[All Platforms] Improve how Spotify treats audiobooks

I love audiobooks on Spotify. Unfortunately, they are currently accessed in very similar ways to regular music. They are organized in albums, there is an option to shuffle and there is no way of knowing where you stopped when you want to come back to a book.

Podcasts on the other hand, show you which episodes you've already listened to and the buttons Shuffle and Repeat have been replaced by "Skip 15 seconds". Those features would be great for audiobooks.

The change should be fairly easy to implement, since all the features are already in Spotify.

Update: This idea was reposted here.

Updated on 2019-01-03

Hey!

Your idea was submitted a while ago and unfortunately didn't receive the amount of kudos needed to stay active in the ideas board (100 Kudos per year). 

In order to keep the Ideas Exchange clearer I'll close this idea for now, but this doesn't mean Spotify rejected this idea.

If you think this is an idea which needs to be implemented, you're welcome to post it in slightly different again :)

Have a nice day!

Luke

Comments
ianrie

agree

rugata
Casual Listener

So,

after waiting a long for this addon, nothing has changed. There are so many comments and suggestions that this feature is really needed when you like to hear audiobook and music seperated! Why don`t you want to improve your program. Why you even close some of the Comments just beacuse they don't got the votes... In my opinion this kind of feature is essential for hearing audiobooks. There should not be a bunch of users who remind you every few monthe the last 3 Years that this is something everybody would use... I mean you already made something like this for podcasts.
I have really problems when i switched from my songs to my current audiobook with 700 files. How should I know where I was when i stopped, when I often cannot see the titlenumber of the current track because the title is that long...

I will post this on every comment I will find, with the hope you would read this. A lot of users have the dame problems, but the most don't use the spotify community (please just keep that in mind!).

Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2018-04-05

Marked as new idea. This is a repost of the following inactive idea.

ranosch
Casual Listener

Hello blake,

I disagree with your assessment. The idea you linked is about a section for audiobooks, whereas my idea is primarily about the controls.

Cheers,

Niels

StanDaMan0505
Casual Listener

Haha.. New idea... That idea is not really new, but spotify just ignored the other requests so far

Dustoff74

Wrote Spotify the same idea via email, just yesterday. They suggested I should use this forum where I found your post. All true and this would be great. In its current state, audiobooks are not really enjoyable. They are different from audio albums and should be treated this way. A whole audiobook section, apart from music should work best. With book-specific search options, like language, genre, length, etc. 

murpsel
Gig Goer

Fully agreed. Really - what's with shuffle and books? :D

There's also another thread with a focus on keeping the position in the audio, based on a long running request for this:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Audiobooks-Bookmark-Audio-Books/idc-p/4613289

Please upvote to get more attention to this issue!

Rock Star 17
Rock Star 17
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Update: This idea was reposted here.

Updated on 2019-01-03

Hey!

Your idea was submitted a while ago and unfortunately didn't receive the amount of kudos needed to stay active in the ideas board (100 Kudos per year). 

In order to keep the Ideas Exchange clearer I'll close this idea for now, but this doesn't mean Spotify rejected this idea.

If you think this is an idea which needs to be implemented, you're welcome to post it in slightly different again :)

Have a nice day!

Luke