[All Platforms][Other] Ability to select a country in my profile different from the one I reside in.

Currently Spotify - and the advertisement language - defaults to the country I reside in and doesn't give me any choice to keep receiving content from my country of origin. For every expatriate, foreign exchange student, foreign worker, people on vacation etc., this is just annoying.

Whether or not someone would like to listen to the local music is up to personal taste, but I think it's true for almost every non-native person that any sort of advertisement, any offer from a country they temporarily reside in is completely irrelevant for them, so not only is the advertisement mistargeted, it might not even be understood at all, if said non-native person doesn't speak the local language.

I speak four languages, only one of them is native to the countries I visited the last 15 years, and that means I've been frequenting five different countries where Spotify advertisements made absolutely no sense to me, and "gibberish" interrupting my playlist has gotten so annoying, I do not use Spotify anymore when I'm abroad.

Yea, sure, I could pay for premium to make them go away, but the issue here is that you have an advertisement system that isn't always reaching the appropriate target group, and I would think that's something in your interest to change.

Updated on 2019-07-26

Hey @1355970,

Thanks for bringing this idea to the Community :)

There's a similar idea that's already been suggested here - make sure to add your vote to it!

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Thanks! Stay awesome :)

0 Likes
Comments
Status changed to: Need more information

Updated on 2019-07-25

Hey @1355970,

There's a similar idea that's already been suggested here.

Just to confirm, does your idea refer specifically to ads, or is it more general than that?

We'll be looking out for your reply :)

Casual Listener

Hello @Peter,

I tried searching a number of ways for what I was about to suggest before suggesting it, I haven't seen that submission, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Yes, that formerly submitted suggestion seems to include part of my suggestion, whereas I feel mine gives a broader view of the issue, and therefore is more general. I pointed out how many different people and in what way are affected (or not affected in case of advertisements, including banners) by content they receive from the country they currently reside in if it's not their home country, if they probably don't even speak the language, and I feel I've given a more complete picture why it's better to allow setting a country of origin through which Spotify would treat users as if they're being there. I wouldn't have made an entirely new suggestion if I would've seen the one you linked first, but I certainly would've submitted the very same comment, using the very same arguments. To be able to "keep getting suggestions from the country where I am actually from" is just a small part of this whole issue I was trying to describe - the issue at hand being the entire Spotify experience in its whole when traveling or living abroad -, which was mainly focused on, but not limited to advertisements. And people hate advertisements, and I've spoken way too much about them, that's probably why I haven't got any votes yet. :)

If you feel like these two suggestions are too similar, go ahead and do what you normally do with duplicates, but I think my submission tackles a broader picture.

Hey @1355970,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We're going to mark this as a duplicate idea, since the other idea already covers the broader scenario that you referred to in your reply.

If you would like to focus your idea purely on the localisation of ads on Spotify, then we suggest you create a new idea and emphasise that this is distinct from the more general idea.

Hope that makes sense! Let us know if you have any other questions about this :)

Status changed to: Duplicate

Updated on 2019-07-26

Hey @1355970,

There's a similar idea that's already been suggested here - make sure to add your vote to it!

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Thanks! Stay awesome :)