[All Platforms][Other] Opting Out of Artists/Content

The option to “opt-out” of certain artists and/or content has been a recurrent need in the Spotify community – as evidenced from community posts dated 2012 requesting a feature that prevents unsubscribed artists from appearing on curated or trending playlists recommended to users by Spotify. In 2017, the “case was closed” after 4000+ up-votes with no action taken by Spotify.

As paid subscribers, Spotify users can direct their support to artists, allowing for accurate “streaming numbers” that credit the artists’ work. In the same metric, paid subscribers should be able to “opt-out” of artists that they do not want to support financially (for whatever reason).

I would not go out and buy a Chris Brown record because he is a misogynist abuser of women and I will not be involved in supporting his career. However, I have no way of ensuring that his content does not stream on my account when using Spotify features I pay for. If an artist get paid per stream – I require the freedom to opt-out of that artist.

This is not an “up-voting” issue, but more, a fundamental membership issue that contributes to an unsafe user experience. This is not simply a matter of “not wanting to hear artists who are against my views” but rather, not wanting to support artists who are criminal offenders. I just assume this would be a priority for Spotify.  

It may not be a popular feature with artists, not based on the 4000+ community up-votes, it is essential to users.

Updated on 2018-12-18

As you mentioned, a similar Idea has also been suggested, and only one thread can exist per idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Block-Hide-Blacklist-tracks-or-artists/idi-p/22389

Any update on the matter should be posted there.

For more info on how the Ideas Board works, click here. :)

Comments
ssharkdadd

I totally agree with this! Personally I just ignore the artists that I personally believe do not deserve my support. And I think Spotify should definitely have an option to block artists. 

Juan961

Esta función debió agregarce hace mucho, pero al parecer a spotify no le interesa la opinion de sus clientes, ellos ofrecen un servicio y por lo tanto deberían consideran la opinión de los que pagamos, segun e leído hay otras ideas que si a aceptado, pero porque la idea de bloquear no la implementa? Sera que los artistas son los que no le dan permiso, si, suena estúpido, pero igualmente estupido es que no implementen esta opción.

Hace unas semanas les escribí en redes sociales para que tomaran en cuenta mi sugerencia, pero lo que hicieron es mandarme al caso del 2012 el cual estaba cerrado, senti que me querian ver la cara de **bleep** al mandarme a un caso cerrado de hace 6 años, si este foro se cierra de igual manera y no la toman en cuenta me iré a buscar otras app de música que si me permitan bloquear contenido que no es de mi agrado.

wanderphx
Casual Listener

Props!  Social responsibility.

ThomasJay
Regular

One of the "artists" that was recommended to me is the criminal offender who was not granted BAIL today because of his criminal activity. 

http://time.com/5459045/tekashi-6ix9ine-arrested-racketeering/

Spotify, be a leader here. We do not want to line the pockets of abusers, pedophiles, misogynists, and rapists. 

Do the right thing, and deliver on this essential feature. This is a user safety issue, as well as a lack of transparency as to how my subscription dollars are being spent. 

deacc

I totally agree with this. Moreover, we should be able to downvote suggestions that appears on the playlist we have created.  

As a paid subscriber, I shouldn't be forced to see names I have no interest in.  The names I blacklists are ones I don't consider them as singers therefore will never listen.  

Rock Star 22
Rock Star 22
Status changed to: Duplicate

Updated on 2018-12-18

As you mentioned, a similar Idea has also been suggested, and only one thread can exist per idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Block-Hide-Blacklist-tracks-or-artists/idi-p/22389

Any update on the matter should be posted there.

For more info on how the Ideas Board works, click here. :)