Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] Please make genderstar in german language optional

Hello Team,

as i wrote in the subject, i would like to request you to create a second kind of german language setting, one "traditional german" option and one "gender sensitve" option for those who like this more than the traditional german.

For me i have to say that the gender sensitive variant of the german language is really hard to read and gives with every star within the words an opstacle.

Thanks in advance and best regards

Thomas

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Case Closed status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
Slytzel

There is a proclamation by linguists and other language experts to stop the use of the gender speach sincf it is anti scientific and based on false assumptions. It is mere ideology and not politically neutral. Spotify is supporting this and is alienating a lot of customers.

The proclamation has been signed by over 350 language experts, among them a lot of important ones like members of the Rechtschreibrat:

https://www.linguistik-vs-gendern.de/

der_t

I think we have to accept the fact that sometimes companies don't do what the customer satisfies but rather what they think will lead to a better world. They will not change it because they want us to get accustomed.

But there is a a strategy out: Optional Gender language in apps must become a general practice standard - just as gender wording became now standard in so many other applications. If it's discriminating to no refer to people according to their gender, it's also discriminating not to let people choose, right?  Fighting intolerance with intolerance.

Once other important apps will make this optional, spotify will act accordingly - or at least need to justify why they don't. Now they just ignore.

kingofthehill

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/All-Platforms-Other-Add-an-alternative-german-tran...

There is this "new"**bleep** share this link in your social media stories and posts to get more attention to it. Maybe Spotify attempts to listen to their users this time.

kingofthehill

Crazy, their censor filter is not even good.

A t t e m p t to remove the Gender Star. Maybe it works now. 😉

Buddie89

How comes that a Company and their member*innen know better what the users*innen want?

And its not like the women get empowered by that. They hate it, too! 

DerNomade

My petition from the beginning of the year was closed after a few days and integrated into this thread.

Proponents of gender * discriminate against the opinion of other people and the male gender, because in German some terms are "neutered" (e.g. Förder:in instead of Förderer) .

In addition, they are anti-democratic, because according to various surveys 65 - 85% of German-speaking respondents are against the gender language are, or consider it unnecessary and excessive.

Here is a survey from Civey that proves this statement.

www.civey.dewww.civey.de

(In January the rejection was still 80%).

IMHO here the opinion of a minority is forced on a majority.

And the gender * is also sexist, because it reduces people only to their gender.

DerNomade

And here is another one

07-12-2022_14-33-42.png

AlejaR
Status changed to: Closed - Doesn't Meet Requirements

Updated on 2022-12-07

Hey @Sacer,

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

We’re closing this idea since it doesn’t meet one of our Idea Exchange guidelines, namely “Checking for existing ideas”.

That idea you kindly sent us is still open for votes - feel free to add your vote to it in the thumbs up icon!

We just want to clarify that even though the status is set as Case Closed, it doesn't mean the idea has been rejected. We’d suggest adding your vote and subscribing to it to get notified as soon as we have any updates to share.

We’ve made sure to transfer over all the votes gathered here to the original idea.

If you have additional suggestions to add, you can leave your comments on that original thread. If you think your idea should be considered as separate, feel free to submit it again highlighting how your idea is distinct from the existing one.

Cheers!

Klangerlebnis

I would comeback to Spotify IF the app uses regular German again (and NOT ideological Gendersprech).

German uses three genders BUT these make NO statements about gender. See in this regard Das Genussystem im Deutschen.