Announcements

[All Platforms][Playlists] Add a song on the top/bottom of your playlist option

Currently, when you add a new song to your playlist, it's automatically added to the bottom of your playlist if it's custom ordered. I have a playlist with over 400 songs that I moved from youtube by using a third party tool. Now when I add a new song I have to move it from the bottom to the top manually, which takes a while, because I have to go thru all 400 songs. I know about the sorting by date added, but when I do it, the songs that I ported are reversed, because the porting tool imported them from the first one to the last.

In youtube there is an option called "Add new videos to top of playlist" which you can turn on and off and if you could add the same thing it would be great. 
As a developer, I see this as not so hard to implement and it would really help me and a lot of other people for sure. It was suggested a while ago, but the idea was closed and probably forgotten.

Updated on 2021-03-22

Thank you for bringing your feedback to the Spotify Community!

Your suggestion didn’t quite reach 180 votes in 6 months. Users can still vote on this idea - if it gets enough votes, Spotify will still check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

Comments
DanielRJBR
Casual Listener

Here is a workaround for this problem, that works on the desktop client

Step 1: add your new song or songs to the playlist (they will appear at the bottom)
Step 2: find the "Filter" field at the top of the playlist.

Step 3: start typing the name or artist of the last song you added. Type until you have filtered your list down to a few songs (two or more, NOT just one).

Step 4: drag the last song to the top of the filtered list.

Step 5: clear the filter. BOOM! Your song should now appear at the top of the entire playlist!
Step 6: repeat for the remaining songs, in reverse order

Note: this method is especially effective when adding many songs with a common property (eg, by the same artist). In this case, after filtering down by this property, it is possible to "select all" the new songs (using ctrl-A (Windows) or command-A (Mac)) and dragging the whole group to the top of the filtered set at once. They will appear at the top of the playlist once the filter is removed.

As before, for this to work it is necessary to have at least ONE more song in the filtered list, apart from the ones you wish to move to the top. If there are none, i.e., if all the filtered songs are to be moved, this can be done in two steps: i) deselect temporarily the top song in the filtered list (with a ctrl/command - right mouse click), and drag all remaining songs over it. They will now be at the top of the full playlist. Then follow the steps above for the remaining song.

Good luck!

DanielRJBR
Casual Listener

removed repost, sorry

Jacob
Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2021-03-22

Thank you for bringing your feedback to the Spotify Community!

Your suggestion didn’t quite reach 180 votes in 6 months. Users can still vote on this idea - if it gets enough votes, Spotify will still check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

osornios
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Related Ideas