Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] Please make genderstar in german language optional

Hello Team,

as i wrote in the subject, i would like to request you to create a second kind of german language setting, one "traditional german" option and one "gender sensitve" option for those who like this more than the traditional german.

For me i have to say that the gender sensitive variant of the german language is really hard to read and gives with every star within the words an opstacle.

Thanks in advance and best regards

Thomas

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Case Closed status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
Fuxband

Spotify won't change anything! It's their political path and they won't change it only because of this poll. No matter how many votes it will get. The only vote which might make them start to think about it somewhere in the far future with many many users doing it like that, is to cancel your Spotify Premium account. That's what i've done already. I went to a streaming service which is able to communicate in correct German and instead of Spotfiy i now pay them.

Ver
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2022-02-11

Hello,

Thank you for submitting your suggestion in our Ideas section.

Currently there are no plans for changing the German version of the app. As such, we're closing this idea.

Should this change in the future, we'll make sure to post an update.

This is absolutely horrible. I just wrote a long post and it was deleted, because of some spotify issue.

Well. Anyways. I was a long time subscriber since 2010 or so and I quit my subscription when Gendersterne became a thing in Spotify. I only will subscribe again, when those are removed and everything has been reverted to normal.

This is a disservice, not a service. Why won't Spotify service me? Well. They don't want my money I guess.

All these weird changes that have nothing to do with music.

Do one thing and do it right.

If you want to make something actual good for gender equality, then maybe pay the same wages for everyone and also commit to being transparent with wages and push this to states, so everyone benefits from it. But such changes are just empty changes for a small annying minority that isn't even affected by such things. Don't be that guy. Or even better: just don't get involved with politics to begin with.

Cheers.

boennhoff

I am also very uncomfortable with the gender-sensitive german, it feels wrong and pushy to me!

To me the closing of all the ideas about this topic sums up to: Spotify selectively ignores minorities!

What is the difference between the minority of non-binary persons and the seeming minority of people that dislike a non-standardized german translation of the spotify UI?

Why discriminating another "minority" if the solution is so simple:

1. Provide a second "Traditional German" translation (use the old translation as source, git anyone?)
  2. Provide a possibility to change the spotify language on mobile devices (yeeah, NEW FEATURE!)

Both tasks should be easily doable for a single developer knowing the codebase in less than 8h!

How easy to make all customers happy, without dismissing your political agenda...

PS: As a last resort just implement option 2, so we are able to switch to the english translation on our mobile devices at least...

m1b

Dear Spotify,

please revert to common German or finally make the useage of the Gernder*German dialect optional. I'm still not willing to use "Gernder" based German dialects, so Spotify is forcing me as a German to use English in the language options instead. I personally think, it's a disgrace for companies to use language as a medium for marketing purposes. So please act!

nominealex

Hallo, wann erhalten wir endlich die Option, diese Form der Sprache zu deaktivieren? @SpotifySupport

tomjoe-ler

Diese Option wirst du in diesem Laden nicht mehr erhalten. Die sind so ideologisch verstrahlt, daß denen die Nutzer, die noch Wert auf korrektes Deutsch legen, völlig egal sind. Änderung ist nur möglich durch den Wechsel zu einem anderen Anbieter, wie ich es schon längst gemacht haben. Sollen sie mit ihrem Sch.. untergehen, mir egal

DerNomade

Nachdem ich feststellen musste, das Spotify die Wünsche der deutschsprachigen User bzgl. der Wahlfreiheit  der Sprachwahl ignoriert, habe ich meine Konsequenzen daraus gezogen und nach fast 10 Jahren mein Abo beendet.

Inzwischen streame ich Musik in CD-Qualität bei einem Mitbewerber der in seiner App-Oberfläche nicht diesen gruseligen Genderquatsch macht.

Gleicher Preis, bessere Qualität und nach ein paar Wochen intensiver Nutzung passen auch die persönlichen Mixe 🙂

Also Spotify hat mich auf Grund seiner Ignoranz selbst englischsprachige Begriffe zu gendern, dauerhaft als User verloren!

kingofthehill

Albeit Spotify already told the community of 700+ people to basically f*ck off, here's what I'd like to have:

- make proper language without wrong Asterisk or the use of the seemingly more broad Gender-approach to use words like "Studierende" instead of "Studenten" and make it the default language for german

- add a Button that will allow users to enable Gender-Sprech if they like to have it

- make measurements that will check how many people are opting in to have the grammatically wrong form of German as their default German and based on these metrics, decide which form should be the default but leave the button to switch to the respectively other version so that people can enjoy the app exactly how they like to do.

Dismissing this idea will not just cause (some) cancellations, it will also bring a real alternative to use. Right now, I have switched to english, but I am not paying for this service in order not to see it in my mother language. I want proper German, not Gender-Ideology stuff.

m1b

There even have been proper surveys: The Allensbach institute found, the majority of Germans (71%) aren't using Gender*Deutsch and don't think it's important to use it. Even a majoirity of young Germans don't want to use it (65%).

https://www.ifd-allensbach.de/fileadmin/kurzberichte_dokumentationen/FAZ_Juni2021_Meinungsfreiheit.p...

Make Gender*Deutsch optional or roll it finally back!