[All Platforms][Other] Let people assign a button on (e.g. PC) keyboards to like/dislike audio.

Dear Spotify team,

I want to be able to assign a hotkey on my keyboard to like or dislike any Spotify audio.

I'm using standard media hotkeys already for louder/stop/next song etc. - so why doesn't this work for one of the key features of Spotify: To like/dislike audio to train one's recommendation AI assistant.

Right now, users aren't really enabled to train their AI assistant. That's a huge flaw because Spotify's competitive position and business model depends on exactly that. You are my music concierge service and I want to lock in myself as a customer in exchange that your ability to select good music increases over my lifetime. We both can do better, if you make it seamless to like/dislike music.

Inversed, if your recommendation AI is hard to train via liking/disliking because I can't even do that via hotkeys, - why shouldn't I go to a music streaming platform that has that feature?

Further, if you really think about it, any great product is associated with a certain gesture. Think about how haptic Instagram or Tinder nowadays feel. It's a pretty high standard. Does Spotify live up to those peers? Not really. Please don't rest on your laurels just because you're relatively better than most music apps.

Spotify's system to like/dislike lacks style, taste and feels sterile compared to Tinder's "swipe" or Instagram's double-tap.
Your liking system also feels super linear. It's super boring. Takes huge effort. This is not customer centric.
Without a distinct personal Spotify like/dislike gesture, you won't find great success over Apple/Youtube Music/Amazon Music because you don't feel distinct.

Making it easier to like things would increase user retention & coolness. A product with better haptic feels more humane for users, too. It's much more fun if it's easy to like/dislike things. You have to realize the following part of your own business:
Users incresingly want to train their personal music recommendation AI concierce service. Helping your users to achieve that seems mission critical to me and improving your liking systems seems like a big easy, no-risk, no-cost lever to help your users.

My personal nerdy dream of mine would be nothing else than a distinct Spotify like/dislike button on my keyboard. Yes, I'm a hardcore PC user so I can only recommend that you come up with a mobile solutions yourself. I have no idea if one can already tell Alexa: "Alexa, like that song" but of course this should exist, too. But for me, I simply want my like-hotkey on my keyboard.

In fact, if I could choose between two colorful mechanical keyboards for the same price, one with a Spotify like button and one without one, I'd love to buy the one that has this distinct Spotify like button already built in. Could be a fine little idea for cheap customer acquisition, too. Imagine making deals with gaming companies & keyboard companies to implement such a like button. Apple couldn't even steal the idea because they're restricted to their own walled garden. You aren't.

Regardless of the keyboard idea, I believe making it easier to like audio would be something unique to Spotify, hence it's good against your competition.

Also, think about how Slack or Gmail change the world: They have a lot of hotkeys - even though those products work without them just as fine. But nerds love hotkeys. Someone else already requested to e.g. start a playlist via a hotkey. I concur!

I'm looking forward to hear feeback from you on this Twitter thread where I already tried to reach out on you: https://twitter.com/sebidscap/status/1133460784267386880

Thank you very much.

Best,
Sebids

Updated on 2019-08-07

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

A similar idea has also been suggested here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Add-shortcuts-hotkeys-to-like-amp-dislike-songs/...

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found: here

0 Likes
Comments
Jemi
Spotify Legend
Status changed to: Duplicate

Updated on 2019-08-07

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

A similar idea has also been suggested here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Add-shortcuts-hotkeys-to-like-amp-dislike-songs/...

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found: here