Announcements

[All Platforms][Other] Make the app accessible for the colour blind

The Shuffle and Repeat icons on iOS and Mac (and I assume elsewhere) use colour to signify their state.

People who suffer from Monochromany (color blindness - seeing all in greyscale) find it hard to infer which state these buttons are (as all they see is tiny contrast change). You can try and see for yourself by choosing 'Use Grayscale' on either the iOS or Mac accessibility preferences.

Can you tell the difference:

Spotify-Shuffle-Off.pngOff

Spotify-Shuffle-On.pngOn

Although meant for the WEB, these icons violate a few WCAG guidelines (contrast and reliance on colour alone).

I suggest you add some extra graphic when these buttons are on - even a tiny dot will do.

Thanks!

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated: 2016-09-12

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Marco
Status changed to: New Idea
Updated: 2015-10-13

Marked as new idea.
This idea will focus on making the app more accessible for COLOR blind people.
A similar idea for more accessibility support has also been suggested here

feepk

Hello,

I'd second this proposal as the aforementioned issue is also problematic for red/green colorblind people, who, according to my lessons in ophthalmology can make up around 5% of the overall population (a bit higher in Scandinavian countries). For red/green colorblind people, there is usually no way to differentiate green from gray, especially in those bright color ranges.

For me, this is a serious impact on the usability of Spotify on iOS and OS X, as I often switch between shuffle and regular playback, but I have no way of telling which mode is on unless I play a couple of tracks.

Adding a small indicator to the existing icons or maybe drawing a few pixels stronger in active mode would already solve the issue.

Thanks a lot for your product and let's hope this is taken in account 🙂

jamesmtaylor

Brilliant. I got sent to this forum via @SpotifyCares on twitter. I've been trying to lobby this for a while, find it quite shocking how similar they are. It would be such a small change for a small minority of people, but it would be appreciated so much.

Tzarikins
Gotta boost this to production - this should not be difficult to implement! It's not just for the colorblind - even just wearing sunglasses I can't tell if shuffle/repeat are enabled or not.
Marco
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated: 2016-09-12

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!