[All Platforms][Discover] Song suggested by lyrics theme

Spotify... tries. Tries to suggest "new" music to me.

And then there are the suggested playlists. "Good morning", "Party Night", and the like.

In the beginning, I loved it.

However, a lot of the "new" music is not new to me anymore.
A lot of the Suggested Playlists - if not all - also seem genre based, not mood based, despite the misleading titles.

A lot of the music in my library is in the genre "pop". I understand this can be a bit confusing, but I didn't choose half of it because I thought of it as "pop" music.

Many of those songs were chosen because I loved the lyrics. I loved how the rhytm of the words hit the beat and the rhytm of the instruments. I enjoy them because they're clever or because they're not about love, **bleep**, and heartbreak. I listen to lyrics. Love, **bleep**, and heartbreak are ok - 15% of the time. Not 20 songs in a row.

(Yes, I am talking about my personal taste at this point.)

I realize Spotify hasn't invested a lot in lyrics.

They even recommend subscribing to a good neighbour service in order to read not only the lyrics of each song, but all the gossip and good stories surrounding, as well.

First of all, that good neighbour does not cover half the lyrics I love.

Second of all, I'm a student of limited funds. I'm gonna pass on that double spending.

Truth be told, I can google the lyrics. If I love them, I copy paste them onto a note on my phone, within easy reach - at least while the list is short.

However, it does occur to me that perhaps Spotify's Suggested Songs to me might improve a bit once they realize the reason I dislike half the Suggestions they give me is because a) it's the 20th love/**bleep**/heartbreak song in a row, b) it's full of slurs I don't care to learn, or c) my Good Morning does not include accounts of abuse and my Party Night does not include santa claus or "break that **bleep**".

This might be easier to understand and take into consideration if 1) lyrics were a part of the song package and 2) the themes of those lyrics were incorporated into the Song Suggestion matrix.

I realise this is one of those little things which require a tonne of work.

I realise it might take a lot of time, even if you do agree.

But I miss having lyrics, the way you could read them on that cover paper after buying a new CD, and I miss getting suggestions I actually want.

"Pop" is short for "popular music", and therefore, depending on the era, includes dozens of sub-genres. What I love is actually "New Wave", what The Sims 3: Supernatural calls "Dark Wave", what my father calls "Happy Pop", "British Punk", "Goth Punk", "Glam Rock", synthezisers, heavy bass, that one line you never forget, and lyrics hitting the beat with precision, as in "7 years" by Lukas Graham, "The Girl and the Clockwork Dragon" by the Cog is Dead, "Toxic" by Britney Spears, "Cell Block Tango" by the Cast of Chicago, "Kicks" by Au/Ra, and "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen, several of which are probably categorized "Pop".

I also enjoy a lot of cinematic soundtracks, especially while studying.

This also makes Spotify's Suggested Songs for me a little weird.

My Discover Weekly this week includes Background music for Tokyo Love Story by Kento Ohgiya, followed by "Nokia 105" by TØFL, followed by a live version of anime music? Earlier in the same list; "Evergreen" by Pekoe.

All of it rather sleep inducing, when it comes in a row like that, and pretty different  in the lyrical aspect.

And sleep inducing really are the key words for most of the Suggestions Spotify gives me, when they're not downright disturbing in the choices of lyrics, like half the songs in the Playlists Suggested. "Luca" in the morning? Guys, I have this thing called sympathy, and that wakes up first.

I don't know. Maybe I'm grasping at straws. Maybe I'm asking for the impossible. Maybe rummaging through movie credits, looking for that pancake scene song in "Matilda", or asking my friends what they listen to or asking my dad what that da-di-da-di-daa song is called is the best I can hope for. Maybe.

But this is the era of information technology and taste analysis. Maybe something can be done. Maybe something can be improved. Here I am, asking, just in case.

Please add an analysis function to your Suggestions background analysis process which analyses the theme of the lyrics of the songs.

If you could also make the lyrics visible to the user, that would be an awesome bonus, but improved Suggestions is my main focus here.

P.S. I am an adult. "Discovery Channel" was part of my pre-teens. That is a clever song. I like it. The downright disturbing I am talking about is more like 1) themes of abuse on a "Good Morning" or "Energetic Morning" list, 2) songs made up of pointless cusswords on the You Might Enjoy lists, even after Disliking several of them, and 3) "Blurred Lines" as a Party Night song. Something is wrong with these Suggestions, and I'm placing my bet on a lack of reflection on the lyrics of these songs, as it seems like a common theme.

Updated on 2019-12-06

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will have to close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been rejected by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea again, in a slightly different form! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of the community for your suggestion!;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Rock Star 17
Rock Star 17
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2019-03-20

Marked as a new idea 🙂

Rock Star 15
Rock Star 15
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Updated on 2019-12-06

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (100 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will have to close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been rejected by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea again, in a slightly different form! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of the community for your suggestion!;)

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!