Announcements
It looks like all’s running smoothly again! Get more info over here

[All Platforms][Discover] Album notes

These days that vinyl albums have made a return, I guess that so have album notes, i.e. a description or narrative, along with artist credits, published with the physical disc or CD. Could these be included in Spotify? 

This subject has not been brought up for about 5 years, but I wonder if, now, it would be technically easier to achieve.

I appreciate the album art, enjoy reading the artist biographies and I notice that individual track credits, though sparse, are now available. Perhaps it is time to take the accompanying narrative to the music a step further?

The sort of things typically covered, in addition to composition credits, are names of the individual musicians, song lyrics and additional writing by, or approved by, the artist. Extracts from the Dob Dylan album Desire attached.

20200423_043907.jpg
20200423_043839.jpg

Updated on 2021-03-23

Thank you for bringing your feedback to the Spotify Community!

Your suggestion didn’t quite reach 180 votes in 6 months. Users can still vote on this idea - if it gets enough votes, Spotify will still check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

Comments
osornios
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-04-27

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

Please check this related Idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Other-Musician-Engineer-Credits-should-be-Mandatory-Befo...

macdonaldp
Casual Listener

Yes, please!!! It is so annoying to have lost the information, and we are losing a major part of our musical culture. Liner notes provide an important function in documenting the development of projects, as well as crediting important people, like recording engineers, producers, etc. This will not be difficult for Spotify to implement, especially given their vast resources. Come on Spotify, give artists what they deserve!

patrickgilmour
Regular

I've noticed a lot of Album notes are now appearing in Apple Music as "Editor's Notes" . I'd really appreciate seeing the same in Spotify:

Detail of NotesDetail of NotesEditor's NotesEditor's Notes

TGIMom

Engineer credits is not the same as liner notes or a digital booklet! I've been worrying for this for a while and didn't know this community place for suggestions even existed! I'm sure there are mint more listeners who want this but don't know that need to vote for it! Please just implement it already! 

Familjenahl

I am a Swede and really hope Spotify will fix this as it is a swedish company. 

But the moment Apple fix this I will change to Apple Music. Spotify is making soo much money for them selves and a LOT of people in this company is making so much money you cant believe it and they pay less money/per song to the artists compared to Apple. 

AadityakiranS
Gig Goer

Yeah this is something that should be added. I think other services like Apple music and Tidal already have this. The experience on Spotify should be like you're buying a record and listening to it. It shouldn't be any different. This is an absolutely essential feature. All possible information that you might have gotten with a physical copy purchase should be included in this. Additional information such as where this song or album came from or what is the history behind it and all would also be useful. 

Jacob
Community Legend
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2021-03-23

Thank you for bringing your feedback to the Spotify Community!

Your suggestion didn’t quite reach 180 votes in 6 months. Users can still vote on this idea - if it gets enough votes, Spotify will still check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

Carolinab1
Visitor

I would like to be able to read album covers while listening to music. Growing up my friends and I enjoyed reading lyrics, reading who the accompanying musicians were, who wrote the songs, and other information such as messages from the artist. If you could click through to the album cover while listener get that would be cool.

wr7tvw38dyvawo

When listening to music, one often wants to check some further content. Almost every CD you purchase has some basic level of meta-information that is nowhere to be found in Spotify. So currently if you want to check some facts, you need to go to the internet and read about the song. I wonder why such functionality is not integrated by default in the application - it does not seem a very complicated thing to do. 

dfigueroa87
Visitor

Have a section on each album where the artists or whoever manages the content can include a brief description of the album, as it happens with the information about the artist already. 

Could be a really interesting way to understand things better in certain cases.