[All Platforms] DLNA Support

I would be so great to have DLNA support in Spotify, both in the desktop and mobile versions.

There should be a simple "Play To" feature so music can be played on the living room stereo and controlled from a mobile device without the use of a combination of desktop computer, JamCast, 2Player, WD TV live box ect.

It could be combined with AirPlay support, but I'm using a Windows/Android setup myself.

Hope people (and Spotify) will support this feature soon - it would really take Spotify to the next level at home!

Updated on 2017-11-02

Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this thread. We really appreciate it. In the interest of full disclosure, we’d like to share with you the status of this request.

We don’t have any plans to implement DLNA support in Spotify. Instead, we’re going to develop and improve our current Spotify Connect feature, which allows you to play Spotify through your speakers, laptop, or TV using the Spotify app as a remote. For more information, check out Spotify Connect.

For this reason we’re going to mark this idea as ‘Case Closed’ We really appreciate your feedback on this.

Comments

I'm happy to pay a premium subscription to have DLNA streaming at least from the mobile application on Android. Desktop wouldn't be crucial for me, as I'd prefer to play it directly from an Android phone/tablet rather than open up the laptop and I can understand if this feature is not added to the desktop for security reasons.

I would love to have DLNA support....I.m a premium user but without this support I think I will reconsider the option on the market and probably switch to other services like Zune music pass (I.m uinf a windows phone)

I had an email exchange with Pandora yesterday and asked them to consider DLNA as well.  As some of you have commented, the first to support DLNA (hopefully multiple devices) will be the one I subscribe to and use.  

I would definetly like it if i could just select a UPNP renderer/player from the spotify android/windows application, and play my songs!

Signed up just to give support to this feature.

+1 requesting this feature. It works wonderfully with Windows Media Player but all my music is in Spotfiy!

I am looking forward to this feauture. There is nooo way around it that I can find.

Like buying Sonos which has a license to integrate spotify

+1 It would be great with dlna support

I'm very interested in testing and feedback for my prototype DLNA/UPnP media server (that is using libspotify). I've had to take the source code offline for some time due to legal issues with my employer, but now it's fully back:

http://gitorious.org/spotifyd

Just to warn you upfront: to try it out you need a Linux (or *BSD) installation, you need an application key and you need to know your way around command line, and tools such as git and make. The full instructions are available from the links below :

https://gitorious.org/spotifyd/spotify-upnp-mediaserver/blobs/master/README
https://gitorious.org/spotifyd/spotifyd/blobs/master/README

And here's the summary:

What is spotify-upnp-mediaserver?
================================

Spotify-upnp-mediaserver is a daemon that provides a Rygel-compatible media
hierarchy from Spotify music streaming service that Rygel exports to the local
network as a UPnP Media Server. Put together, Rygel and spotify-upnp-mediaserver
provide access to musical content provided by Spotify service to UPnP/DLNA media
players, renderers and control points.

Currently, spotify-upnp-mediaserver is a proof-of-concept prototype for testing
and feedback. It exports only a small set of its developer's favourite music,
and while playback works, seeking during playback does not. However, full
support for playlists, search and other features should not be very difficult to
add.

Playing music
=============

Start up any UPnP AV control point or media player with UPnP support, and you
should see the spotify media server in the top level list of servers. Underneath
there is a small amount of music tracks - select any, direct it to a UPnP
renderer if necessary and it should just play.

I am desperately waiting for DLNA support on spotify, so I could stream music from my PC to my Onkyo TX-NR1007 receiver