[All Platforms][Playlists] Ability to branch from a playlist but still get updates

Hi, I've seen one suggestion of my idea posted before, but it never garnered enough support so I've decided the try again.

The playlist/sharing system is an important part of how many Spotify users organize and discover music. I often follow playlists with songs I enjoy listening to. But sometimes these playlists have songs that aren't that great, and to prevent having to skip them I usually copy the playlist and remove the songs. But at this point I have my own playlist, and the music in that playlist is not influenced at all by the user I was originally following, which means I won't as easily discover new music the user adds to the playlist (unless I manually check).

My suggestion is to have an option to "branch" from a playlist (or fork a playlist, however you may want to call it). You will have full control over this new playlist, you can add songs, remove songs, share it, etc. However, this playlist will always stay connected to its parent playlist, and whenever songs are added to this parent playlist, the owner of the child playlist can see this, and elect to have these songs added to the child playlist.

This way I can currate my own playlist and remove songs I don't like, while still receiving updates from the playlist I was originally following. I think this would be an excellent way to combine the fact that most users want a degree of control over their playlists, but also want to discover new music by following playlists of others. 

TL;DR: Playlists can have "children" playlists that get notifications whenever songs are added to the parent playlist, but other than that are in full control of the person who elected to create a "child" playlist. 

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated: 2016-06-21

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
blake
Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea
Updated: 2015-06-23

Marked as new idea. This idea is a repost of the following inactive idea.

dezibelmedizin
Casual Listener

This feature would be so nice.

Found a good 2000s playlist yesterday, but it didn't have "White Flag" in it. Right now there is now way to add the song and keep updated at the same time without manually updating.

Floorlamp

The GitHub model works for code, why not generalize it for any curated collection? The already collaborative and social nature of Spotify playlists would fit extremely well with forking and merging.

TheFragen

This just makes sense. There is so much wasted potential with the social aspect of playlists in Spotify.

cklar

Would be a feature which would highlight spotify in the whole market

dcoope05

This is the feature that I would like to see the most from Spotify.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated: 2016-06-21

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!