this is the third idea that I have liked and the third that is labeled "not right now" ... what gives?

So far, not a single one of the ideas you are actively working on interests me. The music is fine; I don't need 20 more ways to discover something new.

What I need far more then anything else is for Spotify to work with the hardware I have in my house: Roku, Vizio smart TVs, DLNA Speakers, etc.

Sure, I guess if you wait long enough the problem goes away as my equipment dies and gets replaced. But that isn't happening for a very long time. I will change music services before I replace perfectly good speakers and TVs.

And, yes, I understand that you have a Roku app. But it is HORRIBLE. So bad that I works never ever consider using it. I love the way the Android app works with Google Cast, but I only have one device with this feature and I'm usually using it to watch TV, not listen to music.

Get serious about supporting a wide variety of hardware or someone else will and take all your subscribers in the process.

Casual Listener

Why I'm not using Spotify at home?
Well, I had 100s of CDs that I ripped into MP3 and are sitting in a DLNA server

My phone with a very basic upnp client is able to send that music to any DLNA rendered at home

So, I use Spotify to listen online music,, as soon I want to listen something from my collection, I switch to another application... and then I don't use Spotify any more...
Will I pay for a premium account? yes, If the application I'm paying for fits all my needs and I don't have to swict from one aplication to another one to listen to my private music collection

If you wonder why I keep a private collection, not 100% of the music I listen is available online, and I'm ok with that. as far I have a single app that takes care of my online subscription, and my personal collection

As a subscriber, i find it extremely frustrating that i can't use Spotify as best suited to my whole-home media setup.  DLNA support would mean i could really unleash spotify in my house (where i have Xbox Ones in all of the media spaces), without having to have some proprietary additional device like a PS4 everywhere. 

As it is, i only maintain my Spotify subscription for the weekly playlists that help me discover music, but i can't listen in all of the places i would like.  I consider cancelling often as a result and may not stay long-term unless this changes.

Please follow the rest of the world and add DLNA support rather than your shoddy Spotify Connect.  Thank you!

This is an incredible situation to cannot use my main (and expensive) audio system with my spotif premium account. Why do you block the possibility to play your streaming services through upnp/dlna devices with a premium account? Qobuz allow that with bubble upnp aplication...

Stopp stalling, Spotify! I'm not buying a crappy soundsystem from Sonos or whatever just to get DLNA! My whole audiosystem bases itself on DLNA, and I can legally buy music and stream it. Why is it a problem with Spotify? People can wirelessly steal my tracks when I have bought them anyway. If I want to save Spotify songs, I can just download one of 20+ apps to do so. Not that I want to waste space on crappy 320kb/s songs anyway.

I am also not reinstating my premium subscription until the windows app supports DLNA (or web site doesn't block it)  and not just the proprietary casting garbage that no one has!!

PEACE OUT!!!!!

Sorry Spotify,

at the moment, I still use Tidal which also does not have UPNP/DLNA support but is available through BubbleUPNP.

See you next time when you support these technologies.

Regular

I have a new Pioneer Blu-ray player with the unusual combination of DLNA and RCA audio out. This means I can stream from other apps to my ancient but wonderful Denon amp. Sadly the BD player is not on the Spotify Connect list, though 😞 I would love this!

Spotify
Spotify
Status changed to: Not Right Now
Updated: 2017-02-14

Hey folks, we still don't have plans to implement DLNA support in Spotify. 

For info on how you can play Spotify through your speakers, laptop or TV using the Spotify app as a remote, visit the Spotify Connect site here. Thanks everyone!

Then why don't you expand the Spotify app to other platforms? Having PS4 exclusivity for consoles is ridiculous.