[All Platforms][Discover] Disable Commentary Tracks

Some bands and artists post commentary versions of their songs/albums which is fine for those that are interested. But it makes for a bad listening experience if I just want to shuffle an artist's song list and a bunch of commentary versions come up. Having to create a Playlist with everything but the commentary versions seems like an awkward workaround because most times I don't want that as a playlist…

Some example artists are "Avett Brothers" and "Jack Johnson".

Another usecase would be when an artist has multiple versions of a song (if a band has a "Best of…" album for example). It'd be good if you could just disable any "duplicates" and just have the version you like most play in the cycle. I used to do this with iTunes.

I understand there has to be a reason for this. There was a similar idea posted which is now closed but I still think something like this is worth considering. I hope this provides a little more context to why it's valuable.

Updated on 2019-12-24

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active and recent ideas in this forum, we will have to close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been rejected by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request I encourage you to post your idea again in a slightly different form! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of the community for your suggestion!

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2018-12-25

Nice idea! Marked as a new idea and edited the title slightly to make it easier to find via search 🙂

(This is a repost of the following inactive idea: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Music-Opt-out-of-Commentary-Tracks/idi-p/1152443)

Casual Listener

More context to the "duplicate tracks" point: Today I just wanted to shuffle through "The Strokes" and the number of times I heard this song was ridiculous. Great song, but I don't want to hear it several times instead of hearing others. And again, I don't want to create a separate playlist to workaround it (if I had to do that every time I wanted to listen to a band, I'd have a heap of one-off playlists……)

duplicate-tracks.jpeg

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated on 2019-12-24

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active and recent ideas in this forum, we will have to close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been rejected by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request I encourage you to post your idea again in a slightly different form! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of the community for your suggestion!

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!