[All Platforms][Playlists] Left Side Playlist Menu Optimization

One of Spotify's greatest strengths in the market is playlist creation, sharing and updating. I love this. In fact, after having played around with competing streaming brands, Spotify has been an essential tool for new music discovery, and this is all due in huge part to a few features that I love. "Continuous music streams" (when an album or playlist ends, the app will play likened songs and bands. As well as "rewind" and "daily mix" features. Spotify is using its powers for musical brilliance !. 

With this in mind - I have created probably about 60 + playlists, and I  find myself subscribing to a lot of the suggested lists made my Spotify. So when it comes to finding these playlists later in the left-hand menu - I have found that it becomes a very long "scroll and search" experience, which jokingly also might be called "prolonged search and rescue". 

The left panel of playlists is supposed to be a quick way for us to find what we are looking for, based on what we have created, and what we have saved. When these lists pile up, it actually becomes just the opposite !. 

MY SUGGESTION: 

"Folders for playlists" 

This would look like the same left-hand menu for playlists, only, you would be able to create an organization master "title" tab/folder with the playlists of genre and your choice to be placed within it. When you scroll over the main title, it would bring up your playlists added to it and you would select the playlist of choice from there. 

For example, as a die-hard Tori Amos fan, I have created about 15-20 varying playlists of her songs in different themes. I would "create" a "Tori Amos" folder, and when I hover over it with my cursor,  or perhaps on android/ios when I tap the folder, it would bring up all of the listed playlists to select from. 

Or what about all of my "dance music" playlists made by Spotify, or the many "by Spotify" playlists that I have saved ?. I could then create a master folder called "by Spotify" and place all of those playlists within that so that I know directly where to find them; and quickly !. 

Currently, the left-hand playlist control center is too packed, and it is unorganized. I know that we have control to reorganize where these playlists are in stacking order. But I think it is the time that we become a little bit more three dimensional with the experience of playlist control. 

Thank you for considering this suggestion. Please let me know if you have any questions in regard to more idea details. The photo sample below does not include the 40 + playlists below what you see. And it is for this reason, that I think we need to be able to clean and control just how crowded that left side menu appears; by creating the "tabs and folders" option. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 11.18.24 AM.png
0 Likes

Related Ideas

Comments
puawai

Playlist folders have been around for a few years now! You can only create them on desktop as far as I'm aware, but once they're created, you can access them on mobile like normal. Just right click any playlist, and the drop down box will offer you an option to create a new folder, which you can then drag around and rename like you would a playlist.

Status changed to: Case Closed

Hey @Seanpaulcurran,

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

This feature has already been implemented on desktop, as @puawai suggested. You can find out more about it here.

You can find out more about how the Idea Exchange works here.

Thanks! Stay awesome